Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Hello from BC

Just got a new to me XK not long ago, a 2006 with 90k miles on it (it's actually setup for km, but I switched the odometer display to miles as that still makes more sense to me). This is my second Jeep vehicle, had a KJ for a few years and had a good experience with that.

This Commander seemed to be in good shape with low miles and no rust to speak of at a good price so I pulled the trigger and bought it. I hadn't had it home for a whole day before it threw a CEL and a P3497 code for the MDS at me. The shop truck at one of my past jobs had an '06 Ram with the hemi in it, and the MDS in this XK did seem a bit jerky compared to that. I think the computer disabled the MDS after it threw that code, because it doesn't seem to 'surge' when it kicks in and out anymore. Seemed to unlock the torque converter as it did so as well. Other than that issue, I really like the Commander, it's a sweet ride and I have no doubt that it's gonna be a gem off road with the QDII setup!

Now that I've got a few days off work, I'll be starting my usual routine when buying a new to me vehicle, and go through it and change all the fluids, plugs, filters etc. No way to know if that's all been done or not.

The oil does seem pretty dirty and I don't know what's been put in it, so I'm hoping that changing that out with the recommended 5w20 will help the MDS issues. For some reason the little cheap scan tool that I have won't clear the code though. I think I'll probably just disconnect the battery after I change the oil and see if that does the trick. Hopefully the code won't come back, as I don't really want to pull the intake and chase down the MDS solenoids.

Last edited by GTF; 04-05-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,077, Level: 94 Points: 24,077, Level: 94 Points: 24,077, Level: 94
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Just got a new to me XK not long ago, a 2006 with 90k miles on it (it's actually setup for km, but I switched the odometer display to miles as that still makes more sense to me). This is my second Jeep vehicle, had a KJ for a few years and had a good experience with that.

This Commander seemed to be in good shape with low miles and no rust to speak of at a good price so I pulled the trigger and bought it. I hadn't had it home for a whole day before it threw a CEL and a P3497 code for the MDS at me.
@GTF;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you are able.

Please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

The very first thing I would do (if you haven't done it already) is check to see if all of the factory re-calls & campaigns have been completed for your Commander by clicking on the hyperlink below & just plugging in the VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Additionally if you buy a Commander, and it didn't come with an owner's manual, you can download and print a factory owner's manual from this website; here is the link - and again, this is from the same website I listed above, I just navigated to the point where you select "year" and "model" of the vehicle you want the owner's manual for:

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-08-2018 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
GTF
Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Well, so far so good. I changed the oil with some quality synthetic 5w20 oil, and disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes while I was doing it. The MDS seems to operate a lot more smoothly now. It has been a couple of days and so far so good, no codes yet. I know these things sometimes take time to show up, but the Hemi seems to be operating a lot more smoothly now as the MDS kicks on and off.

I know this thing is a thirsty beast, so I'm happy that the MDS is working well now. Every little bit helps! However, I also love that when I put my foot into the skinny pedal that the Hemi wastes no time giving the Commander a swift kick in the ace, that motor is no slouch!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,077, Level: 94 Points: 24,077, Level: 94 Points: 24,077, Level: 94
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Well, so far so good. I changed the oil with some quality synthetic 5w20 oil, and disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes while I was doing it. The MDS seems to operate a lot more smoothly now. It has been a couple of days and so far so good, no codes yet. I know these things sometimes take time to show up, but the Hemi seems to be operating a lot more smoothly now as the MDS kicks on and off.

I know this thing is a thirsty beast, so I'm happy that the MDS is working well now. Every little bit helps! However, I also love that when I put my foot into the skinny pedal that the Hemi wastes no time giving the Commander a swift kick in the ace, that motor is no slouch!
Glad to hear everything is going smoothly;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can - after you reach 5 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in