new to the fourms - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

new to the fourms

hey guys am new to the fourms i bought a 2007 commander 5.7l hemi v8 it sucks up gas alot hahah so any tips you guys have to help whit the gasmilage if so please let me no i heard about the intake and the exshaust help i just want to see on here if it really makes a diffance is it worth spending the money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Points: 4,967, Level: 45 Points: 4,967, Level: 45 Points: 4,967, Level: 45
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Cruise control 110km/h or 70mi/h is your best friend. I'm still trying to get used to that concept but it is worth it. That is from an '06 hemi driven all over city and Hwy constantly long distances and daily in Ontario point of view.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

IMO, the biggest thing I pick up on regarding mileage is the fuel capacity is too low.
I generally will avoid running below the quarter tank level and because of that capacity, I find myself filling it up more often than my other vehicles that get similar mileage.
This, for me, creates the perception of lousy mileage from a comparative standpoint.
For example, my 97 Chev pickup gets about the same mileage but has a 32 gallon tank.
Although filling that one is financially memorable, the longer period of time between fuel stops creates the perception of better mileage than my 4.7 Commander.
It isn't though.....they get very similar mileage numbers.

So, all that being said, I have grown fairly adept at squeezing the most out of the Commander between fuel stops.
I run the tires at 40psi to minimize rolling resistance.....the difference in ride is minimal and the 5psi varience has not shown any evidence of traction loss in rain or snow.....as a aside, the tread life seems to be extended.
I removed the original copper cored plugs at 30k per the manual and they were replaced with Champion iridium.....this was not to improve mileage but to maintain the mileage I do get for longer periods of time. As anticipated, there was no change in mileage and that was OK.
Be it 4.7 or 5.7, they get almost the same mileage......this is were the gang with the
V6's do better around town regarding fuel usage.....we are feeding 287 or just under 350 cubic inches at idle, the V-6 crowd are feeding only 229? inches......that makes a difference when each is light on the go pedal when the light changes too.

I could go on and on as the others members know.......so, just try to stay within these parameters: Tire pressure is quite high on the list.....ever noticed how easy it is to pedal a bicycle immediatly after restoring the tire pressure? Same applies.
Although the Hemi is incredibly strong from a start, you are heaving over 5000 lbs. of vehicle up to speed.......try a more gentle rollout up to speed......this makes a dramitic difference.....it takes lotsa oats to feed the ponies and the gas pedal is nothing more than a fuel valve connected to your foot.
We have all found, regardless of engine, these things get their best mileage below
2000 rpm......keep an eye on the tach......as soon as you get above 2k rpm or about 70mph the gas gauge begins to race the speedometer.

Low restriction intake systems and low restriction exausts will accomplish nothing regarding mileage if you are operating in the lower rpm ranges......the potental airflow increases will only become evident above 4000 rpm, an engine speed that is rarely operated at on a street vehicle......especially one like this....whats the point IMO.

For now, to see what you can get, next time you are on the highway, set the cruise on 65 mph and then reset the average mileage readout......in about twenty miles you will have a readout that is fairly accurate (assuming stock tire size) for what you currently can attain. Don't be surprised to find a stock, Commander pulling down somewhere between 18 and 21 mpg......not bad for something with the aeros of a refrigerator crate.

Now, if you want to depress yourself, next time you fuel up with no highway travels anticipated, reset the av. mileage and be prepared to see 11 to 15 depending on how many lights you sit at and your acceleration habits.

For whatever it is worth, this applies to all vehicles, not just our Commanders......around towning will eat you alive with any large vehicle.

Fun costs.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new to you Commander,
Rob

Last edited by robby; 12-25-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling error

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79

I don't think you could recover costs to add stuff to a 330 horsepower 5000 pound luxury 4x4 to get better gas mileage. Your best bet is to drive it like a raw eggshell is between your right foot and the peddle and keep it at or below the speed limit ... or keep it parked.

These vehicles were built for capability, luxury, and fun. At least that's why I bought one.

Just enjoy it for what it is.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhj View Post
Cruise control 110km/h or 70mi/h is your best friend. I'm still trying to get used to that concept but it is worth it. That is from an '06 hemi driven all over city and Hwy constantly long distances and daily in Ontario point of view.
Mine gets the best mpg average (about 26 mpg) around 45 mph with the cruise set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Although the Hemi is incredibly strong from a start, you are heaving over 5000 lbs. of vehicle up to speed.......try a more gentle rollout up to speed......this makes a dramitic difference....
Easier said than done -- at least for me. I am addicted to that acceleration power !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2007 View Post
hey guys am new to the fourms i bought a 2007 commander 5.7l hemi v8 it sucks up gas alot hahah so any tips you guys have to help whit the gasmilage if so please let me no i heard about the intake and the exshaust help i just want to see on here if it really makes a diffance is it worth spending the money
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/group.php?groupid=24

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Mine gets the best mpg average (about 26 mpg) around 45 mph with the cruise set.

Easier said than done -- at least for me. I am addicted to that acceleration power !

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/group.php?groupid=24

That's also easier said than done... but it does work when you can get yourself to do it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
That's also easier said than done... but it does work when you can get yourself to do it.
What is your problem ?

Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
What is your problem ?
I just find it hard to stay at 45, but you're right, when I do, I also get good mpg's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
I just find it hard to stay at 45, but you're right, when I do, I also get good mpg's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in