Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 200000 km
Salutations!

Hi everybody!

Just signed up because I'm buying a 2007 commander limited with the 3.0 diesel!

Hope I'm making a good purchase, I've wanted one since they came out. I've got the tan interior but I would have loved the black. Not available in France though, tough nuggets.

I'm hoping to find too much information on the mods possible to make this baby unique and the way I like it. I'm never going to sell it. I'll keep it until it dies and then some. When I buy another vehicle, this will be my camping rig.

Catch you on the flipside!

Cheers,

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180508-083103_1525761088307.jpg (8.2 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,459, Level: 92 Points: 21,459, Level: 92 Points: 21,459, Level: 92
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelCommander View Post
Hi everybody!

Just signed up because I'm buying a 2007 commander limited with the 3.0 diesel!

Hope I'm making a good purchase, I've wanted one since they came out. I've got the tan interior but I would have loved the black. Not available in France though, tough nuggets.

I'm hoping to find too much information on the mods possible to make this baby unique and the way I like it. I'm never going to sell it. I'll keep it until it dies and then some. When I buy another vehicle, this will be my camping rig.

Catch you on the flipside!

Cheers,

Jeff
@KernelCommander;

Welcome to the forum Jeff; That picture of your Commander is pretty small, maybe post some larger pics when you can.

I've been to France several times in my life - Marseille, Cannes, Toulon, Paris & Nice just to name a few cities I've been to over there - I even went to the top of the Eifel Tower. France is a great country, I've always had a good time over there. Most of that was when I was younger, I haven't been there in the last 25 years or so.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do some upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-08-2018 at 09:00 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Thanks Blue!

I'm going to do my homework and start saving money for some goodies. Is there a mod from everything I've read so far that is indispensable? At least for the first 6 months?

France is a very beautiful place I do agree, but one problem I have with it is the lack of offroading trails, at least on the whereabouts of my home. And the fact that you can't set up camp anywhere you want in the forest 😕

I read that the commander tends to have a bit of body roll, do you think a small, stiffer lift would help with that problem?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Blue!

I'm going to do my homework and start saving money for some goodies. Is there a mod from everything I've read so far that is indispensable? At least for the first 6 months?

France is a very beautiful place I do agree, but one problem I have with it is the lack of offroading trails, at least on the whereabouts of my home. And the fact that you can't set up camp anywhere you want in the forest 😕

I read that the commander tends to have a bit of body roll, do you think a small, stiffer lift would help with that problem?
They do tend to have body roll because they are somewhat of a high profile vehicle and are a little top-heavy too; Raising it higher would give it even more of a tendency to roll - but stiffer springs can help compensate for that to some degree.

In my opinion, Commanders will always be top heavy with some degree of body roll, regardless of what lift & springs you use.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Well guess what I just read that bust my balls!

We can't modify anything on our vehicles in France. It wouldn't pass the homologation criteria. no big wheels, no lift, no bumpers, and I have to take it to get the lights homologated if I have a light bar put in since it's not a factory part and not approved by the European Comission. Cool. There are still mods that I CAN do with the loopholes and blanks in the laws and regulations, but that's kind of whack. europe sucks for that.

Is there info on the forum for specs and sizes of at least the suspension? I'm guessing there's not much bolt-on and I'll have to adapt something but if I can find aproximate sizes (height, bolt patterns, etc..) I'll make it look as stock as possible.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Well guess what I just read that bust my balls!

We can't modify anything on our vehicles in France. It wouldn't pass the homologation criteria. no big wheels, no lift, no bumpers, and I have to take it to get the lights homologated if I have a light bar put in since it's not a factory part and not approved by the European Comission. Cool.
Oh WOW....that's a raw deal.

I do love France as a tourist - but if I were a full-time resident, I'd probably move to another country after hearing that if I was in your position right now.....no joke.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-11-2018 at 07:57 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM
J10
Points: 1,126, Level: 18 Points: 1,126, Level: 18 Points: 1,126, Level: 18
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 175000
Tire brands also help out with control. I have had several full size Ford 15 passenger vans, and BFG's have really stiff sidewalls. I tried some Goodyears on the van and it felt like I was driving on tires with low pressure. Even raising the pressure did not change it. I did not understand the importance of high center of gravity and sidewalls. The BFG's made a huge difference. I bought my Commander about a year and a half ago and put on BFG TKO2's and the control (other than body roll) was markedly different. I also put Billsteins on it and it is far more inspiring in terms of driving.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by J10 View Post
Tire brands also help out with control. I have had several full size Ford 15 passenger vans, and BFG's have really stiff sidewalls. I tried some Goodyears on the van and it felt like I was driving on tires with low pressure. Even raising the pressure did not change it. I did not understand the importance of high center of gravity and sidewalls. The BFG's made a huge difference. I bought my Commander about a year and a half ago and put on BFG TKO2's and the control (other than body roll) was markedly different. I also put Billsteins on it and it is far more inspiring in terms of driving.
Thanks for the info J10, I don't know what the tires now are on it but I'll change them for the the BFG when I can! As for the bilstein, I saw those and I might buy them first since I'm not going to be lifting it. Would it be better to get the height adjustable ones or any of them will do? Most people buy them when they are lifting their jeep right?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I'd probably move to another country after hearing that if I was in your position right now.....no joke.
I know right?!

Unfortunately that's not in my options 😭 I'm almost finished building my house and I wanna spend a couple years in it. The Mrs and I want to move to Canada sometime in our life though so sooner or later I'll be gone from this restricted place!

For now I'll just stick a trailer with the bikes on it to rip through the woods.
Big Blue likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:29 AM
J10
Points: 1,126, Level: 18 Points: 1,126, Level: 18 Points: 1,126, Level: 18
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 175000
I think it depends on how much of a lift, and what type of lift you do. Mine was fine with the Daystar 2" lift because of how it was engineered. So you may want to check on the specs from the lift supplier to see what they recommend.

The Daystar lift does not look too radical, and it may pass the inspection as there are already bushings (a lot smaller than the new ones, but it does not look too rad). After all, how many Commanders are there? Do they pull out a measuring stick to see what it came with stock? Tough world there! Good luck.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in