Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 160000
Garage
Jeep Commander Limited 2006

Sold my 2012 Ram 1500 because I no longer needed a pickup and was planning on just buying a new truck. Unfortunately the new 2019 RAM looks silly to me and even though they have the classic it didn't have the trim level I wanted so even then it'd just be sitting most of the time. I'm not driving much so I decided instead of wasting money to maybe build a jeep. The new Jeeps have the same problem, they all look the same to me (as in, rounded suv body and not like jeeps) so when a copart 2006 Jeep Commander Limited (leather, nav, cd changer, etc) came up for 1k usd.. clean title, runs & drives.. I figured i'd have to swap out the engine and do some body work. That was a couple of weeks ago, car is surprisingly in really good shape with 155k on it. The previous owner kept the interior leather in good condition and with the exception of some dirt, broken passenger sunshade and broken antenna grommet it was great, no major dents or body damage at all. The bumper, hood and roof rack, lights were faded and mechanically the pcv valve, ignition coils, battery, spark plugs, oil needed changing. Changed out that sunshade, will possibly repair the old one, sanded and primed the racks have to install the new lights (polished the old ones but they are so faded i'd have to pull them out to do a good job, may as well swap now) and still there are some things to do. Yesterday after changing the coils noticed a small leak on the drivers side engine valve cover gasket and the AC was working weakly but looks like it finally gave up the ghost so there is probably a leak somewhere. 50/50 says a recharge will fix it, maybe change the thermostat while I have the front down but will try to get that before it gets cold here in the north, a budget 2 inch level in the front, some new shocks, brakes, wheels and tires and then a full detail. Will probably just go ahead and change out all remaining fluids, engine coolant/trans/diff etc next. Otherwise I'm probably 2.5k USD in total taxes/fees etc. So far this forum has been really helpful in understanding general themes and issues to look out for!! Thanks for having me!
Wombler and Stircrayzy like this.

Last edited by redwolfb14; 07-26-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92 Points: 21,465, Level: 92
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolfb14 View Post
Sold my 2012 Ram 1500 because I no longer needed a pickup and was planning on just buying a new truck. Unfortunately the new 2019 RAM looks silly to me and even though they have the classic it didn't have the trim level I wanted so even then it'd just be sitting most of the time. I'm not driving much so I decided instead of wasting money to maybe build a jeep. The new Jeeps have the same problem, they all look the same to me (as in, rounded suv body and not like jeeps) so when a copart 2006 Jeep Commander Limited (leather, nav, cd changer, etc) came up for 1k usd.. clean title, runs & drives.. I figured i'd have to swap out the engine and do some body work. That was a couple of weeks ago, car is surprisingly in really good shape with 155k on it. The previous owner kept the interior leather in good condition and with the exception of some dirt, broken passenger sunshade and broken antenna grommet it was great, no major dents or body damage at all. The bumper, hood and roof rack, lights were faded and mechanically the pcv valve, ignition coils, battery, spark plugs, oil needed changing. Changed out that sunshade, will possibly repair the old one, sanded and primed the racks have to install the new lights (polished the old ones but they are so faded i'd have to pull them out to do a good job, may as well swap now) and still there are some things to do. Yesterday after changing the coils noticed a small leak on the drivers side engine valve cover gasket and the AC was working weakly but looks like it finally gave up the ghost so there is probably a leak somewhere. 50/50 says a recharge will fix it, maybe change the thermostat while I have the front down but will try to get that before it gets cold here in the north, a budget 2 inch level in the front, some new shocks, brakes, wheels and tires and then a full detail. Will probably just go ahead and change out all remaining fluids, engine coolant/trans/diff etc next. Otherwise I'm probably 2.5k USD in total taxes/fees etc. So far this forum has been really helpful in understanding general themes and issues to look out for!! Thanks for having me!
@redwolfb14 ;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links if you want to order any other parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

JeepSteel Custom Bumpers - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

4WD
Garage
Thanks, much appreciated.

I wanted to start a journal thread or something to keep track of everything i'm doing. I'm not sure if I have access but I can just post here if that is ok.

Today I decided to change the drivers side valve cover gasket because it was leaking in the rear. The existing gasket and spark plugs gaskets looked like they had never been changed; ever. The grommets were actually in really good shape. Cleaned the cover and applied new valve cover and spark plug gaskets. Unfortunately trying to torque down the first valve cover bolt, it broke in the thread; had to order a new valve cover bolt and one of the ignition coil bolts was just completely missing. Ordered that at the same time, so we'll fix that up when they get in. I'm not sure if I should drill/ez-out it as the bolt was rusty where it snapped, we'll see. I'm tempted to just start changing the passenger side before it begins leaking but it's not crucial right now.

Depending on when everything comes in i'll probably change the headlights out if my kids will give me a minute to breath. Otherwise we'll wait the couple of days.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated.

I wanted to start a journal thread or something to keep track of everything i'm doing. I'm not sure if I have access but I can just post here if that is ok.

Today I decided to change the drivers side valve cover gasket because it was leaking in the rear. The existing gasket and spark plugs gaskets looked like they had never been changed; ever. The grommets were actually in really good shape. Cleaned the cover and applied new valve cover and spark plug gaskets. Unfortunately trying to torque down the first valve cover bolt, it broke in the thread; had to order a new valve cover bolt and one of the ignition coil bolts was just completely missing. Ordered that at the same time, so we'll fix that up when they get in. I'm not sure if I should drill/ez-out it as the bolt was rusty where it snapped, we'll see. I'm tempted to just start changing the passenger side before it begins leaking but it's not crucial right now.

Depending on when everything comes in i'll probably change the headlights out if my kids will give me a minute to breath. Otherwise we'll wait the couple of days.
Once you reach 5 posts, you can post a thread in the "Picture / Media Post" sub-forum in the My Garage section to document all of the modifications that you do to your Commander as you're doing them, that's typically what most members do.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-29-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Thanks.

So yesterday I decided to drill out the broken valve cover bolt. This was a mistake, two broken drill bits and a slightly mangled valve cover hole and it's still not out. Ordered some new bits and hopefully i'm able to get through and am able to tap the hole. If not i'll just tie it down somewhere with some hanger wire while I drive it over to a machine shop. Don't want to damage it anymore than it already is. While waiting for those bits i'll go ahead and replace the front headlight/fog lights. I've read it's a full on job so i'm not looking forward to it but it's gotta get done, so sometime this week.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Thanks.

So yesterday I decided to drill out the broken valve cover bolt. This was a mistake, two broken drill bits and a slightly mangled valve cover hole and it's still not out. Ordered some new bits and hopefully i'm able to get through and am able to tap the hole. If not i'll just tie it down somewhere with some hanger wire while I drive it over to a machine shop. Don't want to damage it anymore than it already is. While waiting for those bits i'll go ahead and replace the front headlight/fog lights. I've read it's a full on job so i'm not looking forward to it but it's gotta get done, so sometime this week.
Yep, it's really a little more work than it should be because typically, you have to remove the front bumper cover to get the access needed to complete the job.
redwolfb14 likes this.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Man, at $1k that's a steal! Good luck with that valve cover bolt....I snapped off an oil pan bolt- was lucky enough to be able to get the threads out without drilling, though. I have since learned to just always run a tap in any smaller threaded hole on the heads and blocks of these things before trying to put the bolts back in!
redwolfb14 likes this.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Too hot today, will try to get the lights in tomorrow or if the sun gives me reprieve later this evening. In the interim the bracket for the antenna mount was cracked and broken off which let the mount and antenna drop into the passenger side wheel cavity. Popped off the trim clips; or rather, half came out the other half were destroyed coming out. In any event got in there and found what feels like a plastic bag with padding in it. I'm not sure if the previous owner added it as a protective measure or what. Seemed like it could have been done yesterday so I think I might just leave it. In any event added a new antenna mount and screwed in the antenna and that was fine. While popping off the trim clips for the wheel well decided to to take off the plastic side rocker panel to inspect for rust. Looked pretty good, some minor spots i'll brush down and hit with some rustoleum rust restorer. Broke some of the clips getting the plastic panel off, will try to repair, jb weld them and then hit the whole thing with a couple coats of matte black. Decided it might make sense to replace them shortly anyway so found a thread where BigBlue was talking about it. Made the search easy of course. I really like the 4xguard but we'll see if I get a response, otherwise it'll be mopar or rocky road.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Points: 4,977, Level: 45 Points: 4,977, Level: 45 Points: 4,977, Level: 45
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 253,000
Quote:
Too hot today, will try to get the lights in tomorrow or if the sun gives me reprieve later this evening. In the interim the bracket for the antenna mount was cracked and broken off which let the mount and antenna drop into the passenger side wheel cavity. Popped off the trim clips; or rather, half came out the other half were destroyed coming out. In any event got in there and found what feels like a plastic bag with padding in it. I'm not sure if the previous owner added it as a protective measure or what. Seemed like it could have been done yesterday so I think I might just leave it. In any event added a new antenna mount and screwed in the antenna and that was fine. While popping off the trim clips for the wheel well decided to to take off the plastic side rocker panel to inspect for rust. Looked pretty good, some minor spots i'll brush down and hit with some rustoleum rust restorer. Broke some of the clips getting the plastic panel off, will try to repair, jb weld them and then hit the whole thing with a couple coats of matte black. Decided it might make sense to replace them shortly anyway so found a thread where BigBlue was talking about it. Made the search easy of course. I really like the 4xguard but we'll see if I get a response, otherwise it'll be mopar or rocky road.
The plastic bag material is for sound deadening.It is filled full of Hollofil material.Similar to what you find in a cheap pillow. It's that white fuzzy stuff. You can take it out. If it's starting to disintegrate. I replaced mine a few years ago. Because I added some asphalt pads to the inside of the fenders and doors. Also known as Q pads.
You don't have to have it. It's just a little added feature to make a quiet cabin. I like to keep things shipshape.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Oh the memories; not a fun job getting them off;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...o-list-24.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in