Blower Failure, Blinking Dash Indicator Lights - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
4WD
Posts: 2
Blower Failure, Blinking Dash Indicator Lights

2006 Commander, 3.7 L, 6cy. Base.
I can duplicate the following problem: HVAC set to heat, after car is warm, blower speed switch operates fine on 1, 2 speeds. Turn up speed to 3, 4, after 10 seconds, the blower stops, dash indicator lights start blinking, no speed or rpm measurements on panel. Car still runs. Turn off blower, blinking dash lights go off, everything looks normal. Checked fuses, ok. OBD shows no codes after each episode. Have duplicated the aforementioned on 4 occasions. Suspect tired blower motor, with over current condition on high speed settings, cutting power to blower and reeking havoc on the dash indicator lights. Don't suspect the blower speed switch as it operates. Don't suspect the blower resistor as the system does operates at all blower speeds. Any suggestions or ideas or experience with this problem? Any advice, guidance greatly appreciated!
Springskeen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springskeen View Post
2006 Commander, 3.7 L, 6cy. Base.
I can duplicate the following problem: HVAC set to heat, after car is warm, blower speed switch operates fine on 1, 2 speeds. Turn up speed to 3, 4, after 10 seconds, the blower stops, dash indicator lights start blinking, no speed or rpm measurements on panel. Car still runs. Turn off blower, blinking dash lights go off, everything looks normal. Checked fuses, ok. OBD shows no codes after each episode. Have duplicated the aforementioned on 4 occasions. Suspect tired blower motor, with over current condition on high speed settings, cutting power to blower and reeking havoc on the dash indicator lights. Don't suspect the blower speed switch as it operates. Don't suspect the blower resistor as the system does operates at all blower speeds. Any suggestions or ideas or experience with this problem? Any advice, guidance greatly appreciated!
@Springskeen ;

Welcome to the forum.

Please update your user profile by doing the following;

Click on your username and select the "View Public Profile" tab and click on "About Me" and you will see questions that need to be answered about your Commander, which will update your user profile information and display your Commander's information underneath your avatar, like you see on my profile.

Now that being said; 1st question;

How long have you owned your Commander?

I would suggest checking your battery - and making sure it is fully charged.

The symptoms you're experiencing could be the result of a weak battery.

If your battery is fully charged, try disconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected for 15 minutes.

Then reconnect the battery and see if you can still duplicate the problem.

If this doesn't find and/or resolve the problem, my next suggestion would be getting your alternator checked to confirm that it is properly charging the battery when the engine is running.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 11-13-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
4WD
Posts: 2
Battery is fine. Alternator charging properly. After significant research and reading, I replaced the blower resistor located behind the glove box. Relatively easy replacement. The old one looked very tired. The heater is working much better and since I replaced in the NAPA parking lot, I tried to duplicate the problem as before on the drive home. The problem did not return! And, the heater is blowing hot as can be. Had to turn it down and it was only the second speed! Taking it out today to see if problem returns again.
Springskeen is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springskeen View Post
Battery is fine. Alternator charging properly. After significant research and reading, I replaced the blower resistor located behind the glove box. Relatively easy replacement. The old one looked very tired. The heater is working much better and since I replaced in the NAPA parking lot, I tried to duplicate the problem as before on the drive home. The problem did not return! And, the heater is blowing hot as can be. Had to turn it down and it was only the second speed! Taking it out today to see if problem returns again.
That would have been my very first guess - but you said you didn't think that was the problem "as the system does operates at all blower speeds" so, I was trying to give you other possibilities to look at.

Glad you got it sorted out.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Junior Member
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Michigan
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 110,000
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springskeen View Post
2006 Commander, 3.7 L, 6cy. Base.
I can duplicate the following problem: HVAC set to heat, after car is warm, blower speed switch operates fine on 1, 2 speeds. Turn up speed to 3, 4, after 10 seconds, the blower stops, dash indicator lights start blinking, no speed or rpm measurements on panel. Car still runs. Turn off blower, blinking dash lights go off, everything looks normal. Checked fuses, ok. OBD shows no codes after each episode. Have duplicated the aforementioned on 4 occasions. Suspect tired blower motor, with over current condition on high speed settings, cutting power to blower and reeking havoc on the dash indicator lights. Don't suspect the blower speed switch as it operates. Don't suspect the blower resistor as the system does operates at all blower speeds. Any suggestions or ideas or experience with this problem? Any advice, guidance greatly appreciated!
I have had a problem with dash lights blinking, speed and rpm not registering, and blower motor quits running while this happens, you can hear the blower motor cycle on and off as the dash lights blinked. I have my multifunction switch set to automatic lights on. When I turn the light switch to off and manually turn my head lamps on when needed, problem solved. I replaced my Multifunction switch (about $85, and 10 minutes), problem solved and I can use the automatic lights.
southernpeach is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpeach View Post
I have had a problem with dash lights blinking, speed and rpm not registering, and blower motor quits running while this happens, you can hear the blower motor cycle on and off as the dash lights blinked. I have my multifunction switch set to automatic lights on. When I turn the light switch to off and manually turn my head lamps on when needed, problem solved. I replaced my Multifunction switch (about $85, and 10 minutes), problem solved and I can use the automatic lights.
@southernpeach ;

Check your private messages.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome