I hate buying a car... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
I hate buying a car...

...but yet want to buy a new one and trade the XK in. There's nothing wrong with my XK, but I've had it for five years and want to get something new.

I went and looked at a new 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, marked at $41,513 so they can move it since they've had it on their lat since February. So I went through the routine, got my truck appraised and got their number, and that's where the "fun" began. They came back at me with $8000, and I just laughed! I told them that was way too low, and that I'd had the XK appraised for more money at another dealer, which was true. I also had my NADA, KBB, and Black Book reports that show at least $11k for my XK, including the hit for high mileage. The GSM came over and we talked about it, and he acted like he was doing me a favor by "stretching" to get me to $9k on the XK. He also suggested I take it to Carmax and get it appraised, which I might do just to see what numbers they give. Needless to say, I got up and left, and asked them to call me if they can do better so we can make a deal.

Granted, I know my truck has a value, but to not even try to work with me to get to an agreeable deal on my truck so they can sell a truck they've had on their lot since January, especially on a crappy Saturday night at the end of the month, is beyond me. Add that the dealer was completely dead tonight and I'm just floored. What's sad is that the Grand Cherokee they have is optioned out exactly the way I want it, which is why I went there in the first place.

I'm just venting to vent, but has anyone else had this happen to them, especially in down market like this?

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I think I told the story about the first dealer I went to before I purchased my XK, the sales man kept showing me used vehicles because he said I could not afford a Commander. I drove to another dealer the next day and bought my first Commander (which is not the one I have today).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I feel your pain. I'm currently looking to sell the XK and buy a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I haven't found one at a dealer to deal on so I haven't had them lowball me yet but it'll happen I'm sure.

Good luck!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Thanks, I'm going to let them stew a bit and see if they come around. I might try to sell it outright and deal with it then, but would rather trade it and not deal with the hassle of selling it.

'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

What kills me is that all the dealerships I've been to recently looking to trade the Jeep in have had Commanders on the lot of similar MY's with more miles/less options/etc. priced around the $18k range, but then tell me mine is worth about $13k "in the current market."

That tells me one of two things: they can pay me more for my Jeep, or they've got a lot of room to move on the car I'm looking at.

Think I'm going to enjoy the Jeep until snow starts to fall here and everybody remembers 4wd is the way to go, then sell it private party and only have to negotiate the purchase price of the new car at the stealership.

Worst case scenario is that nobody buys my Jeep and I get to play with it in the snow all winter!

Last edited by Kansas1230; 10-30-2011 at 02:42 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: I took my truck to Carmax for an appraisal, and they quoted $10k flat on wholesale. My appraiser said they get a lot of traffic from the other dealers nearby due to the dealers underbidding the trades to make money. I emailed the dealer I was working with and told them, we'll see if they are willing to make any moves.

Ran some quick numbers too, and its probably not worth me trading anyhow since I'm close to paying off my truck and don't really want to restart the payment clock again. At least I know where I stand now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in