Huge problems with 4.7 (Overheating, smoking) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 203, Level: 4 Points: 203, Level: 4 Points: 203, Level: 4
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
Current Mileage: 127000
Huge problems with 4.7 (Overheating, smoking)

I recently bought an 06 Commander 4.7 to use to haul some light weight stuff back and forth. The guy I bought it from was a mechanic, whom had been working on this Jeep outside of work and didn't have a garage. There's a long back story with him, but buying it I had the knowledge that it had a horrible oil leak and that it was probably the air intake manifold.

Bought the Jeep, switched out the air intake mani and found the original to be melted and culprit of the oil leak. After a successful swap, I thought I was in the clear but soon found other issues that I'm not sure I want to get into.

Upon starting, I let it idle for a while and it smoked but that was mainly burning off spilled oil from the manifold leak. Eventually that came to a stop, but I discovered white smoke coming from the exhaust... which from what I've read, isn't a good sign.

On top of that, it wants to over heat. At idle or driving. I don't know how involved I want to get in trying to fix this issue. Off of the top of my head it could be the thermostat or water pump, yet I don't know.

The Jeep is in great shape bodywise, and it runs and drives, which make me hate to get rid of it. Yet are these issues worth diving into when I'm not trying to put too much money into it to begin with? Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94 Points: 23,961, Level: 94
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwm01 View Post
I recently bought an 06 Commander 4.7 to use to haul some light weight stuff back and forth. The guy I bought it from was a mechanic, whom had been working on this Jeep outside of work and didn't have a garage. There's a long back story with him, but buying it I had the knowledge that it had a horrible oil leak and that it was probably the air intake manifold.

Bought the Jeep, switched out the air intake mani and found the original to be melted and culprit of the oil leak. After a successful swap, I thought I was in the clear but soon found other issues that I'm not sure I want to get into.

Upon starting, I let it idle for a while and it smoked but that was mainly burning off spilled oil from the manifold leak. Eventually that came to a stop, but I discovered white smoke coming from the exhaust... which from what I've read, isn't a good sign.

On top of that, it wants to over heat. At idle or driving. I don't know how involved I want to get in trying to fix this issue. Off of the top of my head it could be the thermostat or water pump, yet I don't know.

The Jeep is in great shape bodywise, and it runs and drives, which make me hate to get rid of it. Yet are these issues worth diving into when I'm not trying to put too much money into it to begin with? Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do?
I'm trying to keep my cool here - because I was about 10 seconds away from deleting your post @Whwm01; I absolutely can't stand when people register for an account here, so they can start posting questions about all of their problems - and they even don't bother taking the time to read anything that THEY SHOULD HAVE READ before making their 1st post - especially considering the fact that you created your account 4 days ago - and still didn't bother to read any of the required reading before you started posting.

So that being said, PLEASE READ the following and RESPOND ACCORDINGLY - you can start by completely filling out your user profile - and that will reduce the amount of questions that me - or anybody else who is going to respond to this thread - will have to ask you.

And for the record - you are not off to a great start here.

REQUIRED READING!!! Mandatory New Member Profile questions that MUST be answered.

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Please follow the forum rules - they exist for a reason.

Thanks. Big Blue; Forum Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-12-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

2WD
New member - 4.7

Hi, my name's Ben. I recently bought a 2006 Commander 4.7 2wd. Previous owner was a mechanic whom rebuilt the motor due to an overheat from the owner before him. When finished rebuilding, he discovered a bad oil leak, didn't have a personal garage to work on it while Pittsburgh faced a brutal winter. He got fed up, and sold.

I fixed the oil leak ( melted air intake manifold ) then discovered overheating and white smoke from exhaust.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Hi, my name's Ben. I recently bought a 2006 Commander 4.7 2wd. Previous owner was a mechanic whom rebuilt the motor due to an overheat from the owner before him. When finished rebuilding, he discovered a bad oil leak, didn't have a personal garage to work on it while Pittsburgh faced a brutal winter. He got fed up, and sold.

I fixed the oil leak ( melted air intake manifold ) then discovered overheating and white smoke from exhaust.
Ben welcome to the forum, I'm going to merge your other thread with this one - and then I'll try and answer some of your questions.

O.K. now that that's done, here we go.

White smoke coming from the exhaust is usually a sign of worn piston rings - which happens on higher mileage engines, although your mileage is not THAT high, so, I'm a little surprised you are seeing this already - this could also be a sign that your engine was not maintained that well over the years, IE not having the oil changed every 3,000 miles etc.

The worst case scenario would be that you have a cracked cylinder head - or a cracked engine block which could also be the result of the engine overheating on previous occasions - possibly prior to you buying it. If this turns out to be the case, your only option would be to replace the motor or the cylinder heads, whichever is cracked - or sell it as is and try & cut your losses.

The overheating could be caused by a number of things - bad water pump, a cracked radiator, a bad cooling fan - or it could be something as simple as a bad thermostat that needs to be replaced which is very minor.

Here are a couple of questions for you - are you seeing any DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) being generated in the EVIC (Electronic vehicle information console)?

Have you noticed if you are leaking any coolant at all? Have you had to add coolant to your radiator or overflow tank recently?

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-12-2018 at 09:02 PM.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Ben welcome to the forum, I'm going to merge your other thread with this one - and then I'll try and answer some of your questions.
Thank you, sorry for the mishap with the forum rules there!
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thank you, sorry for the mishap with the forum rules there!
No problem, that just happens to be one of my biggest pet peeves.....still waiting for your responses to the other questions I asked you.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-12-2018 at 09:03 PM.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

2WD
I haven't notice any leaks since fixing the oil leak, and there hasn't been any lights that have come on the dash. I really haven't been able to drive it far with this overheating issue, so I was hoping to maybe fix that and see what happens with the smoke after? I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea though
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I haven't notice any leaks since fixing the oil leak, and there hasn't been any lights that have come on the dash. I really haven't been able to drive it far with this overheating issue, so I was hoping to maybe fix that and see what happens with the smoke after? I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea though
A DTC is not a light necessarily, it's a code that you should see in your EVIC - like P0300 for example.

You can read more about DTC's here:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ble-codes-dtc/

Honestly Ben, I think the best thing you can do right now is get your Commander into a reputable Jeep/Chrysler dealership and spend the $120.00 to have a full diagnostics check done - let them pull and read whatever DT Codes that have been generated, that you're not seeing.

That will probably give you a real good indication of exactly what the problem is - and if it's worth putting the money into it to fix it or not.

Last edited by Big Blue; 05-12-2018 at 09:13 PM.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

2WD
I may have to give that a shot unfortunately. I may call the previous owner and ask him exactly what he did so I have a better idea. Also for starts would you suggest me doing a coolant flush and replace the thermostat to see if that helps the overheating issue? The coolant looks like a mustard color right now which has me thinking that wouldn't be a bad way to start.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I may have to give that a shot unfortunately. I may call the previous owner and ask him exactly what he did so I have a better idea. Also for starts would you suggest me doing a coolant flush and replace the thermostat to see if that helps the overheating issue? The coolant looks like a mustard color right now which has me thinking that wouldn't be a bad way to start.
That's definitely a good first step. Take care of those two maintenance items and then see where you're at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in