Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 181,000
2008 commander help

I have a commander that just stopped running on the interstate turned off. Got it towed home and replaced the starter. Now it starts rough and have to basically flood it to keep it started. You can smell gas? When it’s started it sounds terrible just trying to start it is hard as well. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxysweetpea View Post
I have a commander that just stopped running on the interstate turned off. Got it towed home and replaced the starter. Now it starts rough and have to basically flood it to keep it started. You can smell gas? When it’s started it sounds terrible just trying to start it is hard as well. Ideas?
Welcome to the forum @Roxysweetpea;

Are you receiving any diagnostic trouble codes in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center in your instrument cluster in the dash? Would be a code like P0430 or something similar.

When you say you're smelling gas, and you have to basically flood it to keep me running, it sounds like your engine is starving for fuel; That immediately makes me think you have a bad fuel line somewhere with a crack or hole in it or possibly a bad fuel pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
No check engine codes. It’s idling rough when it does start. Like all cylinders not together or something?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 125,000
Garage
Any more details on when it died? I'm confused on changing the starter as it would not have caused the engine to quit but I can see it failing after working hard to try to restart.

You should have some codes showing to help point you in a direction. That would be where I would start.
Also pulling spark plugs and make sure it turns over easy with the plugs removed to help determine if it's internal issues.
Figuring out where the fuel smell is coming from could prevent a fire and solve most of your issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4WD
Was driving normal and it died on the interstate. We changed the starter because it was just changed and thought it might have gone bad. After replacing it again it is still having the issue with not starting correctly. What would make a vehicle just shut off while driving? Itís rough and doesnít just start have to hold it to get the engine to turn over but dies quickly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:25 PM
Points: 4,579, Level: 43 Points: 4,579, Level: 43 Points: 4,579, Level: 43
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxysweetpea View Post
Was driving normal and it died on the interstate. We changed the starter because it was just changed and thought it might have gone bad. After replacing it again it is still having the issue with not starting correctly. What would make a vehicle just shut off while driving? It’s rough and doesn’t just start have to hold it to get the engine to turn over but dies quickly.
None of this sounds like a starter issue. The starter is only in use while cranking the engine when it is not running. If the engine died while driving down the interstate, that has NOTHING to do with the starter. Further, if you are able to crank the engine and holding the gas pedal down is what is required to start it, this is still proof the starter is working fine- the engine is turning over. If you aren't holding the key turned to the far right/clockwise 'Start' position then the starter isn't being used.

I'm guessing you have a Hemi since you have the Limited package- your profile doesn't specify which engine you have.
Your's being a 2008 tells me you should be safe from a dropped valve seat, also that wouldn't have happened while driving. Depending on the amount of gas smelled it could just be miss-fires, bad coils, plugs, etc. This also tells that at least the fuel pump is working.
Besides the already stated of checking for DTC codes, I know lifters can fail through almost all years of the 5.7 until like 2012 or 2013.....and this might not throw any codes, just how a dropped valve seat would never throw a code. And would have the exact symptoms you are talking about.

Last edited by Wombler; 07-29-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95 Points: 24,722, Level: 95
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
None of this sounds like a starter issue. The starter is only in use while cranking the engine when it is not running. If the engine died while driving down the interstate, that has NOTHING to do with the starter. Further, if you are able to crank the engine and holding the gas pedal down is what is required to start it, this is still proof the starter is working fine- the engine is turning over. If you aren't holding the key turned to the far right/clockwise 'Start' position then the starter isn't being used.

I'm guessing you have a Hemi since you have the Limited package- your profile doesn't specify which engine you have.
Your's being a 2008 tells me you should be safe from a dropped valve seat, also that wouldn't have happened while driving. Depending on the amount of gas smelled it could just be miss-fires, bad coils, plugs, etc. This also tells that at least the fuel pump is working.
Besides the already stated of checking for DTC codes, I know lifters can fail through almost all years of the 5.7 until like 2012 or 2013.....and this might not throw any codes, just how a dropped valve seat would never throw a code. And would have the exact symptoms you are talking about.
Yea, he/she missed that question in their user profile;

@Roxysweetpea; Please answer the user profile which asks What Power-Train your Commander has;

This is exactly why I harp on everybody to complete their user profile questions prior to posting on the forum, it helps out tremendously when other forum members are trying to help you troubleshoot your problems.

FWIW I agree with you @Wombler about it not being a starter issue, it sounds like it could be a fuel line or fuel pump problem to me, maybe even a clogged fuel filter.

Last edited by Big Blue; 07-29-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Points: 4,579, Level: 43 Points: 4,579, Level: 43 Points: 4,579, Level: 43
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Yea, he/she missed that question in their user profile;

@Roxysweetpea; Please answer the user profile which asks What Power-Train your Commander has;

This is exactly why I harp on everybody to complete their user profile questions prior to posting on the forum, it helps out tremendously when other forum members are trying to help you troubleshoot your problems.

FWIW I agree with you @Wombler about it not being a starter issue, it sounds like it could be a fuel line or fuel pump problem to me, maybe even a clogged fuel filter.
On the Hemis (maybe all 3 engines?), the fuel filter is non-serviceable IN the fuel pump, so you gotta replace the whole fuel pump assembly. I still think if he/she is smelling excessive amounts of fuel that it's still being pumped. Also, they are able to get it running one way or another which requires fuel...sooo....
Since they haven't responded back with any more info, I guess this is as far as we'll get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in