3.7L Throttle Position Sensor? CEL code P0300 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 141,000
CEL codes P0300 p0741. "Transmission Over Temp"

Hi all, I'm new here.

Just picked up an '07 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4 with 141,000. Bought the car in middle Tennessee for $4,700 from an auction/craigslist dealer. Drove it 40 miles before the check engine light came on, started idling funny. Then I noticed a bit of a whining noise from the transmission which seemed to only occur during acceleration.

Took it to my mechanic where he ran the codes (P0300 random misfire and p0741 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid stuck "off") couldn't find anything noticeably wrong, so he performed a thorough tune-up and sent me on my way. Immediately the CEL came back with the same symptoms. I pulled right back into the shop and the mechanic cleared the codes, told me "drive the hell out of it." Odd advice, but I took it.

After a couple days of driving it in this condition all issues still persist. I drove it about 25 miles north to pick up some new tires. When I went to restart it, it sputtered out multiple times and text came across the dash "transmission over temp". I let it rest for 15 minutes and was able to start it after that. Drove it home where it's been parked.

From what I can tell, these are very common symptoms, but I've yet to find a common solution. Many have suggested having the PCM flashed by the dealer, which I'm in favor of as the Jeep tends to drive normally until the engine light comes on. I'm just wondering if there's any sort of troubleshooting I can do myself prior to dropping more money. I'm still kicking myself over that luxurious $250 tune-up.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2464.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	30753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92 Points: 21,510, Level: 92
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
@Dylan Stevens;

Welcome to the forum; Read through this thread - it should help answer at least some of your questions:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...emp-error.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-11-2018 at 04:32 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
2WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Lots of weird **** happen with these vehicles when the battery is on its way out, and many mechanics, including the dealer, will chase random CELs and throw parts at it for awhile never suspecting a battery or electrical connection. I would try having the battery/alternator tested, and check and clean of the grounds.

That might be something worth trying.

p0300 is a generic misfire code. Typically they are followed by specific codes refferring to which cylinder is actually misfiring. If all six are misfiring you will get p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304 p0305 p0306 also.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 03-11-2018 at 05:32 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks for the link! Seems like the "trans over temp" message could have many different outcomes. Mine only seems to pop up after driving a good distance at freeway speeds. You can hear the whine and strain on the trans during acceleration which leads me to believe this message might actually be relevant.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks for the tip!

Seems like the battery/alternator/starter all check out fine. Battery terminals are spotless and cables are tight. Everything under the hood looks very tidy. I've never had a problem with a cold start up or even driving around town. The problem tends to occur at speeds above 40 mph and only when the engine light kicks on. Otherwise it starts, idles, shifts, and drives with no issues. The minute the engine light comes on things start to get weird and transmission starts to roar and whine. After 20-30 minutes of driving at high speeds, if I turn off the vehicle and restart it, that's when I get sputtering and "trans over temp" message. It'll start again after 20 minutes of sitting.

I dropped it off with dealer this morning for a diagnostics check and ignition recall. Crossing my fingers it's just low on trans fluid. I would be devastated if I gave up my unicorn XJ for a lemon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	30761  
luckyse7ens likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

2WD
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Stevens View Post
Thanks for the tip!

Seems like the battery/alternator/starter all check out fine. Battery terminals are spotless and cables are tight. Everything under the hood looks very tidy. I've never had a problem with a cold start up or even driving around town. The problem tends to occur at speeds above 40 mph and only when the engine light kicks on. Otherwise it starts, idles, shifts, and drives with no issues. The minute the engine light comes on things start to get weird and transmission starts to roar and whine. After 20-30 minutes of driving at high speeds, if I turn off the vehicle and restart it, that's when I get sputtering and "trans over temp" message. It'll start again after 20 minutes of sitting.

I dropped it off with dealer this morning for a diagnostics check and ignition recall. Crossing my fingers it's just low on trans fluid. I would be devastated if I gave up my unicorn XJ for a lemon.
Hmm sounds like it very well might be trans related. Over 40 is when you should be getting lockup generally. The roaring and whining is likely the convertor slipping.

Good grief if you spend 250 on a "tune up" the least they could have done is checked the trans fluid.

Could just be the TC solenoid is shot.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Just got word back from the dealership. They said there was a trans leak which resulted in a large loss of fluid. They want to replace the transmission and front driveshaft for a grand total of only $5,300 plus tax. Only $600 more than what I have in the vehicle already.

I asked them to top off the trans fluid and I'll come get it. If anyone knows of a trusted transmission shop in middle Tennessee, I'd like to get another opinion. In the meantime, I'm going to take my chances and see how it drives after having fluid added and replacing the leaky fluid lines.

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate the support!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76 Points: 13,805, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 180000
The 545rfe remanufactured is running about $1700...

spprecision.com/products/545rfe-transmission-for-sale.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Z3VBRC-ARIsAEQifZQpwesjGphVauS9EGh3Smx0m86vN4UPNHV6W4zEtF 3eCUm1WYSTM3saAuq9EALw_wcB

Then you just need to swap out.

I have no idea what the front driveshsaft has to do with the tranny running out of fluid... That is either separate issue or just to screw you.

2010 5.7 QTII -
, Gas Tank Skid Mod,
, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17,
, Custom Tow Rings F/
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Angry

Hey guys, Dylan here. I encountered some issues with my other account because it was tied to Facebook. This is my new account.

UPDATES:

I found an honest guy in town to change out my transmission with a used one. He gave me a fair labor quote and is fine with me sourcing my own trans. I've found a few online with good mileage and warranty.

I've also discovered that I need to rebuilt my CV joint on the front driveshaft and change out my two front hubs. My mechanic feels these are the source of noise I hear at high speeds rather than the transmission. He's requested that I take care of these items prior to replacing the trans. I feel confident doing this myself and parts are on the way.

In the meantime I've been chasing this P0300 code while waiting on parts. It's been idling funny and hesitates to accelerate. I switched out the crankshaft position sensor, but didn't notice any difference. Took it back to auto zone to run the codes again and FINALLY it suggested the throttle position sensor. I've changed this out on my previous Jeeps, so no big deal. Now I'm confused because I can't find a TPS anywhere on this model or any information on it changing it online. I did find one thread that suggests there is no stand-alone sensor for the 3.7 model and that it's actually integrated into the throttle body. Does this mean I have to replace the throttle body?

I'm nearly about to pull my hair out over this thing.

Thank you all for your comments. It's been very helpful.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

4WD
3.7L Throttle Position Sensor? CEL code P0300

Hi all! I had to make a new account because my previous one had login issues due to being tied with Facebook.

I've been chasing a P0300 random misfire code on my '07 Commander 3.7L 4x4. It idles funny and hesitates to accelerate. Sometimes it feels like it's going to stall after driving for 15-20 minutes. Check engine light is on.

I've switched out the crankshaft position sensor (no change). Took it back to auto zone and had the codes run again and FINALLY it's telling me the throttle position sensor needs replacing. Trouble is, I can't find a TPS on this thing to save my life. I've only found one video of a TPS being changed on a Commander and it was on a 4.7, the setup does not look the same as mine.

I found another link suggesting that there is no TPS on the 3.7, but that it's integrated into the throttle body. Does this mean I need to replace the whole throttle body?

Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for your wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Tags
check engine light , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in