Jeep Commander Forum banner

OEM Hitch size is whack!

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  BADOS 
#1 ·
I just bought a receiver for my 08 Commander and it seems that the receiver fits loosely. I tried the receiver on my 4Runner and it fits perfectly with no movement. So I decided to take my Commander to the dealership and they said that it is normal for Jeep vehicles because they use a universal hitch metric system. Apparently a 2" receiver in other countries is a fraction of an inch bigger than it is in North America. Has anyone here noticed the bigger hitch in our Jeeps and is it safe to tow my boat (within capacity)?

#2 ·
I installed a "D" ring shackle in the receiver hitch and did not notice any extra play, I have never installed a bar with a tow ball on it yet but would assume they are the same size.

#3 · (Edited)
You can tow as much as you want its not going anywhere but just to let you know its going to be LOUD!!! The little bit of extra room makes it sound like a couple bowling balls are rolling around in the back. I wasn't happy with the fit at first but if you wrap some duct-tape around the hitch it takes some of the rattle away. I have towed a trailer way outside of the "capacity" and although it was not a good idea to tow a 9000lb trailer with 500lb tounge weight it didn't have any affect on the reciever.

#4 ·
I had the same issue and solved it also by wrapping Duck tape around the bar. I'm towing a 3500 lbs boat/trailer and hear nothing anymore.

#5 ·
Thanks for the prompt response guys. I guess i have to put some duct tape around the hitch mount. I just wondered why they designed it that way for international standards.

#6 ·
It's definately normal bro! Mine was going crazy, where I thought the trailer was coming off and hitting the back of the XK every bump I went over. Wrapping the hitch is the only way to fix it, unless u weld on an 1/8" thick plate to 2 adjacent sides to snug it up.

#7 ·
I powdercoated my stinger, maybe that is why it fit better?

#9 ·
Maybe it was the same kind of thinking that caused the AK-47 assualt rifle in Viet Nam to use a slightly larger round than our standard 7.62 nato round for the M-14. They could pick up and use our ammo but theirs would not fit in our rifles, (not that we would want to use their's that might be sabotaged). Sorry, just a little flashback there.

#10 ·
Now that you bring this up, I've noticed the extra play and noise. I'll try the duct tape trick.

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
#13 ·
#15 ·
This is the reason my wife makes me take the "D" Shackle off the Jeep when she is driving it for extended periods of time. The clanking drives her mad!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.