Jeep Commander Forum banner

I love and hate my Commander

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Alinasmom06 
#1 ·
So many things to love about it and it's always the stupid things I have to hate. Had to finally post here tonight (I think I've had an account with zero posts for eight years) just to complain.

Going to have a shorted amplifier or speaker again. Heard the buzzing again tonight. It will be either the third speaker I'll have to replace or the third amplifier. Makes me want to throw something through the sunroof.

The sunroof. The stupid sunroof. I can't stand the sunroof. How is it that we can design a machine so complex but we can't design a drain that works consistently. Boiling water, compressed air, circumcise the tube (cut the tip off) and yet they still seem to clog. There's even a guy who used CLR to unstick them.

And when I've taken apart the front tubes, it's just compacted black grit. It's not leaves or anything else, it seems like it's just road dirt that cakes in there and clogs the tubes.

And then the rear drain holes. The Sasquatch of drain holes. Do they exist? I can say definitively that they do. After purchasing a three day subscription to Tech Authority and yanking off headliners and more trim pieces than I care to think
about - there they are. Although they seem to run right into a body pillar to the point where you can't see the lower ends of them.

I wouldn't mind if I just got a little damp and just had to unclog them again a year later. But the water tends to seep and travel along the headliner right to the rear driver side trim panel and right down the amplifier cable. Bzzzzt shorted and fried amplifier. Hopfully you didn't blow a couple of speakers too. And Boston acoustics is so kind to dip their amplifier boards in epoxy and make it more effort than it's worth to repair them.

And if it's the front that's clogged and you're parked nose down, prepare for water to leak out of the crash handle screw holes right into the speaker grille and bzzt......shorted there.

So raised pitchfork for corrugated tubing for drains! Other than that I really do love my Commander.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So many things to love about it and it's always the stupid things I have to hate. Had to finally post here tonight (I think I've had an account with zero posts for eight years) just to complain.

Going to have a shorted amplifier or speaker again. Heard the buzzing again tonight. It will be either the third speaker I'll have to replace or the third amplifier. Makes me want to throw something through the sunroof.

The sunroof. The stupid sunroof. I can't stand the sunroof. How is it that we can design a machine so complex but we can't design a drain that works consistently. Boiling water, compressed air, circumcise the tube (cut the tip off) and yet they still seem to clog. There's even a guy who used CLR to unstick them.

And when I've taken apart the front tubes, it's just compacted black grit. It's not leaves or anything else, it seems like it's just road dirt that cakes in there and clogs the tubes.

And then the rear drain holes. The Sasquatch of drain holes. Do they exist? I can say definitively that they do. After purchasing a three day subscription to Tech Authority and yanking off headliners and more trim pieces than I care to think
about - there they are. Although they seem to run right into a body pillar to the point where you can't see the lower ends of them.

I wouldn't mind if I just got a little damp and just had to unclog them again a year later. But the water tends to seep and travel along the headliner right to the rear driver side trim panel and right down the amplifier cable. Bzzzzt shorted and fried amplifier. Hopfully you didn't blow a couple of speakers too. And Boston acoustics is so kind to dip their amplifier boards in epoxy and make it more effort than it's worth to repair them.

And if it's the front that's clogged and you're parked nose down, prepare for water to leak out of the crash handle screw holes right into the speaker grille and bzzt......shorted there.

So raised pitchfork for corrugated tubing for drains! Other than that I really do love my Commander.
@EvilKingTeapot; You think you had it bad - read this (3rd post down):

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

In any event, welcome to the forum;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

#3 ·
Someone told me to clean it out real good ( I also used the CLR to get all the gunk out, flushed it real good with hot wayer and a cheap transfer pump I had for flushing the radiator in my old car ) and then dump a little engine oil in each tube to keep it slick and so dirt wont compact up in there. Hope it helps some!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.