Glad to be apart of the Commander community! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
CaliforniaCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Beach, CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,250
Posts: 10
Garage
Lightbulb Glad to be apart of the Commander community!

Hello to all the commander owners!

Glad to finally be apart of the community! still building my profile so I can not currently start a lift/suspension thread. However the site did direct me to create this new member thread as part of my profile building step. I Just purchased my second jeep 2 months ago, the Commander! My first jeep was a 2004 wk, 4.0 - 4x2, that I owned for 9 years before selling it last week It was my first car out of high school and an extremely reliable jeep, never once left me stranded with a problem I couldn't resolve on the spot. But after looking at used commanders around me, I finally found a 06 Hemi limited with QD2, single owner / single dealership carfax maintenance reports @132,000miles, it was a little higher than I wanted in a used vehicle purchase but I just could not let the hemi/QD2 package get away from me!

Can't wait to start building this rig! I just purchased a 4" superlift kit last week (still waiting for it to arrive). I have been researching a modified superlift thread and am currently on the fence about purchasing OME springs / struts & JBA uppers for the front with a 2" spacer and bilstein5100 for the rear, this is total should net me 6" of lift all together and am hoping to run 35's with the pinch weld fender mod aswell. If you're interested in this set up, I got the idea from a "modified superlift" thread that you can look up. I have not purchased the OME kit yet & am hoping the community will help chime in on what I should do!




Hopefully I can start a lift thread here in the coming days, Would love to get feedback on the transformation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_134910(1) (1).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	534.6 KB
ID:	33673  

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.
CaliforniaCommander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:01 AM
Member
Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14 Points: 796, Level: 14
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
 
Up4XK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Springfield, OR
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 85,000
Posts: 82
Garage
I have the 4" superlift, and thought about going up more. But after doing digging here, putting 35's even with 6" of lift seemed like a lot more modding to get 1" - 1.5" bigger tires. I'm running 275/70/18, new they are a bit over 33.5". I see that you have a limited, I think you would need to do a rear AC/heat delete and if I remember right far more then just a pinch weld mod. Something like cutting out or bashing in that entire area. There is a couple of threads in here where people have done that. It does make a great looking rig.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...tml#post441849

2010 Hemi Commander
Quadra Drive II
4" Superlift
275/70 R18 TOYO R/T
Up4XK is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
CaliforniaCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Beach, CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,250
Posts: 10
Garage
Cool

Up4XK,

Im not sure if Core has the superlift on his xk, just a modified OME HD lift, which is why I think he had to do so much trimming. I haven't read into a ac/heat delete mod for limited's, will be looking into that now! if I do have to go that route, it will probably be the straw that breaks the camels back & I'll be content with JUST a superlift, I enjoy cold a/c in the summertime here in SoCal lol. But according the superlift website, the kit will clear 34" tires (depending on tread) as is. check out "the modified Superlift thread" on jeepforum
CaliforniaCommander is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,075
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCommander View Post
Hello to all the commander owners!

Glad to finally be apart of the community! still building my profile so I can not currently start a lift/suspension thread. However the site did direct me to create this new member thread as part of my profile building step. I Just purchased my second jeep 2 months ago, the Commander! My first jeep was a 2004 wk, 4.0 - 4x2, that I owned for 9 years before selling it last week It was my first car out of high school and an extremely reliable jeep, never once left me stranded with a problem I couldn't resolve on the spot. But after looking at used commanders around me, I finally found a 06 Hemi limited with QD2, single owner / single dealership carfax maintenance reports @132,000miles, it was a little higher than I wanted in a used vehicle purchase but I just could not let the hemi/QD2 package get away from me!

Can't wait to start building this rig! I just purchased a 4" superlift kit last week (still waiting for it to arrive). I have been researching a modified superlift thread and am currently on the fence about purchasing OME springs / struts & JBA uppers for the front with a 2" spacer and bilstein5100 for the rear, this is total should net me 6" of lift all together and am hoping to run 35's with the pinch weld fender mod aswell. If you're interested in this set up, I got the idea from a "modified superlift" thread that you can look up. I have not purchased the OME kit yet & am hoping the community will help chime in on what I should do!

Hopefully I can start a lift thread here in the coming days, Would love to get feedback on the transformation
Welcome to the forum @CaliforniaCommander;

I have the 4 inch Superlift as well;

One thing you need to bare in mind if you move up to the proper tire size 285/70/17's (33's) which is what superlift recommends, you would be picking up 2 inches in lift just by going up to that size tire - if you're running stock tires currently - which it looks like you are - so, you will have a 6 inch lift with the 4 inch Superlift running 285/70/17's.

I have the pinch-weld mod and had some strategic cutting done inside the front wheel wells and the factory door sills/rock sliders, along with JBA upper control arms for lifted XK's, Bilstein B6 4600's and Moog lower control arms and I'm just clearing LT285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and they are pretty beefy tires.

The good news is, since I had the work done properly, at a 4 x 4 shop that knew what they were doing, I didn't have to cut my fenders - or remove the rear HVAC lines, all of that is still in tact.

I will tell you upfront (and I feel that this is something that is often overlooked and doesn't get talked about enough) the handling with the Superlift is nothing like the handling you have with a spacer lift;

Everything is much more exaggerated and you have to drive much more carefully - and be very diligent with your braking and turning.

I couldn't imagine what an XK would handle like with the 4 inch Superlift, 2 inch spacers and 35 inch tires; Lets just say, I would not want to be the guy driving that rig.

But hey, if that's your goal, have fun with it. I'll be looking forward to reading about your build and hopefully seeing lots of pics.

And FYI, as far as I know, Core is not running a Superlift; He is running a modified OME lift, with front & rear spacers, the last that I heard;

That means he does not have the EGR (Electronic Geometry Recalibration) module that comes with the 4 inch Superlift, which is a very important component; It compensates for the drastic changes in the XK's drive-line angles and steering/handling geometry which in turn keeps the traction control & electronic stability control fully functional.

Without that EGR module, you would almost certainly have to disable the traction control/electronic stability control module, or at the very least, turn it off because it will definitely not function properly with the increased ride height & drastically altered steering/suspension geometry that a 4 to 6 inch lift would create.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
CaliforniaCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Beach, CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,250
Posts: 10
Garage
Thanks for the quick responses

Big Blue - Appreciate the handling review from someone who has first hand experience with a superlift xk. It is definitely something I'm worried about. Those are the exact tires I wanted to run if I stick with the 4", Do you have any rubbing issues turning or at full flex? I'm still on the fence about the upgrade, but I do need to replace the front struts/springs along with the superlift still, was thinking either the 4600 or bilstein adjustables & new springs with the JBA uppers like you have. the price between the two is so close that I figured why not just get OME front struts/springs to get the extra height :shrug:

P.S I do plan on adding WAM front wincher and rear steel bumper / tire carrier. Am keeping that in mind for reasoning to get to 6" lol but overall If I am sacrificing saftey & ride quality I will ultimately not go up and higher than the superlift.

Last edited by CaliforniaCommander; 02-21-2019 at 07:54 AM.
CaliforniaCommander is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Member
Points: 692, Level: 13 Points: 692, Level: 13 Points: 692, Level: 13
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Arapahoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: FL Gulf Coast
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 132,000
Posts: 49
Looks like a nice clean XK. You're going to have fun modding that rig for sure!!
Arapahoe is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,075
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCommander View Post
Thanks for the quick responses

Big Blue - Appreciate the handling review from someone who has first hand experience with a superlift xk. It is definitely something I'm worried about. Those are the exact tires I wanted to run if I stick with the 4", Do you have any rubbing issues turning or at full flex? I'm still on the fence about the upgrade, but I do need to replace the front struts/springs along with the superlift still, was thinking either the 4600 or bilstein adjustables & new springs with the JBA uppers like you have. the price between the two is so close that I figured why not just get OME front struts/springs to get the extra height :shrug:

P.S I do plan on adding WAM front wincher and rear steel bumper / tire carrier. Am keeping that in mind for reasoning to get to 6" lol but overall If I am sacrificing saftey & ride quality I will ultimately not go up and higher than the superlift.
I have no rubbing whatsoever with my current set-up; even at full turn/flex, I'm clearing with no issues.

I also have the WAM hidden winch mount front bumper with the SmittyBilt 9500 XRC winch & synthetic s/b98495 line; I kicked around getting the WAM rear bumper with the tire carrier, but, I opted not to - mainly because I'm to the point where I don't want to add any more weight to Big Blue, unless I absolutely have to.

You can see some pics of my current set-up here;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...perlift-5.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3 Points: 198, Level: 3
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
CaliforniaCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Beach, CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 133,250
Posts: 10
Garage
Big Blue, your commander is perfect with the duratracs and superlift! Im definitely leaning towards just sticking with the superlift for now. I'd rather not cause a headache and financial burden, trying to fix problems caused from modifying it and not being able to use the EGR module & just accept it for the mean looking beast it will still be with the 4" and duratracs
CaliforniaCommander is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,075
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCommander View Post
Big Blue, your commander is perfect with the duratracs and superlift! Im definitely leaning towards just sticking with the superlift for now. I'd rather not cause a headache and financial burden, trying to fix problems caused from modifying it and not being able to use the EGR module & just accept it for the mean looking beast it will still be with the 4" and duratracs
Thanks for the kind words;

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go this route and like I said, with the increased tire diameter of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT285/70/17's it really is a 6 inch lift anyway.

To give you a little more perspective, this is me parked next to a new Toyota 4-Runner;




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 02-21-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Tags
bilstein , lift kit , new member , old man emu , superlift

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have pics of how to take key fob apart? FletchXK Electronics / NAV Discussion 7 02-20-2015 02:01 PM
camping with members in Jeep community segona Picture / Media Post 6 06-08-2010 08:10 AM
How to take dash board apart? krcwell Electronics / NAV Discussion 2 05-09-2010 03:56 PM
Glad to join the Commander Forum! DarkRainZZ General Commander Discussion 12 08-25-2008 11:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome