New guy here from Maryland - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New guy here from Maryland

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum however not new to the Jeep brand. I love Jeeps. I purchased three Jeeps in the past five years. I bought a older 2002 liberty five years ago with 28K original miles, used it as an extra family car and then gave it to my daughter. Factory ordered a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 10 Anniversary and had that for 18 months before selling it, loved it however I love cars so always changing things around, plus too new and expensive for me to go have fun without stressing I am going to damage something. Last year I purchased a 2004 grand Cherokee as an extra car to drive on construction sites where I work and now my other daughter has that one. So two weeks ago, I searched and found a 2008 Jeep Commander Overland 5.7L Hemi with 50K original miles. Had my mechanic look it over before my purchase and it is a little rusty underneath, probably due to the little miles it was driven the last nine years but my mechanic who is a Jeep guy and owned many Commanders in the past said little rust don't hold back so I made the deal. My Commander went right from the dealer where I purchased it to my mechanic and has been in it's reconstruction phase for the past couple weeks. The reconstruction phase includes, replace rear brakes, replace front right axel seal, replace right side manifold gasket, drain and fill front diff, rear diff and transfer case, replace spark plugs and do a induction service, undercoat the jeep to include sanding, etc. ordered some wheels and new bigger tires plus a 2" Rough Country lift, looking a Bilstein 4600 kit new front struts and rear shocks and also clean out sunroof drain. This will be phase 1 then looking to add roof rack, replace exhaust with the manga flow cat back and then rear spare tire mount, maybe replace bumpers at this time. The attached picture was after the vehicle was driven from the dealer to my mechanic. I have been on many forums in my time so I know I will learn a lot here. Hope everyone has fun with their Commander. Take care, Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	26721  

Last edited by flmtrain; 08-15-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,459, Level: 92 Points: 21,459, Level: 92 Points: 21,459, Level: 92
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmtrain View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum however not new to the Jeep brand. I love Jeeps. I purchased three Jeeps in the past five years. I bought a older 2002 liberty five years ago with 28K original miles, used it as an extra family car and then gave it to my daughter. Factory ordered a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 10 Anniversary and had that for 18 months before selling it, loved it however I love cars so always changing things around, plus too new and expensive for me to go have fun without stressing I am going to damage something. Last year I purchased a 2004 grand Cherokee as an extra car to drive on construction sites where I work and now my other daughter has that one. So two weeks ago, I searched and found a 2008 Jeep Commander Overland 5.7L Hemi with 50K original miles. Had my mechanic look it over before my purchase and it is a little rusty underneath, probably due to the little miles it was driven the last nine years but my mechanic who is a Jeep guy and owned many Commanders in the past said little rust don't hold back so I made the deal. My Commander went right from the dealer where I purchased it to my mechanic and has been in it's reconstruction phase for the past couple weeks. The reconstruction phase includes, replace rear brakes, replace front right axel seal, replace right side manifold gasket, drain and fill front diff, rear diff and transfer case, replace spark plugs and do a induction service, undercoat the jeep to include sanding, etc. ordered some wheels and new bigger tires plus a 2" Rough Country lift, looking a Bilstein 4600 kit new front struts and rear shocks and also clean out sunroof drain. This will be phase 1 then looking to add roof rack, replace exhaust with the manga flow cat back and then rear spare tire mount, maybe replace bumpers at this time. The attached picture was after the vehicle was driven from the dealer to my mechanic. I have been on many forums in my time so I know I will learn a lot here. Hope everyone has fun with their Commander. Take care, Frank
Welcome to the forum Frank;

A 2008 Overland with only 50,000 miles sounds like a great find to me.

Here are some links to help you out with your aftermarket shopping;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

Crawl Off-Road - https://crawloffroad.com/cart.php?ta...&category_id=3

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-16-2017 at 03:11 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Blue for all the info. Two quick questions, looking to purchase Bilstein struts and shocks. Found a kit that includes series 4600 struts and shocks that were tested for the Commander however where I am looking to purchase they said OEM replacement not to use with a lift. I just ordered 2" Rough Country suspension lift. I read here about people using the 4600 on the front for the strut but said use a 5100 for the rear since it's a little longer but the 5100 have not been tested for a commander so do I purchase the 5100 for a grand Cherokee? Second question, I ordered 265/65R18 tires. I have 18x7.5 wheels and the tires on there now are 245/60R18, looking to go to 31.5" tire, I think the tire on there now is 29.5 so I want to go bigger at least to the 31.5, but worried about the going from 60 to 65, isn't that the width of the tire. Tire place told my I can still use my wheels on a 65R18. Thanks for your help. Frank

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Blue for all the info. Two quick questions, looking to purchase Bilstein struts and shocks. Found a kit that includes series 4600 struts and shocks that were tested for the Commander however where I am looking to purchase they said OEM replacement not to use with a lift. I just ordered 2" Rough Country suspension lift. I read here about people using the 4600 on the front for the strut but said use a 5100 for the rear since it's a little longer but the 5100 have not been tested for a commander so do I purchase the 5100 for a grand Cherokee? Second question, I ordered 265/65R18 tires. I have 18x7.5 wheels and the tires on there now are 245/60R18, looking to go to 31.5" tire, I think the tire on there now is 29.5 so I want to go bigger at least to the 31.5, but worried about the going from 60 to 65, isn't that the width of the tire. Tire place told my I can still use my wheels on a 65R18. Thanks for your help. Frank
Frank, I'm a little confused about the Grand Cherokee reference.

I have Bilstein B6 4600 shock absorbers on the front and Bilstein 5100's in the rear - the 5100's work just fine for Commanders - I assume they would work o.k. for Grand Cherokees as well.

I have 31.6 inch tires (P265/70R17's) on 17x8 inch rims with 5.5 inch back-spacing and the 2 inch RC lift and I have no clearance issues.

Was there something else specific you were asking that I missed?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I ordered a Bilstein 4600 kit that came with two struts and two shocks. The place I ordered them stated they were tested and sold to be installed on a Jeep Commander. However the place stated that they did not sell Bilstein 5100 rear shocks tested and linked to the Commander so I asked for the shocks 5100 for a grand Cherokee. I think I am good, I confirmed the Bilstein part number 33-225807 and it matched the one you posted in a past Bilstein post where to changed out your 4600 to a 5100. I bought the 4600 kit so I will have an spare pair if needed. I have a local mechanic shop doing all my work and with me shipping in parts, I want to have extra if needed to something don't fit or if I break something in the future. You ever think about a rear spare tire mount?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Points: 3,939, Level: 39 Points: 3,939, Level: 39 Points: 3,939, Level: 39
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

flmtrain .. "I ordered 265/65R18 tires. I have 18x7.5 wheels and the tires on there now are 245/60R18, looking to go to 31.5" tire, I think the tire on there now is 29.5 so I want to go bigger at least to the 31.5, but worried about the going from 60 to 65, isn't that the width of the tire."

The "65" number in 265/65R18 is not the width. The 265 number is the width in mm. So your 265/65R18 is 20 mm wider than the stock.

The second number in your new tire, "65", is the percentage of the width that is part of the equation determining the total height of the tire. In your 265/65R18 number that would be 6.781496. You double that and add it to your rim diameter and you get 31.562992 inches.

Plug your numbers into this chart on this site to show a comparison in your stock tire and any newer size you may want ... https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

2008 Sport
255/75/17 BF Goodrich MT
Platinum Allure Bright PVD 17x8 35mm offset
JBA upper control arms
OME HD lift
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I ordered a Bilstein 4600 kit that came with two struts and two shocks. The place I ordered them stated they were tested and sold to be installed on a Jeep Commander. However the place stated that they did not sell Bilstein 5100 rear shocks tested and linked to the Commander so I asked for the shocks 5100 for a grand Cherokee. I think I am good, I confirmed the Bilstein part number 33-225807 and it matched the one you posted in a past Bilstein post where to changed out your 4600 to a 5100. I bought the 4600 kit so I will have an spare pair if needed. I have a local mechanic shop doing all my work and with me shipping in parts, I want to have extra if needed to something don't fit or if I break something in the future. You ever think about a rear spare tire mount?
I've thought about it a few times Frank;

I'm kicking around some kind of hitch mount spare tire carrier - but I don't know if I'll ever pull the trigger because I run into the same problem with them that I run into with custom rear bumpers.

The issue I keep running into is that every rear bumper with a spare tire carrier incorporated into it always seems to be blocking the back-up camera - and that's a function that I am just not willing to lose. Hitch mounted spare tire carriers present the same problem - at least the ones that I have looked at.

I'll carry my spare tire in my trailer - or in my roof basket before I give up my back-up camera functionality - and honestly, that's the direction I'm leaning in right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in