We've added a Commander to the stable - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mk153smaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,000
We've added a Commander to the stable

Just picked up an '06 Commander Limited with the Hemi - just over 105,000 miles and not a blemish on the paint.

We also have a heavily modded '03 Liberty Renegade and a '16 Renegade in the family and I'm really looking forward to learning more about the Commander. I've had my eye on them for quite a while and finally found one equipped the way I wanted it.

The dealer put on four new tires, upper ball joints, new brakes all around - ready for winter. I'll be changing the front and rear diff fluids, transfer case and flushing the tranny and changing filters, coolant system flush and other maintenance items that are due based on mileage if they haven't been done yet.

Any suggestions on things to look at or look out for?

Looking forward to learning and participating with you all.

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:29 AM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

4WD
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
Is it the 4X4? I would hit the front shaft for play in the CV flange. Mostly since you hit all the stuff you need to do with fluids and stuff.

Other than that the only gremlin I find is the vacuum tube kit for the top of the motor. there is a section that the battery wire sometimes touches and it will wear it down enough for a pinhole leak sometimes.

I changed the front and rear hubs at 117K for general purpose, I was doing a complete do over on the lift and felt I was there anyways.

If you want to be picky, I pulled my injectors and had them cleaned and impedance matched back to factory specs. Those will get messy after a while and also the impedance value actually changes with age/wear. That only cost me $75 and it did make a difference with MPG. Not a glorious difference, but a difference.

After 100K shocks and struts could use a refresh.

Other than that I found a good rust check with PB Blaster and re-torqueing everything was a good check.

Dave
TwoBobsXK likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22 Points: 1,524, Level: 22
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

4WD
Current Mileage: 133,000
Thanks Dave - yes it's a 4X4 with the QDII.

I'll check that CV flange - I'm used to changing/checking front shaft CV's on my Liberty so I'll add that to my checklist. And with the injectors... I swapped mine out on my Liberty (with the 3.7) and am not familiar with having the impedance checked. Is that a job for a speciality shop or can a well-equipped mechanic do that for me?

On the 3.7 the valve seats had a tendency to drop on the #1 cylinder if the engine overheated but the problem was supposedly fixed on engines made after 2005. Does the Hemi have a similar issue? Will my '06 be the 'improved' version from Chrysler or should I keep my ears tuned for any issues?

Appreciate your welcome - I don't think I'll be able to keep the stock suspension very long. The "lift itch" has already started so I'll be looking at an OME spring lift I'm sure. Which of course means tires and maybe new wheels and, and, and...

Bob

2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Tow Package, SuperChips tuner, Full Skids, RER MyGIG Upgrade. OME HD Springs w/ Bilstein 4600 shocks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66 Points: 10,034, Level: 66
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

4WD
Current Mileage: 120000
Garage
Good deal on the 4X4, you pretty much have the same as I do then.

You can see what I have done and get a feel for the options then.

The impedance is usually a specialty shop, but there are well equipped speed shops that have the injector box for tuning them.

I sent mine off to AUS Injection in Phoenix Arizona, those guys basically tear it down and do anything you want with them... Anything. Repaint? different nozzle pattern, more fuel, you name it... it only costs money, which is usually cheaper than brand new ultra super duper stuff.
The basic rebuild and redo is around $75 if you send them a set, otherwise they are around $125 for a set from them originally. Took about 48Hrs when I was there.

I have heard of the 06 and 07 years having an issue with heads, but I have never run into it in real life... yet. I do plan on switching out the heads with the stage II mopar kit. Although I may still end up just rebuilding the heads to save money and compatibility issues.
I have been fairly automatic with motors over 100K miles, I almost always pull the heads and get the valves redone. Which of course leads to a quick paint on the heads and better breathing by the way of port and polish. To get that done is usually fairly cheap if you pull your own heads, I recommend same year motor from the junk yard then you are not in a corner with your rig.

I used adjustable lower control arms from a JK on the rear arms. I was happily surprised they fit perfectly! Super easy to find on eBay for less than $100. All you have to do is drill out the frame mount for a larger diameter bolt shank and add a couple of shims left and right of the Johnny Joints.

I recommend getting crappy wheels that structurally look how you want then send off to a shop to get resurfaced. Unbelievably cheaper!!!!! I have flashy chrome rims right now, but I am going to have the chrome stripped off and powder coat the wheels along the paint scheme of the rig instead. I will also have anodized sections for flash. This method is so much more different than trying to find something in the store that will cost you perhaps a couple of grand.
When I get home this spring I will do a write up and how to guide for retouching wheels... Hydropainting is awesome!!!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in