New owner, yet another "Service 4WD" N23/P73 Question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

3Likes
  • 1 Post By CumminsKingRanch
  • 1 Post By Big Blue
  • 1 Post By CumminsKingRanch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Points: 740, Level: 14 Points: 740, Level: 14 Points: 740, Level: 14
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
New owner, yet another "Service 4WD" N23/P73 Question

Hello all,

I recently purchased an 08 Overland for my DD so my truck can be my toy (Cummins swapped Super Duty). All has been well until the other day, the dreaded "Service 4WD System" message popped up on my way to work. I tried the fuse trick, no dice. Then today it went away on my way home, so I tried 4low when I got home and bam, it came back. So heres where I am at:

Searched the Jeep recall database, it says both the N23 and P73 was done. I have no found anyone with probems AFTER the P73 was performed, has there still been issues?

Carfax shows that a new Tcase was installed a few months back, at a Jeep dealer. Also appears that both drive shafts are new, because they look brand new, as does the Tcase. Not sure if it is a reman or not.

I do not get any other lights on the dash so I do not suspect a wheel speed sensor, as they usually throw ABS lights etc, or is that not always the case?

I was leaning towards a new front diff actuator since it is cheap.

However, it appears that the Tcase shift motor is not new, so it is most likely original.

I have not brought it to the local dealer yet, I am not ready to pay $150 or whatever for a diagnostic when they will probably not blame it on the N23 as it was updated to the P73 flash.

So where I am at, I was thinking, change front diff actuator, see of that fixes it. If not, swap out Tcase shift motor. Or am I just throwing parts at it at that point?

This was a one owner vehicle, almost exclusively dealer serviced according to its records.

I do know, I did the "key dance" last night, and when I turned it on, it went into 4LOW despite saying Service 4WD System, which I thought was odd. I had it in 4LOW a few weeks back and used hill descent, so it wasnt lurking till I tried 4LOW, as this all startesd just driving down the highway.

Also, does the ELSD still work with the 4WD message?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsKingRanch View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased an 08 Overland for my DD so my truck can be my toy (Cummins swapped Super Duty). All has been well until the other day, the dreaded "Service 4WD System" message popped up on my way to work. I tried the fuse trick, no dice. Then today it went away on my way home, so I tried 4low when I got home and bam, it came back. So heres where I am at:

Searched the Jeep recall database, it says both the N23 and P73 was done. I have no found anyone with probems AFTER the P73 was performed, has there still been issues?

Carfax shows that a new Tcase was installed a few months back, at a Jeep dealer. Also appears that both drive shafts are new, because they look brand new, as does the Tcase. Not sure if it is a reman or not.

I do not get any other lights on the dash so I do not suspect a wheel speed sensor, as they usually throw ABS lights etc, or is that not always the case?

However, it appears that the Tcase shift motor is not new, so it is most likely original.

I have not brought it to the local dealer yet, I am not ready to pay $150 or whatever for a diagnostic when they will probably not blame it on the N23 as it was updated to the P73 flash.

So where I am at, I was thinking, change front diff actuator, see of that fixes it. If not, swap out Tcase shift motor. Or am I just throwing parts at it at that point?

This was a one owner vehicle, almost exclusively dealer serviced according to its records.

I do know, I did the "key dance" last night, and when I turned it on, it went into 4LOW despite saying Service 4WD System, which I thought was odd. I had it in 4LOW a few weeks back and used hill descent, so it wasnt lurking till I tried 4LOW, as this all startesd just driving down the highway.

@CumminsKingRanch ;

First off, allow me to formally welcome you to the forum - albeit somewhat late, sorry about that.

I was not yet appointed a forum moderator at the time when you joined the forum.

I don't know if you ever got this resolved or not because you never posted again - but I do see you cruising the forum on occasion, so, I figured you deserved some type of response - even if it's a late one.

There are a few members here that have said they needed to have the P73 flash applied three times consecutively for it to take on their FDCM.

That was not my experience - but there are a few reputable members here that have confirmed it needed to be done that way on their particular Commanders.

If that doesn't solve the issue, the next likely cause would be having the actuator motor on the transfer case replaced.

I can't answer your question about the ELSD other than to say that I would not try to drop down into 4-LOW while the "Service 4WD System" message is being displayed as you could potentially cause damage to your transfer case - or other related components.

I'm also attaching a copy of the P73 customer satisfaction notice if you would like to read it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 16 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-01-2017 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Points: 1,797, Level: 24 Points: 1,797, Level: 24 Points: 1,797, Level: 24
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Quote:
Hello all,

Ive been reading up on this and for some reason alot of the most common electrical issues with the commander seem to stem from the connections on the starter, they are exposed and seem to oxidize and toast easily, Ive recently discovered mine were completly shot and am in the process of having them serviced.....Im no expert but i would suggest having those serviced and improved with some new connectors either on your own or with a trusted mechanic even as a preventative measure and see if that helps before you start to throw parts at it......

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thread had to get moved here since I do not have enough posts to reply otherwise....

Ended up taking it to the dealer to do a diagnosis for me. Code came back as worn transfer case clutches. I let them know that the previous owners had a new t case put in under warranty at a Jeep dealer not even 20k ago, so it seems odd that its bad already. They actually were going to replace it under warranty after talking to the dealer that replaced it. I asked them if they can push the P73 flash thru again to see if it fixes it as I have read it does, they kind of got offended by that kind of thinking I was doubting their diagnosis....

weekend passes by and the Tech did some research (maybe read the forums?), and ended up pushing the flash thru, and so far I have no codes and 4LO works great. They want me to drive it a couple weeks to see if it the code does not come back.
Jerry'sXK likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thread had to get moved here since I do not have enough posts to reply otherwise....

Ended up taking it to the dealer to do a diagnosis for me. Code came back as worn transfer case clutches. I let them know that the previous owners had a new t case put in under warranty at a Jeep dealer not even 20k ago, so it seems odd that its bad already. They actually were going to replace it under warranty after talking to the dealer that replaced it. I asked them if they can push the P73 flash thru again to see if it fixes it as I have read it does, they kind of got offended by that kind of thinking I was doubting their diagnosis....

weekend passes by and the Tech did some research (maybe read the forums?), and ended up pushing the flash thru, and so far I have no codes and 4LO works great.
They want me to drive it a couple weeks to see if it the code does not come back.
That's great.

God forbid that the customer might actually know what they're talking about.

Congrats Eric, keep us posted.
Jerry'sXK likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-04-2017 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 AM
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 111000
Good stuff hope it does the trick.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Now that that was sorted out, did some work:

Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, front set to "not recommended" highest setting. 1.5" rear spacer. Moog UCAs and tie rod ends, new CV shafts, new pads and rotors, 1.5 wheel spacers, Hankook ATM 265/70r17. Happy with the look, although the tread is narrower than the stock Forteras for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_174941_1505612133106.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	484.9 KB
ID:	27226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_174611_1505612235232.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	27234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_174622_1505612307632.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	27242  
jeep5253 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Now that that was sorted out, did some work:

Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, front set to "not recommended" highest setting. 1.5" rear spacer. Moog UCAs and tie rod ends, new CV shafts, new pads and rotors, 1.5 wheel spacers, Hankook ATM 265/70r17. Happy with the look, although the tread is narrower than the stock Forteras for some reason.
Yea, she has a real nice stance now.

Very nice work CumminsKingRanch and thanks for posting the pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in