Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 162,456
2007 Commander

Hi fellas, I’m new to the commander and never owned a Jeep before. I was intrigued watching a YouTube video with QD2 and went on a mission to find a 3rd row wheeler from Jeep. Unfortunately, I’ve had a few hiccups that hopefully are normal or easily fixed. I tried my best to purchase a mall crawler to minimize the chance of buying a trail rig.

I’m new to the Hemi engine, sound, pattern, and passing power. My 5.6 Armada feels a lot more powerful, but I thought the higher tq of the hemi may be masking the difference ? Around 2-3k rpm it sounds funny while under a load. (No knocks or smoke) I had the differential and transfer case drained and fluids looked perfect. I notice every once in a while the transmission holds 4th gear a little longer than anticipated but it always upshifts to 5th smoothly during those times.(fluid looks good and doesn’t smell cooked) I took it on a 10 mile test drive with the air conditioning and radio off, but for some reason these symptoms didn’t exist. I also found a loading ramp to test the awd and everything engage without any noticeable issues.

Today while taking the whole family to the zoo it seemed to either bog/misfire for the first time and multiple lights came on the dash including service 4wd. I immediately cancelled cruise control and coasted for a few hundred ft and everything went back to normal. No dash lights, no warnings, and no bog.

Hopefully, the issue above are easily remedy so I can start modifying. 2” lift , rubicon wheels, jab upper arms, and 1.5 hub centric spacers are on the order list once I make sure I didn’t stumble upon a lemon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91 Points: 20,980, Level: 91
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
Hi fellas, I’m new to the commander and never owned a Jeep before.
@Towmater ;

PLEASE click on the link below and read it so you can properly complete your user profile.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...mber-info.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-03-2018 at 09:39 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 PM
GTF
Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

4WD
When buying a new rig, I always like to go through it and replace all of the consumable parts such as plugs, filters & oil change etc. The Hemi is very picky about oil viscosity, so make sure you're using the correct weight listed on the cap... should be 0w20 if memory serves me right.

I had some issues with some of the interior & even dash lights going wonky. I replaced the multi-function switch (the one that controls the turn signals, headlights, etc.) and everything seems to be working normally since then. The main reason I changed it though, was that the interior lights & dimmer were clearly not dimming or working as they should. Seems that quite a number of things are related to that switch, but thankfully it was only like a $60 fix and took literally 5 minutes to change.

May want to check to see if it's throwing any codes, sometimes people will clear them before they sell, and you won't find out til a week later. Good luck!
Towmater likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
When buying a new rig, I always like to go through it and replace all of the consumable parts such as plugs, filters & oil change etc. The Hemi is very picky about oil viscosity, so make sure you're using the correct weight listed on the cap... should be 0w20 if memory serves me right.

I had some issues with some of the interior & even dash lights going wonky. I replaced the multi-function switch (the one that controls the turn signals, headlights, etc.) and everything seems to be working normally since then. The main reason I changed it though, was that the interior lights & dimmer were clearly not dimming or working as they should. Seems that quite a number of things are related to that switch, but thankfully it was only like a $60 fix and took literally 5 minutes to change.

May want to check to see if it's throwing any codes, sometimes people will clear them before they sell, and you won't find out til a week later. Good luck!

The page reloaded before I was finished typing my short story. In short, I’m running the correct weight oil and it was changed before making the journey home. I haven’t changed the spark plugs, but it hasn’t displayed a foul plug like symptom 98 percent of the time. The engine light didn’t come on, just the abs, traction control , and service awd message. Then it quickly disappeared before I got the chance to pull over to look it over.

I’ve replaced all the fluid minus the transmission since I took ownership. I’m waiting on the oem filter as I was told the aftermarket trans filters are hit and miss for Chrysler products. I’d rather not take the chance to verify on my own.

I’d be thrilled if I only needed 16 spark plugs to cure my concern. I appreciate you taking the time to help!

Last edited by Towmater; 06-03-2018 at 10:33 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
@Towmater ;

PLEASE click on the link below and read it so you can properly complete your user profile
Luckily, I was able to do this from my phone instead of a desktop. I was getting a little worried their for a moment as I only use a desktop for work.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 PM
GTF
Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

4WD
Quote:
The page reloaded before I was finished typing my short story. In short, Iím running the correct weight oil and it was changed before making the journey home. I havenít changed the spark plugs, but it hasnít displayed a foul plug like symptom 98 percent of the time. The engine light didnít come on, just the abs, traction control , and service awd message. Then it quickly disappeared before I got the chance to pull over to look it over.

Iíve replaced all the fluid minus the transmission since I took ownership. Iím waiting on the oem filter as I was told the aftermarket trans filters are hit and miss for Chrysler products. Iíd rather not take the chance to verify on my own.

Iíd be thrilled if I only needed 16 spark plugs to cure my concern. I appreciate you taking the time to help!
Perhaps this could be related to the ignition switch. I know there was a recall related to that, so may want to make sure that was complied with, although I'm not sure that would cause your issue. Seems possible the ignition switch may be the culprit though, but that's just a guess. It's not as scary as it sounds, like a $25 part and from what I've read, not very difficult to replace... maybe a 30 minute job.
Towmater likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Luckily, I was able to do this from my phone instead of a desktop. I was getting a little worried their for a moment as I only use a desktop for work.
Very good, thank you & welcome to the forum.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Check for codes for sure. I had the same issue with lights and the codes indicated a wheel speed sensor.
Towmater likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Perhaps this could be related to the ignition switch. I know there was a recall related to that, so may want to make sure that was complied with
You can check the status of all the recalls for your Commander here - just plug in your VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

You can go the website URL below to get the factory build sheet; You can also order an owner's manuals from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

http://www-5.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link above and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Quote:
The page reloaded before I was finished typing my short story. In short, I’m running the correct weight oil and it was changed before making the journey home. I haven’t changed the spark plugs, but it hasn’t displayed a foul plug like symptom 98 percent of the time. The engine light didn’t come on, just the abs, traction control , and service awd message. Then it quickly disappeared before I got the chance to pull over to look it over.

I’ve replaced all the fluid minus the transmission since I took ownership. I’m waiting on the oem filter as I was told the aftermarket trans filters are hit and miss for Chrysler products. I’d rather not take the chance to verify on my own.

I’d be thrilled if I only needed 16 spark plugs to cure my concern. I appreciate you taking the time to help!
Perhaps this could be related to the ignition switch. I know there was a recall related to that, so may want to make sure that was complied with, although I'm not sure that would cause your issue. Seems possible the ignition switch may be the culprit though, but that's just a guess. It's not as scary as it sounds, like a $25 part and from what I've read, not very difficult to replace... maybe a 30 minute job.
I have an open recall according to carfax, but I read on this very forum that people complained about service awd light appearing afterwards. I’d rather avoid that can of worms. I will look into replacing the ignition switch after I drive another Hemi and swap out the plugs. Majority of the Commanders I test drove had the 4.7l and my favorite one to date was the updated 4.7l in the 2008, but the deal fell through. I think majority of my concerns with the 5.7l is not having enough seat time behind the wheel mixed with that one issue I reported above.

I haven’t changed the spark plugs yet, but that’s next along with the rear differential/transmission drain and fill. I’ve serviced everything else including draining out the old coolant for new as most people I know never perform that service. A lot neglect to change their transmission fluid as well, but I've had good luck keeping the transmission fluid clean to date.

I know my Jeep has high miles, so I should prepare for small and major issues. I just need to determine if I should drive through these issues or fix them right away. The bang per buck value starts to decline the more money I throw towards the Commander. The slight stutter triggering the abs,traction control , and services 4wd light needs to be figured out ASAP when I have more time to trouble shoot. I’ve put an additional 200 miles since that first encounter with the random warning lights and thought it was going to happen today after a felt a slight studder, but I let out of the throttle quickly this time and it cleared up right away without lighting up the cluster full of warnings.

#1 goal is to get rid of any vehicle payment until my kids are adults, so I sold my brand new truck and plan to sell our car to put funds towards educational trips with the occasional Disney trip thrown in with our children as they're only young once. I probably should’ve bought a minivan, but I’d like to avoid an early midlife crises. Haha

Off Topic: I hate to invest in a balance job, but the people before me had the dealer to add weights on the outside of the wheel. Drives me insane anyone would do this in 2018, and I can’t imagine the damage on the wheel once the weight are removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Quote:
Luckily, I was able to do this from my phone instead of a desktop. I was getting a little worried their for a moment as I only use a desktop for work. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/JeepCommander_2016/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
Very good, thank you & welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
Check for codes for sure. I had the same issue with lights and the codes indicated a wheel speed sensor.

Last edited by Towmater; 06-05-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in