Jeep girl thinking of buying a 2006 Limited 5.7 4x4 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 105,000
Jeep girl thinking of buying a 2006 Limited 5.7 4x4

Hi Everyone, I've been reading lots here and thought I would introduce myself. I have driven a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado 4.7, V8 (sorry I don't know the letter name!) since it was brand new with only 16 miles on it. She's been very good to me and only has 122k miles. I really don't want to give her up, but she was visually ruined in a Texas hail storm and my boys need more space. I have driven every new third row vehicle out there and I hate them all. What can I say, I'm a jeep girl! I have had a love affair with the Jeep Commander since it came out one year after I bought my Cherokee - practically drooling every time I saw one in person! I have been searching for just the right one and came upon a 2006 Limited, 5.7 4x4. 104k miles, but a brand new remanufactured AER engine. It's in very good condition other than a few issues with the rear moon roof shades and a small tear in the driver seat leather. It's one owner who has every single receipt for any and all work, including oil changes. Clean car fax. What are your thoughts on a remanufactured engine? I would be using this to take my kids to school and run errands. I live in the country and need great handling and reliability. I haven't bought a new car in over 14 years! I'm excited about the possibility of staying in the Jeep family and learning from yall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Own a Commander?: Yes
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I would take a remanned engine over any stock Hemi from that era. Given that it's an AER engine, it's also got a great warranty on it, and seeing how well maintained the car appears to be otherwise I think it'd be a great choice.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 111000
Welcome aboard. If it comes with a warranty and receipts then I would go for it if the price is right. Sorry about your WJ.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks y’all! I’ll post a pic and give updates if I do decide to go with it. And thanks for the sympathy in saying goodby to my old girl. She still drives great. I feel like she apart of me after 14 years. It’ll be hard to say goodbye.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgreetings View Post
Hi Everyone, I've been reading lots here and thought I would introduce myself. I have driven a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado 4.7, V8 (sorry I don't know the letter name!) since it was brand new with only 16 miles on it. She's been very good to me and only has 122k miles. I really don't want to give her up, but she was visually ruined in a Texas hail storm and my boys need more space. I have driven every new third row vehicle out there and I hate them all. What can I say, I'm a jeep girl! I have had a love affair with the Jeep Commander since it came out one year after I bought my Cherokee - practically drooling every time I saw one in person! I have been searching for just the right one and came upon a 2006 Limited, 5.7 4x4. 104k miles, but a brand new remanufactured AER engine. It's in very good condition other than a few issues with the rear moon roof shades and a small tear in the driver seat leather. It's one owner who has every single receipt for any and all work, including oil changes. Clean car fax. What are your thoughts on a remanufactured engine? I would be using this to take my kids to school and run errands. I live in the country and need great handling and reliability. I haven't bought a new car in over 14 years! I'm excited about the possibility of staying in the Jeep family and learning from yall!
@joyfulgreetings;

Welcome to the forum;

What you've described sounds like a good deal to me, you are probably in much better shape with the brand new remanufactured AER engine than the original engine; that being said, I would recommend you get the VIN number from the seller and follow the instructions below:

To Anybody who is Looking to buy a Commander;

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed for the Commander you're looking at (or for the Commander you have already bought) by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in the VIN; If you are still looking and have not bought your Commander yet, I strongly recommend you do this BEFORE you buy it;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

Alternate Link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Additionally if you buy a Commander, and it didn't come with an owner's manual, you can download and print a factory owner's manual from this website; here is the link - and again, this is from the same website I listed above, just navigate to the point where you select "year" and "model" of the vehicle you want the owner's manual for:

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-09-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Wow, thanks, Big Blue! I will do that right away.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Wow, thanks, Big Blue! I will do that right away.
No problem at all; the more information you have in hand prior to the purchase the better, as it will help you make a more informed decision.

If you happen to find out that there are any recalls or campaigns that have not been completed, you can use that as a bargaining chip to try & get them to come down on the asking price.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-09-2018 at 03:42 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Hi Big Blue, there is a recall. Are you saying Jeep won’t fix that free of charge? Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Hi Big Blue, there is a recall. Are you saying Jeep won’t fix that free of charge? Thanks for your help!
That's not what I'm saying at all ma'am.

Jeep will absolutely fix it free of charge - but it is still an unresolved safety issue at this moment and you should be able to use that to your advantage when settling on a sale price.

Just out of curiosity, which recall is showing as not completed?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
That's not what I'm saying at all ma'am.

Jeep will absolutely fix it free of charge - but it is still an unresolved safety issue at this moment and you should be able to use that to your advantage when settling on a sale price.

Just out of curiosity, which recall is showing as not completed?

Big Blue, Sorry, I missed your reply and am just now seeing it. It was the ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in