Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 76000
Red face Outside looking in..

Hi, Dave here.

I've had jeeps in the past, but older ones. Like I had a 1954 Willy's Flat-head 4 jeep. That was awesome, but ... ultimately not road worthy. I also had a Veep for about 3 years. That was also fun, and road worthy and I have a ton of stories about my misadventures there. Well, now I'm interested in buying a Jeep Commander. I'm not sure why. I guess I may be obsessing. I'm here to find out everything I can before I buy and hopefully, I can become part of a larger community of aficionados. I know I'm going to need to work on this thing. Anyway. I live in Austin, Tx and we're a family of 6.

Cheers,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Points: 894, Level: 15 Points: 894, Level: 15 Points: 894, Level: 15
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 69500
I'm in Central Texas as well. Love my Commander. Advice...well I'd say go Hemi...and I believe 2009 plus for the improved heads and more hp. There's a list of common aftermarket sources on here if your into spending some extra dough...and with fewer choices come some higher costs in that department.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 PM

4WD
Also that 3rd row isn't entirely useful for bigger kids. And with the 3rd row up, it takes up the cargo room. We are a family of 4 so I took the third row out and it sits on a shelf in the garage. Good luck with your search!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

4WD
Thx.

I think I have found my Jeep. Let me know if you want to help me vet the decision.

It's a 2010 Black Hemi 5.7 (Limited) - Full leather. Looks to me like it's in mint condition. Carfax shows some major work done to the transmission and transfer case (but a while ago). I can share deets in a PM if you think you can help.

Also, the asking price seemed pretty high to me.. $16800.00.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I have 4 kids. 14, 13, 11, 7; so I'm guessing the 7 year old gets to ride in the way back. I've seen a couple of these things and fully understand the pretend nature of the 3rd row.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 110,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scassa View Post
Thx.

I think I have found my Jeep. Let me know if you want to help me vet the decision.

It's a 2010 Black Hemi 5.7 (Limited) - Full leather. Looks to me like it's in mint condition. Carfax shows some major work done to the transmission and transfer case (but a while ago). I can share deets in a PM if you think you can help.

Depending on the mileage that may be a little high, try and haggle down a bit. It doesn't hurt to try.

Welcome to the club, I've pulled the trigger on a Commander in the last few months myself. It is comfortable to seat 5 with all your gear doing a couple hundred miles a day (I've driven to Sedona and back in a day from Vegas twice already). The Hemi has plenty of power, and from everyone chiming in, mileage will suck no matter the power plant, so get the Hemi.

In terms of off-road prowess, the QD-II is darn near unstoppable, limited only by tires with no grip or ground clearance. The aftermarket is somewhat limited and therefore it is more expensive to mod over say a Wrangler or Cherokee XJ, but right at about the same price point as a 4Runner, Xterra or FJ Crusier.

If you're into hardcore wheeling, know that the Commander is very capable but limited because of the small wheel wells, electronic bits that cut in to stop the fun after about 3" of lift and the IFS up front is prone to leaving you wibble-wobbing when negotiating deeper ruts or descending steep inclines.

That being said, I personally am a weekend warrior who is currently sitting stock and I wouldn't bat an eye to anything I've done in my Xterra or my buddy's LR Discovery on our hunting and weekend camping trips in the Commander. The only difference I'd imagine is that the Commander would do it with a lot more cargo capacity, overall comfort of the passengers and with ~2mpgs less than the other guys.
CPCommander likes this.

Should have been a cowboy...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

4WD
The mileage is 75,000 so it's a bit lower than most.

Can you share what you paid & at what mileage?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 110,000
Garage
Quote:
The mileage is 75,000 so it's a bit lower than most.

Can you share what you paid & at what mileage?
$9,500 is what I paid at 106,000 with a full service record, it was however a private party sale.

The lady I bought it from used it to drive from Vegas to Lake Tahoe and back quite often. She seemed very well off and had all services performed at the dealer, any recommendation the service advisor threw her way she bought. The shocks are worn at this point, so it's my time to install a lift with the sweet blisterin shocks and RRO UCAs.

Should have been a cowboy...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 06:58 AM

4WD
Mine is a 2010 black limited which sounds very similar to the one you've found. No concerns on the carfax, no rust underneath (it had been in Arizona and Fort Hood only so no high risk rust areas). This was 4 years ago and had 52k miles. Paid I think 19K. Great shape inside and out. The a/c had a slight funk but that was fixable. No regrets but coming from a jk, the biggest learning was the cost and little more pain with each upgrade. If you get one, I've got parts and close as I'm in Georgetown.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Hi, Dave here.

Well, now I'm interested in buying a Jeep Commander. I'm not sure why. I guess I may be obsessing. I'm here to find out everything I can before I buy and hopefully, I can become part of a larger community of aficionados. I know I'm going to need to work on this thing. Anyway. I live in Austin, Tx and we're a family of 6.

Cheers,

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scassa
Thx.

Dave,

Welcome to the forum, pretty much everything you would need to know and be front loaded with you'll find here:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...oking-buy.html

and here:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...mber-info.html

Here is a good car buying search engine called cargurus.com that I already set up for you; I just picked a random zip code for Austin, TX and used a 100 mile search radius; you can just change the zip code and the search radius to whatever suits you;

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

At a quick glance with what the search results yielded - this one is not bad the mileage is on the high side, but, the price is right - only $6,000.00:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

It also needs to have the N23 recall completed (THE FINAL DRIVE CONTROLLER MODULE MUST BE REPROGRAMMED WITH UPDATED SOFTWARE) which you could use as ammunition to chew them down even more on the price: You can see that here when you plug in the VIN (1J8HG48P87C601147) which I pulled off of cargurus:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...s/results.html

It's a 2007 Sport with 148,275 miles on it & it has the 4.7L V-8 and it's a 4x4 with QT-II which gives you the ability to drop down into 4-LOW because it has a 2 speed (NV245) transfer case and it also has 3.73 gears in the rear end, which makes it a true Jeep Trail-Rated 4x4, here is the build sheet for it:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...HG48P87C601147

The reason why I did all this is not because I want you to buy it, it's to set an example for you and the rest of the forum: This is all the information you should have in hand when you are going to look at - or buy a Commander if you want to make a smart & informed purchase; Of course I'd definitely recommend having a CarFax report in hand as well.

So Dave, you can use all the tools I provided you above to properly vet this 2010 Black Limited XK that you are looking at before you pull the trigger - all you need to do is obtain the VIN # for it.

FYI, yes, $16,800 is definitely on the high side - but not completely ridiculous considering the mileage. A clean CarFax report & a complete, up to date maintenance history would justify the price even more so.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-02-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in