New member - advice on engine issue - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

2Likes
  • 2 Post By consumedbywater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 75000
New member - advice on engine issue

Hi Everyone

My name is Jacques and I am from Cape Town in South Africa

I recently bought my very first jeep - it is a 2007 Jeep Commander Ltd, 5.7l Hemi. It currently has 75,000 miles on the clock.

The vehicle looked to be in great condition inside and out, so I was thinking that it was a good buy. I drove for about 500miles and booked her in for a major service - ALL oils, spark plugs etc but after driving her for approx 500miles after the service, I noticed that:
1. When I accelerate quickly from a stop or when the car gears down from a higher speed, it would blow out a big "bubble" of smoke.
2. I also noticed a marked decrease in power.
3. The engine light came on, as well as the PERFORM SERVICE error message.

I took her back to the shop where I did the service and was informed that we would need to open her up and see what it is - I know that this can be expensive on a Hemi, so was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Jacques;

I don't have a Hemi, so, I don't know that I'd really be any help;

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum; We have a couple of other members from South Africa here;

Post some pics of your commander when you can and again, welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Points: 4,121, Level: 40 Points: 4,121, Level: 40 Points: 4,121, Level: 40
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoubserJJ View Post
Hi Everyone

My name is Jacques and I am from Cape Town in South Africa

I recently bought my very first jeep - it is a 2007 Jeep Commander Ltd, 5.7l Hemi. It currently has 75,000 miles on the clock.

The vehicle looked to be in great condition inside and out, so I was thinking that it was a good buy. I drove for about 500miles and booked her in for a major service - ALL oils, spark plugs etc but after driving her for approx 500miles after the service, I noticed that:
1. When I accelerate quickly from a stop or when the car gears down from a higher speed, it would blow out a big "bubble" of smoke.
2. I also noticed a marked decrease in power.
3. The engine light came on, as well as the PERFORM SERVICE error message.

I took her back to the shop where I did the service and was informed that we would need to open her up and see what it is - I know that this can be expensive on a Hemi, so was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem....
Welcome!
My first thoughts will be wrong spark plugs (the Hemi's only like Champion plugs) and possibly wrong oil viscosity; Hemi's have to have 5w20, but can run 5w10. Anything thicker and it'll probably throw codes for your MDS not being able to work, but that won't have any affect on power decrease or performance. Neither of these things will cause smoke, though...is the smoke white or blueish?
Perform Service message is just a mileage timer that the shop didn't reset, basically just used to keep track of oil changes. You can reset this by going through the "STEP" menu until you get to Service Interval and then just hit "RESET".

The best way we can really help is if you pull the codes that have caused the engine light to come on. There is a key-dance procedure you can do to get the codes to come up in the dash, if you don't have a tuner/reader or a shop that'll do it for free: Turn the key from fully OFF to ON (not Start) 3 times, on the third time leave the key on and the dash will say DTC REPORT, then slowly list codes one at a time. The timing for turning the key is kinda picky, can't be too slow or too fast. Usually takes me about 10 attempts before I can finally get the timing right. Here's a video of how:

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Still ironing out the tune, need to get it on a dyno....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Welcome!
My first thoughts will be wrong spark plugs (the Hemi's only like Champion plugs) and possibly wrong oil viscosity; Hemi's have to have 5w20, but can run 5w10.
Adding onto this, some Hemis can run well with other spark plugs, so the wrong type of spark plug isn't a smoking gun; mine has had no problems with Champion Iridiums. Hemis also can throw codes just from the wrong type of oil, so I wouldn't recommend 5w10. Mine occasionally threw a code for wrong oil viscosity even when my 5w20 was starting to get a little too dirty.

The color of the smoke is a good indicator of where you should be looking. White smoke indicates that you're burning coolant, blue smoke indicates you're burning oil, and black smoke indicates you're burning too much gasoline.
Wombler and Big Blue like this.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in