Old to Jeep new to Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Old to Jeep new to Commander

Hello everyone, we have been a jeep family for a long time. We love our 2000 cherokee but with 3 growing kids we went and got a 2008 4.7
qudra drive 2 Commander limited and we love it. Here is my issue it needed the top front diff bushing replaced. You know the one everybody else has replaced. So I did the work at my job and one of our mechanics gave me a hand. Since we were doing one I did all 3. The diff cover was leaking so we took care of that as well. All I could find around here was the mobile 1 with the additive already in it says. I did order and had the mopar fm also the mechanic said we should go ahead and put it in also which I did agree with may have been incorrect. But for done and everything seems fixed and great no more clunk when shifting. Skip forward 2 days to last night it was raining and as I pulled into a parking spot I heard a sound like tire rub but I checked and no rub. This continued the rest of the night left and right turns more so on the right turns. From about half turn to full ****. All help is greatly appreciated. Could to much FM the additive already in Mobil 1 plus the mopar FM be causing to much slip and being exaggerated by the wet pavement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,536, Level: 92 Points: 21,536, Level: 92 Points: 21,536, Level: 92
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chy3280 View Post
Hello everyone, we have been a jeep family for a long time. We love our 2000 cherokee but with 3 growing kids we went and got a 2008 4.7
qudra drive 2 Commander limited and we love it. Here is my issue it needed the top front diff bushing replaced. You know the one everybody else has replaced. So I did the work at my job and one of our mechanics gave me a hand. Since we were doing one I did all 3. The diff cover was leaking so we took care of that as well. All I could find around here was the mobile 1 with the additive already in it says. I did order and had the mopar fm also the mechanic said we should go ahead and put it in also which I did agree with may have been incorrect. But for done and everything seems fixed and great no more clunk when shifting. Skip forward 2 days to last night it was raining and as I pulled into a parking spot I heard a sound like tire rub but I checked and no rub. This continued the rest of the night left and right turns more so on the right turns. From about half turn to full ****. All help is greatly appreciated. Could to much FM the additive already in Mobil 1 plus the mopar FM be causing to much slip and being exaggerated by the wet pavement?
Welcome to the forum Chy3280;

I'm no mechanic - not even close.

I can tell you in general, that Commanders are pretty finicky about the types of fluids you put in them.

More often than not - if you use anything other than fluids that meet what the factory specs call for, in any component, you could potentially end up having issues.

Your message is a little confusing, but if I'm reading it right, you are saying you put Mobil 1 in your differetial when you fixed the leak and topped it off?

I can't say for sure that's what's causing your problem but whatever differential you put that Mobil 1 in I would drain it and then in put in the factory recommended differential gear oil - or have it done at the dealership, whichever you prefer.

If nothing else, at least you will be eliminating that Mobil 1 with the additive you put in your differential, as a potential cause of your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-26-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

That will be my first step once it stops raining again. I am also wondering about the brakes. I had my wife do donuts yesterday while I walked alongside and could see the brakes pulsing when it would make the noise. I did have to replace the rotors when I got it they were cut in bad. Wondering if there is some connection there?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I have used fluids with the additive and added the friction inhibitor with no problems, it usually works the other way that the clutches make noise when the inhibitor is not added. I have never used Mobile 1 however. Try holding down the esp button in neutral until you hear the ding indicating your ESP is completely off and see if it makes the same noise.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I did that last night. Tried both ways disabled and the the 5 sec hold full off and it still made the same noise.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
You sure it is the brakes and not a CV joint clicking?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

Welcome to the community!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Points: 3,522, Level: 37 Points: 3,522, Level: 37 Points: 3,522, Level: 37
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 135000
With QD II you need the FM even though the various fluids might say "limited slip". If you put the 4 OZ in each diff you will be OK. 1 Bottle per diff.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,536, Level: 92 Points: 21,536, Level: 92 Points: 21,536, Level: 92
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzJeep View Post
Welcome to the community!
@2jzJeep ;

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I'm glad you want to be an active member - but please, do me a favor.

Don't make it to 20 posts by welcoming 19 new members to the forum - THAT HAVE ALL BEEN HERE LONGER THAN YOU.

That's really pretty silly and it doesn't contribute anything to the forum but clutter.

Thanks.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-11-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in