2007 5.7L Hemi Commander. Loving it, but need help with catalytic converter. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

2Likes
  • 1 Post By consumedbywater
  • 1 Post By luckyse7ens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120000
2007 5.7L Hemi Commander. Loving it, but need help with catalytic converter.

New member here. Had this Jeep for a little over a year. Besides gas mileage, I love it. The 3rd row seating is great for my 2 small kids.

My engine check light came on, and I pulled a 0420 - Catalytic Converter code. The mechanic advised I need to replace the driver-side cat.
Getting quotes from several shops puts this in the $1000-$1200 range for p+l, using an after-market Y-cat. However, one shop advised that they can weld in a universal cat at a cost of $350.

I've tried finding some information on anyone who has had this done and if there are any issues with it. Saving $700 seems worthwhile to me, but I would like to hear from anyone with experience with using the universal vs. the Y-cat. Probably a bit of a corner case, but it would be helpful to understand if I might be saving $700 now, but somehow paying additional costs later.

I couldn't post this in the General Discussion forum. I assuming I need some additional verification? Let me know and I will resubmit the question in the proper location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,207, Level: 93 Points: 23,207, Level: 93 Points: 23,207, Level: 93
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by briker View Post
New member here. Had this Jeep for a little over a year. Besides gas mileage, I love it. The 3rd row seating is great for my 2 small kids.

My engine check light came on, and I pulled a 0420 - Catalytic Converter code. The mechanic advised I need to replace the driver-side cat.
Getting quotes from several shops puts this in the $1000-$1200 range for p+l, using an after-market Y-cat. However, one shop advised that they can weld in a universal cat at a cost of $350.

I've tried finding some information on anyone who has had this done and if there are any issues with it. Saving $700 seems worthwhile to me, but I would like to hear from anyone with experience with using the universal vs. the Y-cat. Probably a bit of a corner case, but it would be helpful to understand if I might be saving $700 now, but somehow paying additional costs later.

I couldn't post this in the General Discussion forum. I assuming I need some additional verification? Let me know and I will resubmit the question in the proper location.
@briker; You can't post anywhere but in the new member section until you reach 5 posts - at that point, the rest of the forum & sub-forums should become available to you as your full user privileges should automatically kick in.

In any event, Welcome to the forum; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do some upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Cats are packed with a catalyzing component to help neutralize exhaust gases. This component is usually a precious metal, which is why they're expensive, and the reason you'll see such huge differences in OEM vs. aftermarket pricing.

It sounds like the shops are recommending two different options to you; replacing the entire y-pipe, including both factory cats, and simply welding in a new cat to replace the failed one. Both are reasonable options, with the y-pipe option being better if your exhaust is in poor condition. In addition, if one catalytic converter needs replacing, it's likely the other will fail soon.

However, what you should base your decision off more than anything is the quality of the replacement cat. Low quality cats will be cheaper, but they'll contain less material and will wear out more quickly. Universal cats are typically lower quality than factory replacement cats, but you'll need to ask the shop about which cats they plan on using.
briker likes this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

4WD
Current Mileage: 120000
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
Cats are packed with a catalyzing component to help neutralize exhaust gases. This component is usually a precious metal, which is why they're expensive, and the reason you'll see such huge differences in OEM vs. aftermarket pricing.

It sounds like the shops are recommending two different options to you; replacing the entire y-pipe, including both factory cats, and simply welding in a new cat to replace the failed one. Both are reasonable options, with the y-pipe option being better if your exhaust is in poor condition. In addition, if one catalytic converter needs replacing, it's likely the other will fail soon.

However, what you should base your decision off more than anything is the quality of the replacement cat. Low quality cats will be cheaper, but they'll contain less material and will wear out more quickly. Universal cats are typically lower quality than factory replacement cats, but you'll need to ask the shop about which cats they plan on using.
Thank you. That was exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. The universal cat that he is recommending is a high quality, from what I can determine. I think I'll give it a try. It will at least keep me running until I have the resources to replace it with the Y down the road (so to speak).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
You shouldnt really have cats just failing at this point unless you have other problems like running way too rich I would think. Are we sure it is the cat and not an o2 sensor problem?
Big Blue likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35 Points: 3,257, Level: 35
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

4WD
Current Mileage: 114,000
Garage
Hi,

For what it’s worth I’ve just had the Magnaflow 49709 installed in my 5.7, was a lot cheaper than the OEM full cat and is apparently OEM grade with the internal substrate. Seems all good at the moment. Cost £700 in the uk but sure you’ll get it much cheaper in the US.

5.7 V8 Hemi!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Points: 1,151, Level: 18 Points: 1,151, Level: 18 Points: 1,151, Level: 18
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Aftermarket cats are usually not a problem if it's equivalent in size. The problem is the cheaper ones are smaller. The only job of a cat is to store oxygen so obviously it won't work effectively if it's not equivalent in size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in