Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Finally saying hi!

Hey everyone,
Been a member on here for a number of years- just lurking, gathering info and so on.
I've owned 3 different XJs before wanting something more practical in terms of passenger and towing capacity and I never really liked how the Grands were more of a luxury SUV than a Jeep.
Sooo, even before I was really shopping for one, I ended up running across a 4x4 Limited model with every available option except Nav at a steal of a price and drove away in it a few hours later....

....that was a few years ago
She's still mostly stock now and we've had a few "bumps in the road" for issues and maintenance-y things, but don't all Jeeps?
Front diff mounts, water pump, mirror motor, clogged sunroof drains, and FDCM/transfer case recall nightmares to name a few.... all my solutions were found on here without me ever having to post!
Now I've got a new major problem and the few posts that are relevant never posted back with their solutions, or what worked for them hasn't for me....so, time to finally come out and start posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Hey everyone,
Been a member on here for a number of years- just lurking, gathering info and so on.
I've owned 3 different XJs before wanting something more practical in terms of passenger and towing capacity and I never really liked how the Grands were more of a luxury SUV than a Jeep.
Sooo, even before I was really shopping for one, I ended up running across a 4x4 Limited model with every available option except Nav at a steal of a price and drove away in it a few hours later....

....that was a few years ago
She's still mostly stock now and we've had a few "bumps in the road" for issues and maintenance-y things, but don't all Jeeps?
Front diff mounts, water pump, mirror motor, clogged sunroof drains, and FDCM/transfer case recall nightmares to name a few.... all my solutions were found on here without me ever having to post!
Now I've got a new major problem and the few posts that are relevant never posted back with their solutions, or what worked for them hasn't for me....so, time to finally come out and start posting!
@Wombler;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,107, Level: 40 Points: 4,107, Level: 40 Points: 4,107, Level: 40
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Garage
Question

So, I'm going to take the advice I saw in another new member post and just post my issue here....I don't want to make a bunch of quick BS posts elsewhere just to get my post count up...

I have a crank, no start problem. After being on the highway for about an hour with everything working fine, I stopped for gas not far from my house with 1/4 tank left. After pumping was done, Jeep no longer starts. So a well warmed engine, stopped for maybe 5 minutes. Turns over for forever and if I stomp the gas pedal it will eventually come to life (at like 3-4k RPM), but it's not firing on all cylinders or misfiring. I can keep it running this way if I hold the RPMs above 1.5k, but it will die if I let off. No codes being thrown via code reader or the "key dance". No unusual behavior with any of the indicator lights.

-Battery Voltage is 12.5ish, stays around 11v while cranking
-Fuel Pump primes/runs when ignition is turned on, I have tried turning ignition on for a few seconds, off, on again, off, then crank to make sure pressure is primed. No way to easily check pressure on the 5.7s

-Put in a new Oil Pressure Sensor a few months ago (it threw all the related codes)
-All fuses are good
-New Air filter

-Replaced the Crank Pos. Sensor yesterday and was able to get it to start fairly normally, but still ran really bad- not all cylinders, misfire, or whatever. Every time I started it, it got a little worse, harder to start to where eventually I was back to the original symptoms. This was after 4-5 start and runs. The 2nd start I did drive it a little bit around my cul-de-sac, but the misfire concerned me so I parked it again.
-After this, I unplugged the battery for a few hours to potentially clear anything in any of the computers, no changes. It's been sitting for 2 days now, so any heat or time related things would have sorted out.

Other notes- a few months ago, right after the Oil Sensor was replaced I was getting random P0158 codes that would come and go for about a week, O2 Circuit High Voltage, Bank 2 Sensor 2. I never did anything about it because the code went away on it's own and this was...2 months ago? Maybe more?
Over the past year I've had maybe 3 times where the Jeep took a little longer to start than normal, like the fuel pressure check valve hadn't done it's job and the pump was playing catch-up on pressure. But still fired up and ran fine.
I do have a remote starter installed, and have for years. I know it does interact with the CANBUS, I think even in-line with some of the wires, but I don't think this is the culprit since I can get the Jeep to kind-of start and I've installed hundreds of these remote starters and never had them cause issues this long after being installed (they would have screwed stuff up from the very beginning).

I have not pulled any spark plugs yet, probably will anyways after posting this, to check for spark and just see what one looks like. I don't feel like the condition of the plugs would have caused such an abrupt "failure", though.
EDIT: Pulled 2 plugs, they look fine and have spark the entire time the engine cranks.

Last edited by Wombler; 06-09-2018 at 12:36 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,107, Level: 40 Points: 4,107, Level: 40 Points: 4,107, Level: 40
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

I keep trying to add pictures in my garage, but the page just keeps saying it can't upload and to try a smaller size. The images are all .JPG and are all well under 16mb. Most are only 2-3mb.
Any ideas?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
I keep trying to add pictures in my garage, but the page just keeps saying it can't upload and to try a smaller size. The images are all .JPG and are all well under 16mb. Most are only 2-3mb.
Any ideas?
Try going by the Pixel count.

I'm fairly certain that 2-3 megabytes is way too large.

My Signature pic is 785 x 589 pixels.

The pics in my garage are only 600 x 337 pixels.

Last edited by Big Blue; 06-10-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in