New member Commander issues ***HELP!!!*** - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 93800
New member Commander issues ***HELP!!!***

Hello all...
Have been reading forums on here for the past few weeks and have gained a wealth of information from you all.

I just purchased an 06 Commander Limited Hemi 4WD with 93k mi and overall its in great shape. Bought the Jeep and did full tuneup. Fresh fluid in oil, trans, TC, both diffs, 16 new plugs, replaced drivers side broken exhaust manifold bolts, new front driveshaft, new drivers CV axle, new sway bar bushings and end links, decarb'd, new brakes (pads and rotors),freshly aligned, and a good clean up. Overall the engine runs spectacularly well and has plenty of life left in it. Trans shifts clean and smooth. Also just had all TSBs performed and 4low still works... lol

So heres where I need help... this thing is maybe 1in higher up front than in the back, and more importantly there is a fairly aggressive vibration only on moderate to heavy acceleration between 40 and 55mph... vibe feel like its coming from center of jeep. Shakes wholejust replaced front drive shaft with new one due to bad u-joints, and the vibration remains...

the jeep has 4 brand new matching wheels and tires installed maybe 5k miles ago, it has a 2in plate lift up front with new shocks, and I assume a 2in leveling kit in back. Has newer shocks on all four corners. My best guess for the vibration is one of 4 things:

1. Bad rear u joint(s) or imbalanced driveshaft. (Would have to replace driveshaft unless its serviceable... still need to check tomorrow)
2. Lift with elevated front end causing TC to change pinion angles in a very wierd way (would need to remove lift to rectify)any thoughts on TC lowering here?
3. Wheel may have thrown a weight? (Dont really suspect this because there is no vibe while cruing or decel at this speed)
4. Possible worn trans mount? (Will be checking tomorrow... engine mounts look great)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and look forward to hearing from anyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quick update...

Just checked trans mount. Looks good. Checked pinion angle for front and back... looks fine. Took off rear driveshaft and there are flat spots in the front and rear u joints when rotated. End caps of u joints are rusted and the rear kinda looks fubar... will be calling driveshaft shop asap for advise.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,097, Level: 94 Points: 24,097, Level: 94 Points: 24,097, Level: 94
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06hemiCommander View Post
Hello all...
Have been reading forums on here for the past few weeks and have gained a wealth of information from you all.

I just purchased an 06 Commander Limited Hemi 4WD with 93k mi and overall its in great shape. Bought the Jeep and did full tuneup. Fresh fluid in oil, trans, TC, both diffs, 16 new plugs, replaced drivers side broken exhaust manifold bolts, new front driveshaft, new drivers CV axle, new sway bar bushings and end links, decarb'd, new brakes (pads and rotors),freshly aligned, and a good clean up. Overall the engine runs spectacularly well and has plenty of life left in it. Trans shifts clean and smooth. Also just had all TSBs performed and 4low still works... lol

So heres where I need help... this thing is maybe 1in higher up front than in the back, and more importantly there is a fairly aggressive vibration only on moderate to heavy acceleration between 40 and 55mph... vibe feel like its coming from center of jeep. Shakes wholejust replaced front drive shaft with new one due to bad u-joints, and the vibration remains...

the jeep has 4 brand new matching wheels and tires installed maybe 5k miles ago, it has a 2in plate lift up front with new shocks, and I assume a 2in leveling kit in back. Has newer shocks on all four corners. My best guess for the vibration is one of 4 things:

1. Bad rear u joint(s) or imbalanced driveshaft. (Would have to replace driveshaft unless its serviceable... still need to check tomorrow)
2. Lift with elevated front end causing TC to change pinion angles in a very wierd way (would need to remove lift to rectify)any thoughts on TC lowering here?
3. Wheel may have thrown a weight? (Dont really suspect this because there is no vibe while cruing or decel at this speed)
4. Possible worn trans mount? (Will be checking tomorrow... engine mounts look great)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and look forward to hearing from anyone!
@06hemiCommander ;

Welcome to the forum;

I would read the below thread - it could possibly have something in common with your current issues.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...me-around.html

Also, something else you should do is go to the website below and plug in your VIN to see if all the factory re-calls & campaigns have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is that a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

If there are any factory recalls or campaigns that are outstanding, I'd get them taken care of at your earliest convenience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-25-2017 at 10:58 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks big blue. All recalls were just handled by the dealer... 3 were outstanding... Jeep actually had the 4WD service light when I bought it and the code came back as the front diff solenoid and I had that replaced.

Hit up my driveshaft guy and we both confirm that at 90k of the driveshaft being in the factory position, flat/wear spits in the ujoints are typical. Once the Jeep was lifted 2", it caused the pinion angle to change just enough under load to expose the flat spots and promting driveshaft replacement. In fact I already replaced the front driveshaft and half of my shudders are now gone. Just ordered new rear driveshaft and see where we go from there. Both the front and rear ujoints had no excessive play BUT did have chunking and very noticeable flat spots in the front and rear ujoints of both the front and rear ds.

As far as a shudder in the wheel, I was told I have internal noises/clicking coming from the rack and thanks to the forums on here I will be giving the yoke adjustment bolt a lil tightening and see where we're at...

I will be daily-ing this Jeep once everything is all sorted, but the vibes and even the slightest shimmy left unattended will cause severe wear to other components... IMO. Overall, this Jeep was a good buy and well taken care of, but the previous owner wasnt quite as mechanically inclined as I am and his last shop was ripping him off for every cent he had for things he didnt need... and it shows in some places... Like the shop telling him that the plugs in the hemi are 100k mi plugs... BEEP... WRONG!

This is my 4th hemi vehicle Ive owned and the best I ever had was an 06 Ram Big Horn that went 120k mi of me beating the hell out of it and it did great and is currently at 200k with its current owner and still driving.

One other little problem is that, due to the lift, when the suspension up frony is at full droop, and unloaded, the CV boot hits the LCA... anyone else seen this with a 2" spacer lift?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 128K
Garage
Quote:
Thanks big blue. All recalls were just handled by the dealer... 3 were outstanding... Jeep actually had the 4WD service light when I bought it and the code came back as the front diff solenoid and I had that replaced.

Hit up my driveshaft guy and we both confirm that at 90k of the driveshaft being in the factory position, flat/wear spits in the ujoints are typical. Once the Jeep was lifted 2", it caused the pinion angle to change just enough under load to expose the flat spots and promting driveshaft replacement. In fact I already replaced the front driveshaft and half of my shudders are now gone. Just ordered new rear driveshaft and see where we go from there. Both the front and rear ujoints had no excessive play BUT did have chunking and very noticeable flat spots in the front and rear ujoints of both the front and rear ds.

As far as a shudder in the wheel, I was told I have internal noises/clicking coming from the rack and thanks to the forums on here I will be giving the yoke adjustment bolt a lil tightening and see where we're at...

I will be daily-ing this Jeep once everything is all sorted, but the vibes and even the slightest shimmy left unattended will cause severe wear to other components... IMO. Overall, this Jeep was a good buy and well taken care of, but the previous owner wasnt quite as mechanically inclined as I am and his last shop was ripping him off for every cent he had for things he didnt need... and it shows in some places... Like the shop telling him that the plugs in the hemi are 100k mi plugs... BEEP... WRONG!

This is my 4th hemi vehicle Ive owned and the best I ever had was an 06 Ram Big Horn that went 120k mi of me beating the hell out of it and it did great and is currently at 200k with its current owner and still driving.

One other little problem is that, due to the lift, when the suspension up frony is at full droop, and unloaded, the CV boot hits the LCA... anyone else seen this with a 2" spacer lift?
Welcome to the forum, there are some really capable guys here that are more able to help u than me. I know I saw some XK's that had a Strap added to their suspension to limit the amount of down travel to stop exactly what u were talking about. Hopefully someone here knows the exact product or can point u in that direction, I know I saw a vid on Youtube of a guy that had a 6" lift that had a limiting strap he added. The video was titled something like how to lift 6" for cheap. Good luck and let me know if you can't find the vid and I will try to help.

Know just enough to screw up my rig good.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

4WD
Current Mileage: 112000
Quote:
Like the shop telling him that the plugs in the hemi are 100k mi plugs... BEEP... WRONG!
The spark plugs are considered part of the emission control system by Fed government and supposed to be good for 100K by law thus are covered by warrantee no matter what the warrantee is for the rest of the vehicle. Does not meant they will not go much longer - just that they must last at least 100K.
I see that you replaced all 16 plugs. Was that because of a problem? If so, they were covered by the emission control warrantee and should have been free. If not, why did you replace them? Did you notice any performance improvement?

06 Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, Light Khaki
89 Grand Wagoneer - everything works
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:

I have the 2 inch Rough Country lift and I don't have this problem - but I also have Bilstein B6 4600 front shock absorbers; JBA Upper Control Arms for lifted XKs; P265/70R17's TOYO Open Country All Terrains tires which are larger than stock obviously and Custom Centerline Aluminum Rims (17 x 8 with 5.5 inch back spacing) which are also slightly larger than stock, so, I don't know how much all of that might factor into it.

You also might want to read this - the last post in particular;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...tml#post486938

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-27-2017 at 04:12 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37 Points: 3,561, Level: 37
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

4WD
Current Mileage: 135000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The spark plugs are considered part of the emission control system by Fed government and supposed to be good for 100K by law thus are covered by warrantee no matter what the warrantee is for the rest of the vehicle. Does not meant they will not go much longer - just that they must last at least 100K.
I see that you replaced all 16 plugs. Was that because of a problem? If so, they were covered by the emission control warrantee and should have been free. If not, why did you replace them? Did you notice any performance improvement?
My '08 says plugs get changed at 30K intervals. Not sure where you got your info. about 100K? The factory plugs do not last 100K. You could go Iridium but I have had bad luck on the older Hemi's like yours and mine and my 2003 V10 (now sold).

Newer vehicles yes 100K is pretty much the norm nowadays.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickster2 View Post
My '08 says plugs get changed at 30K intervals. Not sure where you got your info. about 100K? The factory plugs do not last 100K. You could go Iridium but I have had bad luck on the older Hemi's like yours and mine and my 2003 V10 (now sold).

Newer vehicles yes 100K is pretty much the norm nowadays.
I don't doubt what you say quickster, but, I think the realistic truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I changed my plugs at 80K - and had one that was obviously fouled.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Thank you all for the welcome and responses.

As far as the plugs go, as I mentioned, this is my 4th Hemi, and speaking from experience, 30k does a lot to the factory copper plugs. The second this Jeeps plugs were replaced, it ran as smooth as silk. I will never use anything other than the factory copper. I used to be a seevice advisor for a great shop, and when we had people ask for the super triple iridium gold plated special plugs their buddy told them about, 100% of the time they would foul and cause misfire codes. They did need replaced though. I understand the Fed control on 100k mi plugs, but good luck finding a shop that will replace plugs for free on an 11 year old 93k mile Jeep with 16 plugs... lol

As far as a limiting strap goes, thats a great idea! Will def do a little more research. The boot of the cv axle only BARELY touches the LCA at full droop right now. Not enough that its a safety concern though. I couls see it being a problem if I were in 4hi, offroad, with one front wheel completed extended and the driveshaft turning fast enough to tear the boot on the LCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in