2006 Limited - Project Vehicle - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

 4Likes
  • 2 Post By DanielDD
  • 1 Post By DanielDD
  • 1 Post By Stircrayzy
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The Rocket City
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
Posts: 13
2006 Limited - Project Vehicle

Interesting I can post here but not in the regular discussion forum..

Oh well, maybe this is a right of passage into the regular forums. Picked up a 1 owner 2006 Limited 2 weeks ago. It had overheated due to a burst heater hose next to the firewall. Woman driving it was unaware until it was too late to do anything about it. It was a one owner vehicle bought here locally, so I rescued it and brought it home.

I figured it would be an easy fix, but after I ran a compression test, I found the rear cylinder on the driver's side to be at 0 PSI. Not a good sign. Removal of the valve cover indicated no discernible damage, except that the cam intake cam lobe had some slight damage, but nothing too terrible. Only way to really find out what was going on was to remove the driver's side cylinder head. As suspected, the intake valve seat came loose and the piston beat the daylights out of the seat and left alot of carnage in the combustion chamber. The piston is ruined, but the cylinder wall looks to be okay. For good measure, I removed the passenger side cylinder head and it looks okay.

I was initially going to just drop the pan, remove the offending piston and replace it but pan removal with engine in vehicle is a major pain, so I have decided to just pull the rest of the engine, load it onto an engine stand and fix it properly. Wish I could post pictures of the carnage, but I've got to have at least 5 posts before I can do that....
chaotic and Stircrayzy like this.
DanielDD is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,182
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDD View Post
Interesting I can post here but not in the regular discussion forum..

Oh well, maybe this is a right of passage into the regular forums. Picked up a 1 owner 2006 Limited 2 weeks ago. It had overheated due to a burst heater hose next to the firewall. Woman driving it was unaware until it was too late to do anything about it. It was a one owner vehicle bought here locally, so I rescued it and brought it home.

I figured it would be an easy fix, but after I ran a compression test, I found the rear cylinder on the driver's side to be at 0 PSI. Not a good sign. Removal of the valve cover indicated no discernible damage, except that the cam intake cam lobe had some slight damage, but nothing too terrible. Only way to really find out what was going on was to remove the driver's side cylinder head. As suspected, the intake valve seat came loose and the piston beat the daylights out of the seat and left alot of carnage in the combustion chamber. The piston is ruined, but the cylinder wall looks to be okay. For good measure, I removed the passenger side cylinder head and it looks okay.

I was initially going to just drop the pan, remove the offending piston and replace it but pan removal with engine in vehicle is a major pain, so I have decided to just pull the rest of the engine, load it onto an engine stand and fix it properly. Wish I could post pictures of the carnage, but I've got to have at least 5 posts before I can do that....
@DanielDD;


Welcome to the forum; The short answer is, you are a new member; New members can only post in the new member section until they reach 5 posts. That is explained to you in the New Member Required Reading below;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...uirements.html

Quote:
UNTIL YOU REACH 5 POSTS - You will only be able to post in the New Member Section - but you can read any thread or post, in any sub-forum.

Once you hit 5 posts, your full user privileges will automatically kick-in and you will be able to post in the entire forum - including all of the sub-forums and you will also be able to post photos, URLs & hyperlinks.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your work once you hit 5 posts.

Welcome aboard.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-14-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Big Blue is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The Rocket City
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
Posts: 13
Thank you for pointing that requirement out to me. Somehow I must have overlooked it last night.
DanielDD is online now  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The Rocket City
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
Posts: 13
Starter has been removed. There is a piece called a structural support that is giving me fits. It simply won't come out as the rear crossmember is preventing it from dislodging from the crankcase pan completely, preventing me from removing the flex plate bolts.

Never seen anything like it...

The only way to remove it is to lift the engine. No other way.

So, I have to lift the engine to make enough clearance to remove the structural support. Lower the engine back down, remove the flex plate bolts, remove the engine to transmission bolts and then I can remove the short block in its entirety...

Whew!
Big Blue likes this.
DanielDD is online now  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
Points: 2,150, Level: 27 Points: 2,150, Level: 27 Points: 2,150, Level: 27
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 91% Activity: 91% Activity: 91%
 
Stircrayzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Detroit
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 123000
Posts: 110
Good call on pulling it to do the job right. No taking shortcuts will mean you can probably bet on much higher longevity.
Im tuning in for pics, hurry up and throw a couple more posts out there ! Oh wait now you have 6 !
Big Blue likes this.
Stircrayzy is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 06:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Imperigal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Michigan
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Current Mileage: 154000
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDD View Post
Thank you for pointing that requirement out to me. Somehow I must have overlooked it last night.
I completely missed it too! Glad I wasn't the only one 🙂
Imperigal is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Posts: 5,182
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperigal View Post
I completely missed it too! Glad I wasn't the only one;
It happens, not the end of the world. Welcome aboard.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome