How do I know if our is 1 or 2 speed diff - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 157000
How do I know if our is 1 or 2 speed diff

We are trying to get the fluids ready to change our diff. And it says there is two speeds. We have googled it and can't find out which one we a are. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95 Points: 24,609, Level: 95
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hantigkat View Post
We are trying to get the fluids ready to change our diff. And it says there is two speeds. We have googled it and can't find out which one we a are. Help!
@hantigkat;

Welcome to the forum; Situations like these are a prime example of why I am so adamant about new members filling out their profiles properly;

Based on your profile, you have the 3.7L V-6 with QT-I 4WD system, which has the SINGLE speed NV140 transfer case.

As far as I know, there are no differentials that come in one or 2 speed - there are only transfer cases that come in one or 2 speed.

Are you trying to change your transfer case fluid or your differential fluid?

Also, just to be clear, you have 2 differentials front & rear, but only one transfer case.

Your build sheet would also give you this information which you can get here by clicking the link below and plugging in your VIN #

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

I'd also suggest you make sure you get the proper fluid from FCA/Jeep for whichever job it is you're trying to do - getting the wrong fluid - or even an off-brand fluid that does not meet the FCA/Jeep brand specifications will most almost certainly cause you problems.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-31-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 AM
GTF
Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
@hantigkat;

Welcome to the forum; Situations like these are a prime example of why I am so adamant about new members filling out their profiles properly;

Based on your profile, you have the 3.7L V-6 with QT-I 4WD system, which has the SINGLE speed NV140 transfer case.

As far as I know, there are no differentials that come in one or 2 speed - there are only transfer cases that come in one or 2 speed.

Are you trying to change your transfer case fluid or your differential fluid?

Also, just to be clear, you have 2 differentials front & rear, but only one transfer case.

Your build sheet would also give you this information which you can get here by clicking the link below and plugging in your VIN #

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

I'd also suggest you make sure you get the proper fluid from FCA/Jeep for whichever job it is you're trying to do - getting the wrong fluid - or even an off-brand fluid that does not meet the FCA/Jeep brand specifications will most almost certainly cause you problems.

Hope this helps.
What he said.

But if you are talking about differentials, there are two flavors. The electronic limited slip differentials, found with the Quadra Drive II, and the standard open differentials. The only difference in terms of fluid is that the ELSD differentials found with the QD II require an additive be added to the gear oil. Since you have the 3.7L engine, I think it is pretty much certain that you have the standard differentials which just take the standard fluid without additives. As far as I know Quadra Drive II was never an option with the 3.7L Engine.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
What he said.

But if you are talking about differentials, there are two flavors. The electronic limited slip differentials, found with the Quadra Drive II, and the standard open differentials. The only difference in terms of fluid is that the ELSD differentials found with the QD II require an additive be added to the gear oil. Since you have the 3.7L engine, I think it is pretty much certain that you have the standard differentials which just take the standard fluid without additives. As far as I know Quadra Drive II was never an option with the 3.7L Engine.
Good point a @GTF;

I didn't even think to mention the ELSD's because I knew that @hantigkat didn't have the QD-II 4WD system which is the only Jeep 4WD system that came with ELSDs.

That being said, I still wouldn't refer to the Electronic Limited Slip differential, as a 2 speed differential, because that's just not an accurate description.
GTF likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-01-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:50 PM
Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 90,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Good point a @GTF;

I didn't even think to mention the ELSD's because I knew that @hantigkat didn't have the QD-II 4WD system which is the only Jeep 4WD system that came with ELSDs.

That being said, I still wouldn't refer to the Electronic Limited Slip differential, as a 2 speed differential, because that's just not an accurate description.
To put another couple of cents in. All wheel drive rigs (like the Commander) do have a differential transfer case. Yes , I know that does nothing to add clarity. I have seen transfer cases referred to as "center" diffs, largely by the Land Rover crowd.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4XK View Post
To put another couple of cents in. All wheel drive rigs (like the Commander) do have a differential transfer case. Yes , I know that does nothing to add clarity. I have seen transfer cases referred to as "center" diffs, largely by the Land Rover crowd.
To my knowledge there is only one transfer case on all Commander models; That's either the NV140 single speed transfer case for QT-I or the NV245 2 speed transfer case for QT-II and QD-II.

You show me a factory build sheet for any Commander that lists a "differential transfer case" or a "center differential" and we can discuss this further; But I'll tell you here & now, you will NEVER find one.

Anything short of showing it to me in black & white, on a Jeep Commander factory build sheet and your point is mute.

Seems to me that if there was this differential transfer case, or, center differential as you call it - it would be something that would need to be serviced; I've had every single service & maintenance item that FCA/Jeep has on the Commander's maintenance schedule performed and I've never heard any mention of a center differential or differential transfer case - not once.

We are talking about Commanders not Land Rovers, 2 completely different animals.

I was trying to give the OP a little clarity here and you've contributed nothing but mud to the situation which was completely unnecessary.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-03-2019 at 08:18 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 90,000
Garage
@BigBlue , my apologies, I was not clear. I am not saying that there was any other Xfer case in the commander than what you listed. Just that it is not incorrect to refer to our Xfer cases as a differentials. Here is a clip form Wiki, Quadra-Trac II section, Third paragraph.
"In 2005 Jeep replaced the New Venture Gear NV247 transfer case with the NV245 transfer case. This transfer case actually has a center differential, allowing both the front and rear axles to have power supplied to them without driveline binding, even on dry pavement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_f...-drive_systems
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4XK View Post
@BigBlue, my apologies, I was not clear. I am not saying that there was any other Xfer case in the commander than what you listed. Just that it is not incorrect to refer to our Xfer cases as a differentials. Here is a clip form Wiki, Quadra-Trac II section, Third paragraph.
"In 2005 Jeep replaced the New Venture Gear NV247 transfer case with the NV245 transfer case. This transfer case actually has a center differential, allowing both the front and rear axles to have power supplied to them without driveline binding, even on dry pavement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_f...-drive_systems
@Up4XK;

I'm sorry; Please show me in any post in this thread, where I referred to the transfer case as a differential.

And whatever the center differential is - it's obviously not something that's serviceable and it's not listed on any Commander factory build sheet like the front & rear differentials are;

So, I don't understand what the point of even bringing it up was - other than to add confusion to the subject.

It's not relevant to what the OP was asking.

Last edited by Big Blue; 04-03-2019 at 06:13 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Points: 3,410, Level: 36 Points: 3,410, Level: 36 Points: 3,410, Level: 36
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 130k
wow, i learned something
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - 4x4 systems
front and rear diffs allow left and right wheels to spin at different speeds
center diff (which the nv245 has) allows front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds
Up4XK likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54 Points: 6,842, Level: 54
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
As a bit of clarification, it's not incorrect to refer to the transfer case in our Jeeps as a center differential, which is what I assume OP was doing. Jeep refers to it almost exclusively as a transfer case, but in reality it mixes a transfer case and center differential.

In the past, transfer cases were a very basic system. Gears would either lock together or unlock to provide either 2WD or 4WD, and to switch between high and low range. These gears were not designed to slip, so shifting into 4WD would lock both axles together. This model is still fairly common in trucks, though with a bit more complexity.

Center differentials, on the other hand, are targeted more at AWD setups, with the center differential acting much the same as an axle differential; depending on conditions, the differential could send power to either the front or rear end. This system allows for more complex power distribution than a basic transfer case, since the center differential can lock and unlock as needed. Typically, center differentials offer worse off road performance but better fuel economy than a transfer case.

Our Jeeps have a mix between the two; we have a transfer case that can shift between high and low range gearing, and a center differential that locks and unlocks the front and rear axles. This means we have a fairly complex AWD system in 4 high, with the center differential delivering power to whichever axle can apply it, and with QTII/QDII systems, a fully locked 4 low just like a basic transfer case would provide.
Big Blue and GTF like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in