Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 167000
Hello from Whittier, CA

Hello everybody, I'm Alex,proud new owner of a high mileage '06 Hemi Limited Commander.
Loving the jeep so far. As can be expected with a vehicle this age, it does have some issues. Biggest issue is a clunk when I shift from P to drive or reverse. I went to an AAMCO to have it checked out, they told me that three differential mounts had collapsed. They wanted a $1000 to replace them, that figure includes service to the differential (new fluid).

Now I searched the forum, and found that the front differential Bushings often cause this problem. I have a couple of basic questions and I hope some of you will be able to help me with this.
1: Are bushings part of the mount?
2: how many front differential mounts/bushings are there?
3: Does $1000 sound reasonable to you?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40 Points: 3,984, Level: 40
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 120,000
Garage
Can’t answer any of those questions...but WELCOME!! I’m north of you, Bay Area, it’s nice to have more CA folk on here!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

4WD
Thank you! Its nice being a part of this forum with all the info members share.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKomander View Post
Hello everybody, I'm Alex,proud new owner of a high mileage '06 Hemi Limited Commander.
Loving the jeep so far. As can be expected with a vehicle this age, it does have some issues. Biggest issue is a clunk when I shift from P to drive or reverse. I went to an AAMCO to have it checked out, they told me that three differential mounts had collapsed. They wanted a $1000 to replace them, that figure includes service to the differential (new fluid).

Now I searched the forum, and found that the front differential Bushings often cause this problem. I have a couple of basic questions and I hope some of you will be able to help me with this.
1: Are bushings part of the mount?
2: how many front differential mounts/bushings are there?
3: Does $1000 sound reasonable to you?

Thank you!
@ElKomander ;

I believe there are 2 front differential bushings - upper & lower. Typically it's the upper front differential bushing that wears out when you start hearing the front end clunking. However that is not necessarily the only thing that could be causing the issue - could be sway bar links and or some other front end component going bad like the bushings in your front upper or lower control arms.

And $1,000 sounds ridiculously expensive if it is in fact a front upper differential bushing issue.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do more upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-14-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

4WD
The jeep needs some tlc, but eventually i will put some pictures up. I took it to a couple of places and they are telling me it looks like the motor mounts are no good. When the mechanic pressed the gas i could see the hemi jump up on the driver's side. Maybe ill have that fixed first and go from there. I have a k&n airfilter coming and im replacing the oil with full synthetic. Right now i have to really work for it to get 10 mpg in the city. I should probably look at the state of the spark plugs as well to see if i can get that up a little. Thanks for all the info big blue, ive got lots of reading to do.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
The jeep needs some tlc, but eventually i will put some pictures up. I took it to a couple of places and they are telling me it looks like the motor mounts are no good. When the mechanic pressed the gas i could see the hemi jump up on the driver's side. Maybe ill have that fixed first and go from there. I have a k&n airfilter coming and im replacing the oil with full synthetic. Right now i have to really work for it to get 10 mpg in the city. I should probably look at the state of the spark plugs as well to see if i can get that up a little. Thanks for all the info big blue, ive got lots of reading to do.
My pleasure ElKomander, let me know how it goes.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Well, I installed the K&N filter. Dropping off the kids this morning the MPG on the dashboard hit the magical number of 10.5 for a second, an all time city mpg high for me, up from 10.3 . I just put 17 gallons in the jeep so I'm monitoring how far those will take me. Also, I just figured out that my tires are a little bit larger, 245/70R17. Using the GPS on my phone it seems like I'm going a little faster than my speedometer reads, so I think it was never adjusted for the bigger tires. That means my actual mpg is a whooping 3% better compared to the readouts, right?
After I get all the fluids changed out I might try the flashpaq. This beast is not made for stop and go city driving (Its a schoolbus right now) but I'd like to get the most out of it
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Using the GPS on my phone it seems like I'm going a little faster than my speedometer reads, so I think it was never adjusted for the bigger tires. That means my actual mpg is a whooping 3% better compared to the readouts, right?
After I get all the fluids changed out I might try the flashpaq. This beast is not made for stop and go city driving (Its a schoolbus right now) but I'd like to get the most out of it
Adjusting the speedo for the larger tire size will help.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Took my jeep to get a third opinion. Engine mounts are fine, however i do need all the front differential bushings replaced. They quoted me 400 on parts and a 1000 on labor. Wow... Using the websites big blue provided i was able to find the three parts for around 190 including shipping... The same parts from crown automotive are about $80. Does anyone have any experience with those? Im hoping not to have to do the same repairs 10000 miles from now. Maybe i should just stick with the factory parts. Now ill i havd to do is find a mechanic who will do the job for a more reasonable amount.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Took my jeep to get a third opinion. Engine mounts are fine, however i do need all the front differential bushings replaced. They quoted me 400 on parts and a 1000 on labor. Wow... Using the websites big blue provided i was able to find the three parts for around 190 including shipping... The same parts from crown automotive are about $80. Does anyone have any experience with those? Im hoping not to have to do the same repairs 10000 miles from now. Maybe i should just stick with the factory parts. Now ill i havd to do is find a mechanic who will do the job for a more reasonable amount.
That labor quote sounds extremely high to me.

I even question the parts quote based on what you found.

You might want to look for a more reputable shop that has more reasonable labor rates.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in