Need Input from Car enthusiasts - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,493, Level: 21 Points: 1,493, Level: 21 Points: 1,493, Level: 21
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Need Input from Car enthusiasts

Not sure if this is where I should start this thread, so Mods if it needs to be moved feel free to do so, I signed up to be a contributor on ksl.com,(a local news website is Utah) mainly cause I enjoy writng and reading articles about things that I am passionate about, I submitted an idea for a article that I am currently titling "Overlooked when Purchased" which in a nutshell is the things people don't think about when they purchase a new/used car i.e. parts prices,labor rates, replacement keys, major services, and it got approved for me to go ahead and write.

So the reason I am telling all of you this is that I would love any input anybody would be willing to share, if you were the vehicle purchaser or on the other side of the counter and had to explain to someone the price of a part or labor, I know I have had quite a few of my customers ask me if I was kidding about some prices on parts, and I just think making people think about things other than insurance rates and gas mileage would be beneficial to them and those of us that work in the automotive field.

Thank you for reading my long winded expalnation and thank everyone in advance for any information or advice you give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68

Shopping for cars that share a platform will usually mean cheaper parts. XK parts are only as cheap as they are because we share most our parts with the WK. Fords new concept will put several products all based off of one platform. I've found parts for Ford and GM that fit my jeep. Jeep didn't sell the part separately. Also how long has the model been in production? If its the first year well, cheap parts and after market support won't be there versus a vehicle in its 5th production year. But when it boils down to it we tend to buy maybe whats cool or has the best MPG's or just the biggest engine in it. Not sure you can change those things for people who are passionate about autos. I bought my jeep because it was cool capable and could do what I needed done. A 20% rake in parts cost would not have stopped me and obviously MPG's didn't stop me either or the maintenance schedule. Maybe people who just look at cars as transportation from A to B will consider all those factors. IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

THANK YOU SAL, I didn't really think about it from that point of view and that will be a second perspective that will help me when writing this story.

I just know from my experience as a parts guy that I get a lot of customers who seem shocked when hearing parts prices for the first time for their vehicle. Our service department had to take down the major service price board cause salesman didn't want to take the customer on a walk around to the different departments to introduce them cause they were afraid of them seeing the prices.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM

if parts are outrageous so is the price of the vehicle (normally) as well and you should be able to afford said parts or you shouldn't be driving the thing. I will do 90% of my own repairs and service so I know I'm not adding labor to those parts either. But as I said earlier I like what I like and I will not buy an ugly vehicle thats slow as heck even if it gets good MPG's and the alternator costs $20. Now an exception to this is if I were to buy a second vehicle for myself to save gas and wear and tear on my jeep and it was only to be used for basic to and from work transportation. Then I would consider things like cost of parts and operation expenses like gas, maintenance and such.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

But that is the exact reason I am writing this article,

I know that a foreign vehicle's parts are usually more expensive then a domestic's, we as car enthusiasts and or automotive field employees know what to expect with our vehicles and can usually do the repairs ourselves or have a friend to help, my main reason for wanting to write this is to open the eyes of everyone else i.e. professionals, doctors, business men, that when you purchase that vehicle new or used that after the warranty stage is over you are paying for the repairs at X amount for parts and labor.

and you would be surprised how many people b!tch about paying $90 for brake pads for a 50k + vehicle. But thank you again Sal, you are really helping me find where I need and want this article to go and what "demographic" I am speaking to.

Thanks Again
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

The price of brakes, they are so vast depending on the car. My Z06 has relatively cheap brakes, but my GTO was super expensive for rotors. Also oil changes.... some cars take 4qts of cheap-o oil... some cars take 10 quarts of top-of-the-line synthetic.
one of the biggest things overlooked is TAX on the vehicle. Even with 3% sales tax, a car that's 30k is still gonna cost another 1k.
Tires.... tires are quite expensive and have to be replaced with the quickness once they are done. Remember, they're the only thing between you and the road! I hate it when people can't afford tires and then buy the cheapest ****tiest tires made.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

S**t the tires that come o.e on the new camaro's with the 21" offset run around $450 a tire, thats what they should tell you before you go and smoke a set showing off your new ride
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebirdyman View Post
S**t the tires that come o.e on the new camaro's with the 21" offset run around $450 a tire, thats what they should tell you before you go and smoke a set showing off your new ride
Holy crap thats expensive. At that price you need to setup an escrow account when you by that car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in