Old new member - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Old new member

I have the 2006 Commander limited 5.7L Hemi. I have the best mechanic, best troubleshooter. Aeronautical Degree from Embry Riddle quality control guy. Known him 25 years. I took her in for servicing, full service time up...oil change and all that. It just wasn't running right, I know my baby. I called and made an appointment to take her in the soonest he had which was in a week and a half. When I drive her she's got a whine from the engine that fluctuates with the RPM's. Is that how a hemi is supposed to sound? Also she has a little bit of a slight hitch in her gate intermittently. Also, there was an old familiar sound, womp womp womp, slightly sound. I called a couple times to let them know that it's not running right, the cruise wasn't working and other things on her. He saw that the cam relay? Module? had been knocked so they replaced it and those things worked again. Also, when I got her back after the full service tune-up the windshield sprayers weren't working. They were working fine when I took it in. Anyway, I called them and said 'I have to say, she's NOT running right...something's wrong'.
Anyway, I was driving her last Saturday and the engine light came on steady so I pulled over and shut her off then did the codes on her column. 2 came up, Low oil pressure and wrong oil I waited some more then checked her oil.....she was thirsty! No oil on her stick! WTF. I had her towed to Auto zone where the assistant manager ran the codes under the dash and came up with the same codes. My back has been pretty bad but getting better so he gave her 4 full quarts. A couple weeks after the full tune-up. My day comes and we pull into the garage and he said he was going to have to inspect everything they did..... He wasn't happy. In the end he was frustrated that he could find nothing....no leaks baby. He puts in Mopar synthetic 5w-20. I remember the mechanic ask if she took 6 or all of 7 qts but im hard of hearing so I didn't catch the answer. But 4 qts down? 2 days later she was 2 qts down. Now she been loving life at level. I thought I'd better check her transmission fluid, had that serviced too. Got her good and hot and checked. Down at the first cold hole, she took 1/2 qt. WTF. Man, WHAT is going on! My guy told me to take her to the dealer and have her reprogrammed. So appt tomorrow. Anyone ever come across this issue, and where'd the oil go? She doesn't smoke or leak, don't smell. How would reprogramming be responsible for her loss of oils. They are positive they put in the full required amount. I believe them. Their alright, meaning good people. Also, I pulled through a fast food drive thru the other day and all of the sudden she sounded like she was dragging a piece of sheet metal dragging on the ground from her drivers side maybe where her axle goes to her engine but I can't tell. Then the next day it stopped..... I dislike intermittent problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,393, Level: 92 Points: 21,393, Level: 92 Points: 21,393, Level: 92
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
I have the 2006 Commander limited 5.7L Hemi. I have the best mechanic, best troubleshooter. Aeronautical Degree from Embry Riddle quality control guy. Known him 25 years. I took her in for servicing, full service time up...oil change and all that. It just wasn't running right, I know my baby. I called and made an appointment to take her in the soonest he had which was in a week and a half. When I drive her she's got a whine from the engine that fluctuates with the RPM's. Is that how a hemi is supposed to sound? Also she has a little bit of a slight hitch in her gate intermittently. Also, there was an old familiar sound, womp womp womp, slightly sound. I called a couple times to let them know that it's not running right, the cruise wasn't working and other things on her. He saw that the cam relay? Module? had been knocked so they replaced it and those things worked again. Also, when I got her back after the full service tune-up the windshield sprayers weren't working. They were working fine when I took it in. Anyway, I called them and said 'I have to say, she's NOT running right...something's wrong'.
Anyway, I was driving her last Saturday and the engine light came on steady so I pulled over and shut her off then did the codes on her column. 2 came up, Low oil pressure and wrong oil I waited some more then checked her oil.....she was thirsty! No oil on her stick! WTF. I had her towed to Auto zone where the assistant manager ran the codes under the dash and came up with the same codes. My back has been pretty bad but getting better so he gave her 4 full quarts. A couple weeks after the full tune-up. My day comes and we pull into the garage and he said he was going to have to inspect everything they did..... He wasn't happy. In the end he was frustrated that he could find nothing....no leaks baby. He puts in Mopar synthetic 5w-20. I remember the mechanic ask if she took 6 or all of 7 qts but im hard of hearing so I didn't catch the answer. But 4 qts down? 2 days later she was 2 qts down. Now she been loving life at level. I thought I'd better check her transmission fluid, had that serviced too. Got her good and hot and checked. Down at the first cold hole, she took 1/2 qt. WTF. Man, WHAT is going on! My guy told me to take her to the dealer and have her reprogrammed. So appt tomorrow. Anyone ever come across this issue, and where'd the oil go? She doesn't smoke or leak, don't smell. How would reprogramming be responsible for her loss of oils. They are positive they put in the full required amount. I believe them. Their alright, meaning good people. Also, I pulled through a fast food drive thru the other day and all of the sudden she sounded like she was dragging a piece of sheet metal dragging on the ground from her drivers side maybe where her axle goes to her engine but I can't tell. Then the next day it stopped..... I dislike intermittent problems.
@Prescott; Welcome back to the forum; Sorry you are having so many problems, I'll be interested to hear what the dealership tells you.

I'm guessing you have not posted on the forum in quite a while, so, when you get a chance, Please update your user profile in accordance with the forum rules below; thank you & welcome back.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...uncements.html

ATTENTION All Forum Members - Mandatory Requirement: Update your User Profile Information.

There are some new questions pertaining specifically to your Commander that have been added to your user profile to be answered. YOU SHOULD LOG-IN FROM A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP COMPUTER. There are Member Profile Questions that must be answered with profile fields that must be filled out; They are easily accessed & viewed if you are logged in from a desktop or laptop computer - IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO VIEW ALL OF THE PROFILE QUESTIONS / FIELDS IF YOU ARE LOGGED IN ON A SMART PHONE USING THE MOBILE VIEW APP.

If you don't own a Commander just answer "No" to the "Own a Commander?" question and you don't need to answer any more of the Commander specific questions. If you do own a Commander, obviously, you'll answer "Yes" and then answer the rest of the questions pertaining to your Commander. Your answers will display all of your Commander's information below your avatar like this:

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD or 4WD: 4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 86,500

To update your profile, click on your username above your avatar and select the "View Public Profile" tab and click on "About Me" and you will see the questions that need to be answered pertaining to your Commander's information.

Please take the time to update your profile when you have a spare minute, so, the newer members will know what kind of Commander (Model Year, Trim Package, Power-Train, 2WD or 4WD; 4WD system; etc.) that you are driving.

Update: this sticky announcement has been posted in every single sub-forum for over a year & a half now and I'm still seeing members that have not complied. This is a mandatory requirement for all forum members - failure to update your user profile in accordance with forum rules will be followed up with disciplinary action, up to and including the possibility of being permanently banned from the forum for violation of forum rules.

These rules have been put in place for a purpose, please follow them accordingly. Thank you.

Big Blue; Forum Moderator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 PM
Points: 2,143, Level: 27 Points: 2,143, Level: 27 Points: 2,143, Level: 27
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 90% Activity: 90% Activity: 90%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 123000
Welcome!!

Check your radiator for missing oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in