Owned Commander for 2weeks now trans issue and no $ - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 128K
Garage
Unhappy Owned Commander for 2weeks now trans issue and no $

I loved my Black 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Limited like a new girlfriend for 2 weeks....then- P0700 and P0731, Shifts only if I use Electronic Shift. If I used D it slips out of first gear. I changed input and output speed sensors, took out and cleaned ESC electronic shift control, I disconnected the neutral on battery and touched the neg wire to the positive side and zipped tied together for 2 hours then reconnected battery. I cleared codes many times and drove car w electronic shifting only then after it gets into second gear it will work in D on back roads and highways unless I have to stop. If I forget to electronic shift to first and it pops out of 1st from D I need to shut off vehicle and start again then E shift through the gears to drive. TCM or Tranny or something else? I also have an open P73 recall that is getting fixed wed morning. I don't think that has anything to do with but may hopefully. Should I pay Jeep to do a diagnostic or the local Trans shop?

Last edited by Jerry'sXK; 09-24-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
2wd/4wd what trans? have you changed trans fluids and filters? and if you have QDII make sure you add the friction inhibitors. Also check out big blues posts to ensure you have all recalls and what ever else they they call them, I think campaigns??
Jerry'sXK likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry'sXK View Post
I loved my Black 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Limited like a new girlfriend for 2 weeks....then- P0700 and P0731, Shifts only if I use Electronic Shift. If I used D it slips out of first gear. I changed input and output speed sensors, took out and cleaned ESC electronic shift control, I disconnected the neutral on battery and touched the neg wire to the positive side and zipped tied together for 2 hours then reconnected battery. I cleared codes many times and drove car w electronic shifting only then after it gets into second gear it will work in D on back roads and highways unless I have to stop. If I forget to electronic shift to first and it pops out of 1st from D I need to shut off vehicle and start again then E shift through the gears to drive. TCM or Tranny or something else? I also have an open P73 recall that is getting fixed wed morning. I don't think that has anything to do with but may hopefully. Should I pay Jeep to do a diagnostic or the local Trans shop?
Jerry;

Please provide as much information about your XK as you can; 4WD system etc;

Also go to the website URL below and plug in your VIN to see if all the factory re-calls and campaigns have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this;

A safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern;

A campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Creek raises some good points as well;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek
have you changed trans fluids and filters? and if you have QDII - make sure you add the friction inhibitors.
Jerry'sXK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-24-2017 at 11:49 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
4x4, QD 2..... Thx Big Blue and Creek, Those r good points thx. Unfortunately $ is a big problem at moment, been disabled since 2008 and just started getting around now (Head n Neck injury) and thought some light 4 wheeling n possible hunting would lift the spirits and now this.... supposedly there is a warranty on the physical trans til December from a shady shop in Brooklyn that may or may not be transferable from previous owner that had a rebuild last December. The owner is trying to work with me but again not sure if warranties are transferable to new owner, doesn't specify. What friction reducer or modifier do I need to add to transmission? *** I recently added, after taking out some trans fluid so not to overfill, some Lucas Transfix to the transmission because it was down shifting hard from 2nd like I was getting hit from behind, did not add anything to the transfer case unless they are connected and I was unaware. I will check again but the only campaign or safety recall for my 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Limited Vin # 1J8HG58266C170784 was the most recent to flash the FDCM, I think P73. That is scheduled for Wed morning, not sure if I should pay Jeep or a Trans shop for diagnostic??? thx again, any ideas are appreciated. Does it sound like the p73 may fix or does it sound like a TCM or need new tranny in anyones' gut opinion? and idea of price of rebuild or price of TCM?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
4x4, QD 2..... Thx Big Blue and Creek, Those r good points thx. Unfortunately $ is a big problem at moment, been disabled since 2008 and just started getting around now (Head n Neck injury) and thought some light 4 wheeling n possible hunting would lift the spirits and now this.... supposedly there is a warranty on the physical trans til December from a shady shop in Brooklyn that may or may not be transferable from previous owner that had a rebuild last December. The owner is trying to work with me but again not sure if warranties are transferable to new owner, doesn't specify. What friction reducer or modifier do I need to add to transmission? *** I recently added, after taking out some trans fluid so not to overfill, some Lucas Transfix to the transmission because it was down shifting hard from 2nd like I was getting hit from behind, did not add anything to the transfer case unless they are connected and I was unaware. I will check again but the only campaign or safety recall for my 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Limited Vin # 1J8HG58266C170784 was the most recent to flash the FDCM, I think P73. That is scheduled for Wed morning, not sure if I should pay Jeep or a Trans shop for diagnostic??? thx again, any ideas are appreciated. Does it sound like the p73 may fix or does it sound like a TCM or need new tranny in anyones' gut opinion? and idea of price of rebuild or price of TCM?
Jerry;

The P73 campaign which reprograms the Final Drive Control Module only pertains to shifting into/out of 4-LOW.

The most common symptom is being unable to shift into 4-LOW and receiving the dreaded Service 4WD System Message in the dash cluster.

Your symptoms definitely sound transmission related and there are a few shifter related sensors in the transmission that could potentially be the culprit if faulty.

With a little luck, that transmission shop will honor their warranty and you'll be able to get this fixed without having to pay anything out of pocket.

Just out of curiosity do you know what the P0700 and P0731 DTC's indicate specifically?

If the transmission shop doesn't honor their warranty - you may consider spending the $120.00 to take her to Chrysler and have them run a full engine/transmission diagnostics test - at least then you will have a pretty good idea of what exactly the problem is.
Jerry'sXK likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Big Blue yes,

P0700 - Trans Control Sys Malfunction
P0731 - Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect

I changed input and output speed sensors and prayed but nothing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Big Blue yes,

P0700 - Trans Control Sys Malfunction
P0731 - Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect

I changed input and output speed sensors and prayed but nothing.
At this point Jerry, I'd probably wait and see if that transmission shop is going to honor their warranty or not - and then take it from there.

Like I said previously, if the transmission shop doesn't honor their warranty - you may consider spending the $120.00 to take her to Chrysler and have them run a full diagnostics test and get their diagnosis - instead of trying to guess what the problem is.

I understand that budget is an issue, but, I think this may be the best course of action if the transmission shop does not stand by their work.
Jerry'sXK likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-25-2017 at 10:41 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 PM
Points: 4,183, Level: 41 Points: 4,183, Level: 41 Points: 4,183, Level: 41
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
The good news is that the 545 RFE transmission you have in your commander is a solid transmission and known for its reliability. If I were you I would completely service the transmission with a new spin on internal filter and pick-up screen filter and seal. Have your system re-flashed also. The gear shift assemblies can also cause strange problems such as this as well as the transmission is electronically controlled and the shifter assembly internal connections can be troublesome as they are not a mechanical but electrical control. I have taken these apart and cleaned them with electrical cleaner contact with lubricant and have been successful in solving some issues with a friends vehicle. Hopefully it is something simple and not a real mechanical issue with the transmission.
Jerry'sXK likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Thx bdalameda, Just got quote from one trans place... they said metal shavings in pan and that I need a rebuild or junkyard special. I should of marked one of the bolts on the pan to see if they really dropped the pan and looked. Getting too old and too broke to learn the hard way. May get 2nd opinion tomorrow, I can't replace filters at this point only because I may have a small shot on a mechanic in Brooklyn honoring his 1 year warranty that is hand written and not signed that came with the car that I purchased from a friend 3 weeks or month ago.... thx if this mechanic gives me trouble I will look into the pan myself even check solenoid n change filters for sure. I did clean the TCM w contact spray also. All help in figuring is very helpful and well appreciated.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
bdalameda, come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
The good news is that the 545 RFE transmission you have in your commander is a solid transmission and known for its reliability. If I were you I would completely service the transmission with a new spin on internal filter and pick-up screen filter and seal. Have your system re-flashed also. The gear shift assemblies can also cause strange problems such as this as well as the transmission is electronically controlled and the shifter assembly internal connections can be troublesome as they are not a mechanical but electrical control. I have taken these apart and cleaned them with electrical cleaner contact with lubricant and have been successful in solving some issues with a friends vehicle. Hopefully it is something simple and not a real mechanical issue with the transmission.
Pls let me know if u got my pm and did that give u better info? not sure if I trust these shops around me in NJ after they put a cork gasket on my pan after looking at my trans. Should I do a valve body/ filters and fluid replace or gut on if I need a junkyard trans? thx

Last edited by Jerry'sXK; 10-02-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: forgot info that is needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in