Hi, quick question from a new owner - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 139000
Hi, quick question from a new owner

Hello, hopefully I have my profile set up right now...Just recently bought a 07 Jeep Commander, however it doesn't appear the back up camera is trying to turn on. In the manual it says to go to system settings menu. I have no idea where that is at, it says refer to the Navigation Manual, however accessing the navigation menus appear to require a disc that I do not have. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,395, Level: 94 Points: 23,395, Level: 94 Points: 23,395, Level: 94
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson350 View Post
Hello, hopefully I have my profile set up right now...Just recently bought a 07 Jeep Commander, however it doesn't appear the back up camera is trying to turn on. In the manual it says to go to system settings menu. I have no idea where that is at, it says refer to the Navigation Manual, however accessing the navigation menus appear to require a disc that I do not have. What am I missing?
Your profile is good to go now @Dyson350; thank you.

I don't have the factory NAV Radio so, if I ask some questions that may sound silly to you, please forgive me.

You don't have a touch screen menu with a settings tab when you touch your radio display? I know there is an update disk for the Factory Navigation system, but I was not aware that you needed a disk just to access the system settings - that sounds kind of off to me.

In any event I highly doubt that is the problem with your back-up camera; I had a similar issue with my XK when I bought it but my problem was intermittent; the back-up camera displayed good video when I first bought it and then basically went black shortly thereafter - but the display for the radio itself still worked fine for any radio & CD player related functions;

It (The back-up camera) would start working again every so often - but for very brief periods. I tried replacing the back-up camera first as that was the cheaper of the 2 solutions; but ALAS, that didn't solve the issue; next step was replacing the head unit; $1030.00 later (the cost of the reconditioned factory head unit & labor to have it installed) the problem was fixed. I have went to an aftermarket head unit since then, for much improved reliability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-20-2018 at 10:13 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Your profile is good to go now; thank you.

I don't have the factory NAV Radio so, if I ask some questions that may sound silly to you, please forgive me.

You don't have a touch screen menu with a settings tab when you touch your radio display? I know there is an update disk for the Factory Navigation system, but I was not aware that you needed a disk just to access the system settings - that sounds kind of off to me.

In any event I highly doubt that is the problem with your back-up camera; I had a similar issue with my XK when I bought it but my problem was intermittent; it worked when I first bought it and then basically when black shortly thereafter; It would start working again every so often - but for very brief periods. I tried replacing the back-up camera first as that was the cheaper of the 2 solutions; but ALAS, that didn't solve the issue; next step was replacing the head unit; $1020.00 later (the cost of the head unit & labor to have it installed) the problem was fixed.
Nope, no touch screen. And I am not seeing any buttons to get to any kind of system settings menu. Owners manual says to use the Navigation Manual but even in it I don't see anything. The Jeep doesn't give any indication that it is trying to use the rear camera which is why I thought it may be turned off for some reason.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Nope, no touch screen. And I am not seeing any buttons to get to any kind of system settings menu. Owners manual says to use the Navigation Manual but even in it I don't see anything. The Jeep doesn't give any indication that it is trying to use the rear camera which is why I thought it may be turned off for some reason.
I mean I guess it's possible - but I would think it's pretty unlikely that the camera display has been turned off.

Like I said, I know they do have a Navigation update disk for the Factory NAV Radios but they are $150.00; I'll post a link for it here in a minute in case you decide you want to order one.

EDIT: Here is the link for the 06/07 Commander NAV System update disk;

https://chryslergroup.navigation.com...ChryslerNA/USD

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Points: 7,157, Level: 56 Points: 7,157, Level: 56 Points: 7,157, Level: 56
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Model year: 2009
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 230,000
Some Commanders with the non-NAV system have the backup camera go to the rear view mirror.

Can you post pics of your Head Unit and rear mirror?

The 2007 RER system isn't a touch screen. You can buy nav dvds online for like $10 if you want. There's a plastic piece that you remove with a paper clip and that's where it goes.

Personally, I'd replace it. It doesn't have any good Bluetooth functionality. Time to upgrade to a system that is 12 years newer
Big Blue likes this.

2006 Magnum R/T AWD - Brilliant Black
Mods:
SC 91 tune, Bassani CB, Mesh Grille

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 10-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Do you have your factory build sheet?

If so, does it say that your Commander comes with the factory navigation system?

If you don't have your factory build sheet - you can get it fairly quickly by following the instructions below:

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

Alternate Link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

Last edited by Big Blue; 10-20-2018 at 10:31 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Some Commanders with the non-NAV system have the backup camera go to the rear view mirror.

Can you post pics of your Head Unit and rear mirror?

The 2007 RER system isn't a touch screen. You can buy nav dvds online for like $10 if you want. There's a plastic piece that you remove with a paper clip and that's where it goes.

Personally, I'd replace it. It doesn't have any good Bluetooth functionality. Time to upgrade to a system that is 12 years newer

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_113838_1540050100670.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	33139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_113830_1540050128114.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	33141  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Here are the pics.
Still waiting for your answers to my previous questions....

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Do you have your factory build sheet?

If so, does it say that your Commander comes with the factory navigation system?

If you don't have your factory build sheet - you can get it fairly quickly by following the instructions below:

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.
If I am understanding the question right, yes it does come with the Nav system..but missing the disc. I checked to see if a camera was in the back and there is as well.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Model year: 2006
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
I imagine you should still be able to enter the REC hidden menu without a navigation DVD. Press the NAV button then hold down the 2 and 6 buttons until you enter the hidden menu.

From there, you should be able to see different vehicle features, including radio connections, car input signals, etc. I'm not sure if the camera will show up in the system links menu, but that's a good thing to check. Also check that you've got a good reverse feed to the radio from the hidden menu; if the system never sees a reverse signal, it won't switch over to the camera view.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in