Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Unhappy Overheating Problem

Hi everyone! Trying to find as much help possible online to help me with a problem im having. Today my jeep completely overheated every time i drove it, it would get all the way to hot. When i idle and stop i hear a fan in the engine turn on and get real loud and thats when the gauge starts to get real high, then i start driving and it goes back down to middle. I try turning the heat on to take some heat off the engine it doesnt help at all. Last year i flushed the coolant, and about a week ago i filled the resevoir tank with coolant because it was completely empty and topped off the actual radiator with coolant because it was a little low, and i made sure to push the car to get most bubbles out. Today after going home with the gauge all the way on high it must have bubbled over and exploded out because i opened the hood and there was coolant sprayed everywhere all over the engine. What caused this??? Its also super hot out so that dosent help! any ideas please ! its a 2006 commander v8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi everyone! Trying to find as much help possible online to help me with a problem im having. Today my jeep completely overheated every time i drove it, it would get all the way to hot. When i idle and stop i hear a fan in the engine turn on and get real loud and thats when the gauge starts to get real high, then i start driving and it goes back down to middle. I try turning the heat on to take some heat off the engine it doesnt help at all. Last year i flushed the coolant, and about a week ago i filled the resevoir tank with coolant because it was completely empty and topped off the actual radiator with coolant because it was a little low, and i made sure to push the car to get most bubbles out. Today after going home with the gauge all the way on high it must have bubbled over and exploded out because i opened the hood and there was coolant sprayed everywhere all over the engine. What caused this??? Its also super hot out so that dosent help! any ideas please ! its a 2006 commander v8
@[email protected] ;

Welcome to the forum; First & foremost, you shouldn't have been driving your Commander when you knew it was overheating. As you found out, bad things will inevitably happen;

Based on what you described, it sounds like you might have a bad/malfunctioning fan for starters; the reason your engine would cool when you started driving was increased airflow over the engine block while your Commander was moving - but again, driving a vehicle with an overheating engine is always a bad idea. Whenever you take it to a shop - or if you're doing it yourself, I'd check the fan and the water pump.

Now that you overheated your engine to the point where you coolant all over the engine compartment, you've most likely created more problems than you had; I'd definitely check out your radiator (there's a pretty good chance that you cracked it) and all of the hoses & fittings going to & from the radiator including the radiator cap.

You can only hope that you didn't crack your engine block - which is something else you'll need to look at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-06-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 120,000
Send a message via AIM to LooseCannon Send a message via MSN to LooseCannon Send a message via Yahoo to LooseCannon
Sounds like a sticking thermostat to me..... he stated his fan was
Quote:
i hear a fan in the engine turn on and get real loud

And I dont think the coolant pump would be intermittent.
Big Blue likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:00 AM
GTF
Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
Sounds like a sticking thermostat to me..... he stated his fan was

And I dont think the coolant pump would be intermittent.
What he said ^^^^^ Thermostat.

When they fail, they often stick in the closed position and don't allow coolant to circulate properly through the engine. The fan can run all day long, but if that hot coolant in the engine can't get through to the radiator to transfer the heat, it does no good!

A small amount of coolant would still be able to pass through the system, which is why it would still cool somewhat while driving with the increased RPM of the engine and consequently the water pump. Airflow over the engine block in a water cooled V8 engine such as the 4.7 isn't going to do much of anything to cool your engine!

Last edited by GTF; 07-07-2019 at 02:05 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91 Points: 20,960, Level: 91
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
What he said ^^^^^ Thermostat.

When they fail, they often stick in the closed position and don't allow coolant to circulate properly through the engine. The fan can run all day long, but if that hot coolant in the engine can't get through to the radiator to transfer the heat, it does no good!

A small amount of coolant would still be able to pass through the system, which is why it would still cool somewhat while driving with the increased RPM of the engine and consequently the water pump. Airflow over the engine block in a water cooled V8 engine such as the 4.7 isn't going to do much of anything to cool your engine!
You're entitled to your opinion;

The thermostat was a good call that @LooseCannon made, that's one key component I overlooked.

In my opinion, airflow over any engine - water cooled or otherwise, will always have some cooling effect, particularly at higher highway speeds.

But again, I wouldn't drive an XK with an over-heating engine; It would have been best to park it and have it towed or flat-bedded.

The fact that the OP drove it as much as he did, after he already knew his engine was over-heating, only compounded his problems.
LooseCannon likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 PM
GTF
Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21 Points: 1,440, Level: 21
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
You're entitled to your opinion;

The thermostat was a good call that @LooseCannon made, that's one key component I overlooked.

In my opinion, airflow over any engine - water cooled or otherwise, will always have some cooling effect, particularly at higher highway speeds.

But again, I wouldn't drive an XK with an over-heating engine; It would have been best to park it and have it towed or flat-bedded.

The fact that the OP drove it as much as he did, after he already knew his engine was over-heating, only compounded his problems.
Sure airflow will cool an engine, however liquid cooled automotive engines aren't designed to take advantage of that and it just isn't very effective on our engines which have a relatively high ratio of power to cubic inch. If you look at an engine that is designed with that in mind, such as small outdoor power equipment engines or even aircraft engines, there are fins all over the cylinder heads and even the block which are designed to dissipate heat. Baffles and cowlings are usually installed and designed in such a way to direct cool air over these fins to remove and carry away the heat. Air cooled engines also typically make wide use of aluminum which transfers heat more quickly than the cast iron block in our engines.

Air cooling has fallen out of favor due to the much higher power to size ratios of modern engines. Air cooling, even when the engine is designed for it, just isn't effective enough to cool a modern, high output automotive engine. If it was, manufacturers would certainly be quick to jump on the benefits of air cooling such as reduced weight, cost, and simplicity of design.

There is simply no way that airflow alone is going to bring a hot 4.7L engine back into the normal operating range without the assistance of the water cooling system. The liquid cooling systems are usually designed in such a way that even if the thermostat is completely closed or blocked, a small amount of coolant can still pass though, which would explain why the temperature came back down at higher RPM. Airflow still cools the engine, it just does it by removing heat from whatever coolant is still circulating in the engine.

The temperature gauge measures the temperature of the coolant, not the engine, so there was obviously something still circulating in there.
Big Blue likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Points: 4,853, Level: 44 Points: 4,853, Level: 44 Points: 4,853, Level: 44
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 253,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Matt, if you're still around.
And you want as much help as possible. Let's start from the beginning.
After the engine cools. Pull out your dipstick and check your oil.If it looks like chocolate milk you're done.
If it doesn't. Then you might be okay.
Second is to wash off all the antifreeze under the hood. Wash it all off with clean water.
Then you're going to remove the bleed screw on the upper radiator hose on top of the motor.
If you didn't do this the last time you changed out your antifreeze. You may have created your own problems. That is a step that cannot be skipped over.
You can't just push the motor to burp out the system. Like you stated earlier.
Once that bleed screw is removed. Then refill everything until antifreeze comes out of that bleed screw hole. Refill your reservoir and refill the radiator. Put the cap back on the radiator when antifreeze comes out of the bleed screw hole.
Reinstall the screw. And then once all that water is dried up from washing everything. Now fire engine back up and wait and see what happens. Start looking for leaks and cracks. once you know for a fact there's no air in that system. And it still has overheating problems. Then you know you've got some things you can start checking one by one.
If you know that your oil is still good. And I was in your shoes. I would get a new thermostat and housing and install it. Before you do everything else, I just mentioned. That way, at least that part is covered. And it's cheap to do. Make sure you don't put that thermostat in backwards. If you can't find any leaks when pressure builds up. You might be losing your antifreeze through your heater core on your dash. It can be a slow leak.Some folks just can't smell antifreeze when it comes out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text
GTF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Tags
coolant , overheating , temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in