Hi all! New to the forums and 4x4 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi all! New to the forums and 4x4

Hi all,

My name is Jack, I'm fairly new to owning a 4x4 but my brother and I have gone many times back in Tassie.
I have been looking to get one for some time, so today I took a test drive and have now put a deposit down on a 2009 Jeep Commander Limited Sports today from Pakenham Chrysler Jeep.

I just wanted to get an idea of anything I should look out for before a final purchase? Is there anything that are known for wearing early?
I know it comes with a 1 year 150,000km Protection Plan, but I don't want to be stranded out in the sticks somewhere that's all.

Cheers,

Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
You don't say what transmission it has, but if has a 4WD lo make sure it works.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22 Points: 1,580, Level: 22
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

welcome Antix!
I'm relatively new here, and to the commander. But here's a short list of a couple of items that you could look for;
1. Leaking sunroof. This presents not with stains on the headliner, as you would expect, but rather with soggy or separating carpet on the floor of the front seat, or the insulation under the carpet.
2. make sure all windows go up and down easily, both from their individual door switches and from the driver's master-switch.
3. As someone else mentioned: the 4lo needs to work. There is / was an active recall referred to as N23, which seems to have cause the majority of owners (among those who have had the recall performed) to experience a "service 4wd system" error, and no 4lo. There's what looks to be a corrective flash available from JEEP. we're all holding our breath to make sure it really works long-term.

None of the items above should scare you away from ownership. They have repairs that are not horrible, especially if you're handy.

Other than that; make sure the car has been well-maintained, with frequent oil changes & etc. You don't say how many miles (oops: km ) are on it. I put the build quality somewhere between my Mercedes ML (incredibly stout) and my BMW X5 (a tin-car). In other words: it all comes down to how it's maintained. The CanBus system seems to be robust with few failures, but it makes finding specific electrical problems more difficult (read expensive). I think your HEMI, like mine, will have a hydraulically-operated cooling fan. It shares a reservoir / pump with the power steering, so when my power-steering pump went out, that $150 repair looked more like a $1500 repair. I've vowed to do a steering fluid exchange every time I do the transmission, to avoid that pain ever again.

Good luck!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Something to be aware of is that they are temperamental when it comes to batteries. Make sure it has a new quality battery.

Also the yellow starter wire is something that I would address sooner rather than later. It corrodes right @ the connector (on the starter solenoid) and can cause a non start issue. Clip the connector off @ the jacket and replace it along with dielectric grease and good heatshrink.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81

I haven't heard that the Commander was temperamental with battery's. BUT, I think most modern vehicles are far more temperamental with battery's. A lot more electrical equipment and thus a much higher draw of electricity, plus all the micro-processor/semi-conductors, those are very sensitive to voltage and current. Commanders are NOT the only one you hear the stories of a weak battery causing windshield wipers to turn on all by themselves.

If you have a V6, you likely have the NAG1/WA580 trans, if you have a V8, you likely have the 545RE trans. The NAG1/WA580 will have a plug on the dip stick tube and no dipstick, the plug will say, "Dealer Service Only". The 545RE will have dipstick. The 545RE of the early years for the Commander had a faulty filter that could leak and would cause problems on first starts in the morning. It can be fixed by fluid and filter change. The NAG1/WA580 can be serviced and fluid level checked by the owner, if you're willing to go the extra steps and be very precise about it. You can buy the measuring tool off ebay, figure out a way to measure the fluid temp and find the chart for level vs temp off the internet.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I haven't heard that the Commander was temperamental with battery's. BUT, I think most modern vehicles are far more temperamental with battery's. A lot more electrical equipment and thus a much higher draw of electricity, plus all the micro-processor/semi-conductors, those are very sensitive to voltage and current. Commanders are NOT the only one you hear the stories of a weak battery causing windshield wipers to turn on all by themselves.

If you have a V6, you likely have the NAG1/WA580 trans, if you have a V8, you likely have the 545RE trans. The NAG1/WA580 will have a plug on the dip stick tube and no dipstick, the plug will say, "Dealer Service Only". The 545RE will have dipstick. The 545RE of the early years for the Commander had a faulty filter that could leak and would cause problems on first starts in the morning. It can be fixed by fluid and filter change. The NAG1/WA580 can be serviced and fluid level checked by the owner, if you're willing to go the extra steps and be very precise about it. You can buy the measuring tool off ebay, figure out a way to measure the fluid temp and find the chart for level vs temp off the internet.
I'd have to agree with that train of thought.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
The yellow starter wire is something that I would address sooner rather than later. It corrodes right @ the connector (on the starter solenoid) and can cause a non start issue. Clip the connector off @ the jacket and replace it along with dielectric grease and good heat shrink.[/QUOTE]

I had starter problems from day 180 (06 XK) once resolved no more problems. I had a new wiring harness installed, after 3 starter were replaced. Probably in 07, so I figure that you are good to go. The yellow connector is a push-on connector and hard to reach, from what I have read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in