Any Regrets - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 759, Level: 14 Points: 759, Level: 14 Points: 759, Level: 14
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Any Regrets

Have an '06 Commander and she's the 4.7L V8. I've had it since May and love it a lot but I must admit this is the most non fuel efficient vehicle I've ever had. I had a '05 Jeep WK prior to this so I'm used to low mpg's but this is even worse. I average 12.7 which in today's day and age is pretty bad. Anyone feel the same way? Considering trading it in or just gonna stick with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

To be honest, this is probably all perspective. We obviously did not buy Commanders for the fuel economy. We either bought them because we love the looks, like the capabilities, like the interior space, or some other reasons. I don't believe this is a daily driver for long commutes, this is where it'll hurt the most.

I'm on my second Commander though. A few years back I drove a 2008 3.7L Commander to and from work. I was putting in about 90 miles a day. This was during the time that gas prices peaked in Chicago at close to $5 a gallon so I was forced to trade it in for something more fuel efficient. Now I'm blessed that I work downtown so I'm on public transportation during the week. I missed my Commander so much that I went back to one as soon as I wasn't commuting like before. I traded in my 4 cylinder Malibu and went with another 2008, but this time with a Hemi. I own the vehicle that I really like and I'm happy. I plan to keep it now until I can pass it on to my son. Yes it does suck at the pump but I don't mind it this time around. I have made some mods that help with the fuel economy but again, I don't own it for it's fuel efficiency.

I guess my point is that it all depends on your situation, if it's your daily driver and you're hurting at the pump multiple times a week then you'll probably have to make that tough decision. Otherwise keep it for the reason you bought it in the first place- looks, abilities, practical, spacious, etc. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82 Points: 16,407, Level: 82
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Well said, I have 140K on my 06 I am spending more on it than I should, but I want to keep it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:04 AM
Points: 33,584, Level: 100 Points: 33,584, Level: 100 Points: 33,584, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 106,000
Garage
Yes gas economy would be great - but you have a "Brick" with high wind resistance. I have a 4.7 WK and the 5.7 XK. Drive the commander most of the time because I love it and the Hemi. I think the Hemi gets a little better MPG than the 4.7. We are retired and do not drive a whole lot - 2006 with 62,000 miles. By the way I get 18MPG highway/14MPG city with the Hemi, my WK 4.7 gets 16MPG highway. We live in TN where gas is $1.74 this morning - that helps a whole lot. If I had to commute I would definitely look for something else if the cost was killing me. I had a 1949 Plymouth 6 cylinder that could barely get 10 MPG!

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rblapham; 10-30-2015 at 07:09 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 04:23 PM
AL_Jazz

I have owned over a dozen Jeeps of various models including several Commanders. Each has their place and their purpose...but I keep coming back to the Commanders. I buy them because I love how they drive/cruise on trips, love the power of the Hemi, love the cargo space, and love the capabilities off road. Can it do as well as my JKU Rubicons I've had previously...no, but for 98% of where I go and what I do, I am completely satisfied with the capabilities. As stated above, we all have our reasons for buying a Jeep, but fuel economy is rarely on that list (ok, my Mom's Patriot gets her 24-26 MPG but she is 63...)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37 Points: 3,552, Level: 37
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Bought for the QDII and Hemi. I've never had a a fuel efficient vehicle except my brother's 88 civic which was awesome, but I don't drive it excessively weekly, and on trips it still gets better than my supercrew and expedition, all of which were lifted, like my commander. But this jeep is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. My only issue is the AC has a leak, and the blend doors are broken , but I'll fix it one day ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I would have rather had a Wrangler, but at the time we still had kids young enough that the 7 passenger option really appealed to us. A few years later, I divorce the ex, and end up with the Commander when she can't afford the gas for her commute to her job. So if I knew then, how things would have turned out, I would have gotten a Wrangler.

Still, its been a good vehicle for me, brakes and OEM tires lasted way longer than anyone would have expected. Only problem that was NOT normal and expected was the AC evaporator springing a leak, that was a huge pain replacing it myself.

Like everyone else, gas mileage is a re-occurring Ouch and rethinking if its the best vehicle for me.

Of course, since I got divorced and how things panned out with vehicles for the Ex and kids, I ended up with a vehicle with more room than I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in