New from Texas; seeking knowledge! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New from Texas; seeking knowledge!

Good afternoon,

I am joining from outside of San Antonio, Texas. We bought our 2006 Jeep Commander 4x4 Limited Edition 5.7L Hemi in April of last year. Have been having some recent issues, thankfully with the Mopar extended warranty, and I am joining to hopefully make my searches and information seeking easier! Absolutely have loved mine since the day I bought her, but lately there are many regrets creeping up! Hoping to also turn that around here! I have (unsuccessfully; sorry) uploaded a picture that for whatever reason is sideways, nevermind the 10 attempts I have made to correct that. I look forward to learning from you all.

Marissa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	22337  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:27 AM
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Nice rig what issues are you having

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

I posted an entire (super long) post about it last night. I have been having the "transmission over temp" message since July and after a new solenoid pack (I believe it's called-seems to have been referred to multiple names by different mechs in GA and TX), PCM, and torque converter we are still getting the message. We've got insurance, and Star is making the calls at this point, but it's definitely becoming a pain to deal with when I've got 3 kids to lug to and from different schools at different times during the day along with an 8 month old. I have researched and researched for months trying to figure it out; even saw one person post on one forum that the new PCM fixed their issue. But nothing that really sticks out that I can suggest or discuss with the service advisor.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Points: 2,312, Level: 29 Points: 2,312, Level: 29 Points: 2,312, Level: 29
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133265
Do you ever get that issue about not wanting to start? Could it be related to starter wire issue?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

It has given me some trouble earlier in the year, but there were only a couple of instances of not starting and just a matter of turning the key back and starting it again. That sounds like a valid guess, but I wouldn't know for sure. I've never taken it for any starting issues because they're so random I know that would get me nowhere at the dealership with no code.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95 Points: 24,626, Level: 95
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mware85 View Post
Good afternoon,

I am joining from outside of San Antonio, Texas. We bought our 2006 Jeep Commander 4x4 Limited Edition 5.7L Hemi in April of last year. Have been having some recent issues, thankfully with the Mopar extended warranty, and I am joining to hopefully make my searches and information seeking easier! Absolutely have loved mine since the day I bought her, but lately there are many regrets creeping up! Hoping to also turn that around here! I have (unsuccessfully; sorry) uploaded a picture that for whatever reason is sideways, nevermind the 10 attempts I have made to correct that. I look forward to learning from you all.

Marissa
Hey Marissa, your Commander looks good.

It's frustrating when you are the 2nd and sometimes the 3rd owner of a vehicle.

More often then not, you are inheriting someone else's unresolved problems.

As the saying goes, people don't trade in or sell vehicles when they are running great.

I had a number of issues with my 2008 Commander when I picked it up about 2 1/2 years ago.

A lot of it was just due to maintenance neglect and just a general lack of awareness by the previous owner - here are some issues I dealt with and what I had to get replaced when I bought my Commander - after actually finding out what was not working - or working intermittently, that I would classify as falling outside of normal maintenance:

1) Had to replace my radiator cap and battery within the first 6 weeks of ownership. The battery just completely died on me, without any warning or prior issues (while out in the woods no less). This may be classified as routine maintenance, but, it's certainly not something I would have expected to do within the first 6 weeks of buying a new "used" vehicle.

2) The radiator cap wasn't sealing properly and would leak coolant when hot, I discovered this problem after about 3 weeks of ownership and finding very small puddles of coolant on the ground after being parked a couple of hours after driving. The coolant was almost clear, so, it took me a few days to figure out, that it was actually coolant I was looking at. I guess I still had in the recesses of my mind, that anti-freeze/coolant is green, LOL. What can I say, I'm old school.

3) After about 2 months of ownership, I had to replace the actuator motor on the Transfer case after getting the dreaded "service 4WD System" warning while trying to shift into 4-LOW which I was unable to do. That was about a $780 repair, when you add in the initial diagnostic trouble-shooting charge of $120.00. I found out after the fact, that my vehicle did not have the P73 recall (reprogramming the FDCM) done yet, which, as it turns out, was the fix for this issue. I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Chrysler and was paid in full within 2 weeks - there is a thread about this on this forum (I believe it is titled P73 recall) where I explained how to submit the claim for reimbursement to Chysler.

4) The radio display for the back-up camera video, would not display usable video from the back-up camera while backing up. This was an intermittent problem, when I first bought the Commander it worked fine, but within a couple of days, my radio display would no longer show usable back-up camera video, it would display it extremely dimly, so dim that the radio display almost looked completely black, as if it wasn't working at all. The radio display itself, for radio related functions, worked just fine. As time wore on, sometimes the display would display back-up camera video - and sometimes it would not - most of the time, it would not - and when it did decide to work properly where I could actually see usable video from the back-up camera, it would only be for very short periods of time. First, I replaced the back-up camera. This was the cheaper repair of the two repair options I had (replacing the radio was the other), and of course, it didn't solve the issue. Eventually I had to replace the entire radio - that solved the problem. A rebuilt/reconditioned radio from the dealership (which is all you can get now - they no longer sell them brand new) is still almost $1000.00 by itself - $900 and change as I recall.

5) Satellite radio did not work. Initially, I thought this was just because I didn't have an active subsciption that was paid for. However, after I called SiriusXM, gave them my radio information and enrolled and paid for service, I found out that the Satellite radio, in fact, was not working. I was still unable to acquire a satellite signal after numerous attempts. The Jeep dealership found after troubleshooting, that the cable running from the satellite radio, to the satellite radio antenna - which is routed up through the headliner to the satellite antenna on the roof - had a break in it. The Jeep dealership said that they found no evidence that anyone had ever removed, or tampered with the headliner before. So, explain to me how the hell that happened? I had to replace the satellite radio cable & satellite radio antenna, because you can not buy one component without the other. This was another $1000.00 repair job plus another $120.00 for the initial troubleshooting. Most of that was labor. The parts themselves, were fairly cheap.

6) Back-up sensor kept shorting in & out (symptoms previously described) and I wound up having to replace the back-up sensor. This is the one problem that I know happened after I bought the vehicle. I didn't experience any problems at all with the park assist/back-up sensor until I had it for about 6 months.

Once I had all these issues fixed to where everything was working properly, then I was finally able to focus on maintenance, and then eventually upgrades.

Now the bigger question is, was my experience typical?

I really can't answer that question definitively, but some issues - like the not being able to shift into 4-LOW, is a well-documented problem that I would say is common with Commanders.

Again, I think my experience is probably a typical example of what happens to an otherwise nice vehicle, when routine maintenance is neglected and/or the previous owner chooses to ignore things that don't work properly, as opposed to getting them fixed when the issue occurs.

Or, when your Commander had a previous owner who just was not very observant.

Unfortunately you just have to iron the issues out as they reveal themselves - and it can be costly - but, if you plan on keeping the vehicle, it's probably worth it.

If you and your husband can stay the course, I think you'll find it's a worthwhile investment in the long run - but it won't be without it's headaches as you are already finding out.
luckyse7ens likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-26-2016 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Interesting! Very interesting!! I did a "little" research prior to purchasing it, but I was really stuck with the dealership because they were giving me $2500 for my Murano with a basically fully clogged catalytic converter. I couldn't even drive that thing into San Antonio if my life depended on it without it shutting off once it got hot, which was like half mile down the road. Nonetheless, this was one of 2 vehicles I could get into for under $14,000 keeping my payments just over $200/month. I knew buying something with 95k miles was a gamble, but at least we opted for trading the Murano for the second level of warranty, which better than the first has replaced quite a bit. Although, within a week of buying her the dreaded check engine light (hence another reason I couldn't wait to replace my Murano) and wouldn't ya know? The part (beyond my level of terminology to plug into my memory bank) was not covered. There went $600, a week after I bought it. Went to pick it up from the dealership, and low and behold my battery was dead! Huh? Really? So my husband, being the handy man he is, says "oh, we'll take it home and charge it and that should work" as the man behind the counter felt "it just needs charging." Ha, forget it. Another $200 that night for a new battery. BUT, after that nothing major peaked out until the blower motor went out in late June. So overall, I have to say I am happy with it. What I am mostly unhappy with, is this Jeep dealership's inability to really get on the customer's level of understanding and compassion. A second PCM is on the way and they'll put that in later this week. I have no confidence in this, as I really feel the chances of the one they put in a few weeks ago being a dud isn't likely, but I will let them do their thing. I had a dream last night that they just bought it back. Ha!! Must be getting bad if I'm dreaming about it. But I appreciate your insight. All vehicles have problems, and I am sympathetic to the idea of "buying someone else's problem" versus a "new to me" car and not having issues. It's inevitable. With only 116,000 miles I feel she has a lot of life left in her. Would just be nice if I could take it in with issues and they fix them under warranty without it taking three months!

Last edited by mware85; 10-26-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: rewording
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
As far as the potentially bad PCM goes Marissa, you have to bare in mind that Commanders have already been out of production for 6 going on 7 years now.

While FCA (Fiat/Chrysler Automotive) do have alot of new replacement parts stock-piled, there are some replacement parts that are actually re-conditioned or rebuilt, as opposed to being brand new out of the box. Some parts - like rear differentials, I don't even think you can get from the dealership anymore. There are a couple of guys here that have had to replace their rear differentials and they had to buy them off of E-Bay or go to a shop that specializes in rear end and differential work and buy one they had on hand or have the shop actually rebuild the original differential for them.

My point is, even though the dealership is telling you the replacement part is new, it could very well be a rebuilt/reconditioned part, which increases the possibility of receiving a faulty replacement part.

There is no way to prove that this was the case with your PCM, but, it's a realistic possibility.

The other potential issue could simply be that the dealership has mis-diagnosed what is actually causing your problem.

You will probably get your answer soon enough when they install the new PCM.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-26-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
I will try looking for your original post that you wrote so I can get a better idea of everything you are experiencing.

I had an over temp light previously and it came down to the sensor going bad, well the actual wire that was connected to it at the sensor itself.
You have the warranty, so the dealership should be the first hit, but a good transmission shop may actually be the proper place to go. The Trans shop I eventually went to, read the transmission controller directly and could see what what actually going on with the transmission. Normal code readers cannot do this level of diagnostic.

Other physical issues that can cause a high level of stress on the transmission may not even be with the transmission. I find it best when purchasing a used vehicle is to get all the fluids changed, not just the obvious ones! The transfer case fluid is hardly ever changed by dealerships, nor are the fluids in the front and rear differentials. These three items can really drag on your drive system causing undue stress for the transmission.
These are also really easy to change yourself, minus the front differential (doable, but annoying)

Standard price for the transfer case at most big name transmission shops (Cottman, ect...) is $75 from what I have experienced.
Front and rear differential service is around $150 for both at once.

You can find cheaper, just a matter of talking to the folks and being informed, like you already are, on what you want done.

Most will run the diagnostic for free also when you get a service fluid change.

Dave
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Once again, Dave makes some really good points about maintenance to get done when buying a used vehicle. Once I fixed all the issues that my Commander had in the first year I owned it, I had all the maintenance done.

Front & rear diffs gear oil changed, transfer case gear oil changed, transmission fluid flushed and changed including replacing the transmission pan filter, fuel system flush/treatment, & coolant system flush; I even had them drain and replace the power steering fluid. I also replaced the front upper differential bushing. At 83,000 miles (about 2 1/2 months ago) I had all 16 of my spark plugs changed with factory OEM plugs.

Yes, it's quite a laundry list but you can never assume the previous owner stayed on top of their maintenance shedule. Fact of the matter is, the majority of owners don't.

Now that I have had all this done, I know I don't have to worry about maintenance for a while other then my normal oil changes and tire rotation.
luckyse7ens likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-04-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in