burning rubber smell - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Off-Topic Discussions This area houses Off-Topic discussion that does NOT involve the Jeep Commander.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mongo
  • 1 Post By Mongo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

burning rubber smell

i have not had problems with my commander but recently i noticed a burning smell while driving and engine revving more then usual while on hiway doing 65 rpm are @3000 almost not normal and it smells like burning rubber i checked all exhaust pipes no plastic on them or in engine compartment also when truck shifts sometimes it does a erratic shift and noisy but it runs great any suggestions on were to look its a 2007 commander 3.7 90.000 miles i use synthectic oil in truch and regular gas please help with sugestions smell is nausiating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95 Points: 24,692, Level: 95
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
I am going to take a shot in the dark here and say that you should check your engine's serpentine belt.

It sounds to me like your serpentine belt is loose and needs to be tightened - or it's very worn and needs to be replaced altogether.

The burnt rubber you are smelling could be the serpentine belt (which is primarily rubber) slipping through the engine drive/tension pullies and burning due to either being too loose (in which case you'd have to tighten it) or due to being very stretched, worn and/or cracked (in which case you'd have to get it replaced).

This would also explain why your engine has been revving more than usual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-27-2016 at 06:33 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

If the smell is nauseating, then it must be pretty strong.

Look to see if you have fluids that are leaking and burning? Check all fluid levels, including opening the radiator pressure cap (only when the engine is cold) to make sure the fluid is all the way up in the radiator.

The NAG1 trans for the 3.7L doesn't have a dip stick. I'd get the fluid level checked. You complain of trans symptoms but don't know the fluid level. Check the lines from the cooler, where the metal meets the rubbers flexible sections, that's likely to leak from that location. Trans fluid burning on the engine would make a bad smell, and low trans fluid will make the trans operate poorly.

The 3.7L has a self-tensioner. Doesn't mean the self -tensioner can't go bad and NOT tension the belt properly. As well, the belt may be damaged or worn out, so yes it could make a smell if its slipping and the friction burning it up.
luckyse7ens likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

Thanks guys belt is good brand new i went to dealer for them to check tranny fluid all good and asked them about the sympthom he told me good luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Are you saying the belt was replaced recently, therefore you haven't even checked it and automatically eliminated it as a possible cause?

OR
Are you saying the belt was replaced recently and you checked it and it still looks brand new with no signs of damage or glazing?

There is a big difference, and something can go wrong installing a belt. I installed a new belt on my Daughters Cherokee, and she complained of a strong burning rubber smell, the belt tearing apart with little chunks of it being throw all over the engine compartment. So if you haven't double checked the new belt is still good, do it.

As well, I'm puzzled at your Dealer, I can understand if you brought the vehicle to have trans fluid level checked, he wasn't going to start a 2nd job without a work order. BUT, if you describe a strong burning rubber smell, so strong it is nauseating in the passenger compartment, and his reply to you is; "good luck"?

You have to look over the entire engine and exhaust for any evidence of burning or leaking fluids on hot parts of the exhaust and engine. This could be a fire hazard, if the smell is as strong as you say. Look over all the wiring is visible, shorts will burn the wiring.
luckyse7ens likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Points: 1,080, Level: 17 Points: 1,080, Level: 17 Points: 1,080, Level: 17
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 50,000
If a dealer told me good luck, I would go off. I never go to the dealer so that will never happen to me. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in