Jeep Commander Limited 2006 - Page 2 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Points: 4,372, Level: 42 Points: 4,372, Level: 42 Points: 4,372, Level: 42
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolfb14 View Post
Too hot today, will try to get the lights in tomorrow or if the sun gives me reprieve later this evening. In the interim the bracket for the antenna mount was cracked and broken off which let the mount and antenna drop into the passenger side wheel cavity. Popped off the trim clips; or rather, half came out the other half were destroyed coming out. In any event got in there and found what feels like a plastic bag with padding in it. I'm not sure if the previous owner added it as a protective measure or what. Seemed like it could have been done yesterday so I think I might just leave it. In any event added a new antenna mount and screwed in the antenna and that was fine. While popping off the trim clips for the wheel well decided to to take off the plastic side rocker panel to inspect for rust. Looked pretty good, some minor spots i'll brush down and hit with some rustoleum rust restorer. Broke some of the clips getting the plastic panel off, will try to repair, jb weld them and then hit the whole thing with a couple coats of matte black. Decided it might make sense to replace them shortly anyway so found a thread where BigBlue was talking about it. Made the search easy of course. I really like the 4xguard but we'll see if I get a response, otherwise it'll be mopar or rocky road.
Spraygun already chimed in on the plastic bag of padding; but as for the broken clips, I have a post near the end of a headlight replace/install thread that has links to all the different panel clips and rivets you'll need for all parts of the front end!
Stircrayzy and redwolfb14 like this.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Points: 338, Level: 6 Points: 338, Level: 6 Points: 338, Level: 6
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

4WD
Current Mileage: 160000
Garage
Thanks all, info has been super helpful. So today I finally got a couple of hours to pull down the front. Things were going well until I noticed the rust. I've been under the truck before but having the front down exposed Northeast rust over 13 years I wasn't able to see. The control arms, even the front shock covers. I'll probably end up replacing the whole front end at some point but needless to say it needed to be at the very least coated before I put everything back. Grabbed a couple cans of rust reformer and a solution of vinegar and rubbing alcohol and went to work. Tried to hit anything that looked like it was remotely brown with a wire brush and the solution. I let it dry and then hit it all with a can of rust reformer, I was extra liberal in coverage because I'm not sure if i'm going to get a chance to do undercoating before it gets cold. May have it done when I get it detailed but winter is around the corner and I have but so much time. I'm going to let the reformer fully dry over night before I hit it with another coat of black enamel and put the frontend back together. Got some photos here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	563.9 KB
ID:	34343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3816.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	34345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	523.2 KB
ID:	34347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3822.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	34349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3824.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	34351  

Last edited by redwolfb14; 08-12-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks all, info has been super helpful. So today I finally got a couple of hours to pull down the front. Things were going well until I noticed the rust. I've been under the truck before but having the front down exposed Northeast rust over 13 years I wasn't able to see. The control arms, even the front shock covers. I'll probably end up replacing the whole front end at some point but needless to say it needed to be at the very least coated before I put everything back. Grabbed a couple cans of rust reformer and a solution of vinegar and rubbing alcohol and went to work. Tried to hit anything that looked like it was remotely brown with a wire brush and the solution. I let it dry and then hit it all with a can of rust reformer, I was extra liberal in coverage because I'm not sure if i'm going to get a chance to do undercoating before it gets cold. May have it done when I get it detailed but winter is around the corner and I have but so much time. I'm going to let the reformer fully dry over night before I hit it with another coat of black enamel and put the frontend back together. Not letting me upload but i'll post some photos of where we are.

Some photos, let me see if these actually post here. Ok got 5 in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3815.jpg
Size:	523.2 KB
ID:	34333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	565.8 KB
ID:	34335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3819.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	34337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3829.jpg
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	34339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3817.jpg
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	34341  

Last edited by redwolfb14; 08-12-2019 at 05:42 PM.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 186000
Garage
Have to ask: Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol? What does that do exactly? I use a lot of rust remover and 3M rubberized undercoating but never heard of vinegar and alcohol before?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
@brattrw ; Vinegar is an excellent remover of rust and alcohol is a great in breaking up grease. What ends up happening is that the alcohol will break up any grease and the vinegar will eat the rust. In the process alcohol will evaporate leaving the vinegar in places you likely can't hit with any tool at all. Neglected engine bays/undersides usually have lots of grease and rust so the solution with a wire brush helps speed up the process of cleaning. As well as getting into areas you can't necessarily reach with a tool. After hitting everything a couple of times, wire brushing and letting it dry. The area can be neutralized with a rust reformer product and then coated with some paint. The reason why we don't use a rust stripper or powerful degreaser is because it'll eat through plastic cables or get sprayed into a place we can't reach and begin actually causing pitting or eating away at weld seams etc. Every half decade or so I also get a gallon of vinegar and a bottle of alcohol and soak my wrenches and other oil soaked tools for a couple of days and then clean them off. They come out like I just bought em!
Wombler and brattrw like this.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,186, Level: 93 Points: 23,186, Level: 93 Points: 23,186, Level: 93
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Nice work @redwolfb14;

I'm pretty fortunate that I don't have the rust issues that I've read about from a lot of other members here; I have some minor surface rust here and there underneath on the chassis, but thankfully, nothing serious. I've already replaced the factory plastic rock sliders/doors sills underneath and no rust at all there & all of my door jambs are spotless.

However, the very next big thing on my to-do list is to take Big Blue somewhere for a professional undercoating/rust-proofing job. I want to get that surface rust removed and have it professionally undercoated, so, I won't have to worry about it again in my lifetime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 186000
Garage
Quote:
@brattrw ; Vinegar is an excellent remover of rust and alcohol is a great in breaking up grease. What ends up happening is that the alcohol will break up any grease and the vinegar will eat the rust. In the process alcohol will evaporate leaving the vinegar in places you likely can't hit with any tool at all. Neglected engine bays/undersides usually have lots of grease and rust so the solution with a wire brush helps speed up the process of cleaning. As well as getting into areas you can't necessarily reach with a tool. After hitting everything a couple of times, wire brushing and letting it dry. The area can be neutralized with a rust reformer product and then coated with some paint. The reason why we don't use a rust stripper or powerful degreaser is because it'll eat through plastic cables or get sprayed into a place we can't reach and begin actually causing pitting or eating away at weld seams etc. Every half decade or so I also get a gallon of vinegar and a bottle of alcohol and soak my wrenches and other oil soaked tools for a couple of days and then clean them off. They come out like I just bought em!
That is awesome info! Thank you.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
So, got the new headlights in, valve cover gaskets replaced and have been ride testing to get a feel for whats crucial next. Most of the rust has been cleaned/reformed... I've ordered Bilstein 5100's for the front and will put them at the lowest setting to level her out and then plan to get the exhaust manifold gasket and heat shields replaced. While pushing her I can definitely hear what sounds like an exhaust leak and it's obvious the heat shields are broken at the bolts (it seems like it took another 6-7 years for Chrysler to fix the issue and use proper bolts, my Ram 2012 had the same issue) From there she's off for a detailing, some new rims/tires and full brake replacement. The last will probably be the engine shop to get that valve cover hole drilled out, filled with aluminum and retapped. So far with all the other bolts down it doesn't seem to be a problem but I just added beefy brand new gaskets so i'll keep an eye on it but I should really get it done. I think we'll be ready for winter after all that. I want to replace the head unit as well so we'll try to fit that in there.
Wombler likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Points: 649, Level: 12 Points: 649, Level: 12 Points: 649, Level: 12
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

4WD
Current Mileage: 125,000
Garage
Is the valve cover bolt hole too large to drill out and install a helicoil? I did that on one of mine. I was able to find the helicoil kit at O'Reilly's Auto parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 Commander Limited Hemi 5.7 QDII on Amsoil. Trail Dash 2, 2" RC lift, 1.25" whl spacers, 265/70R17 Pirelli Scorpion AT+
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
@Sevenjays Yeah, it's completely destroyed. The drill bit tilted and pretty much opened the hole on one side, it's on the drivers side front top bolt towards the grille. The only way to fix it properly will be to drill an even bigger hole, tack in a piece of aluminum rod, drill a hole and helicoil. It's not a difficult job but i've broken like 6 drill bits at this point... I'm just going to take it to a shop and have someone do it before I make it worse.

As an update, maybe last week or so I started smelling what seemed like a dead mouse in the jeep. I wrote it off and started driving the jeep around, maybe 2 days later the smell got worse and I knew something was living but now dead in the jeep. I'm not sure why I was so upset, my wife had a good chuckle, but I guess it was because the inside of the jeep is in really good condition. In any event, I narrowed it down to the center console. Pulled out the passenger seat and started breaking it down. Imagine my surprise when I found 3 dead mice and a nest behind the two vents in the center console. They had to have been in the Jeep since I got it from auction because it was a proper nest. Probably died from starvation because i'm in the woods I suspect if they ventured out they would have been eaten pretty shortly there after. It took a full day to get the goddamn thing cleaned up properly. They had chewed through the foam but thankfully none of the electrical was touched. Replaced the foam, gave the center console a once over and let it sit, just incase I missed any of our little critter friends. I have no idea how they got in there but I didn't want to put everything back together until I was sure. Smell is gone now but I decided to make an appointment to get the entire thing detailed asap; that's tomorrow 8am.

So detailing appointment tomorrow, i'll do a before and after for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in