Jeep Commander Forum banner

New Member!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MatthewD 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I own a 2008 v8 commander. Trying to change the spark plugs in it but a 5/8 doesn't fit down the chamber to the spark plug. Found two others having the same problem. I have a spark plug specific socket which is ironically wider than my deep socket 5/8. The owners manual lists the sparks plugs as the Bosch copper with nickel FR8TE2 gap 0.040 for the upper bank and FR8T1332 gap 0.050 for the lower bank so i'll be going with those. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Hi Matt - I just removed all of my spark plugs from my 06 without incident. They shouldn't be in there very tight as these are aluminum cylinder heads. I would try another deep well socket. I used a 5/8 deep well 6 point socket. Make sure the socket isn't an impact socket as the wall thickness on the socket will be much greater than a standard socket.

#7 ·
Welcome, and good luck wrench'n !
I dont know how much different the 4.7 and 5.7 are, but i definatelyappreciated having a swivel tight to the socket. Finding thin wall socket is tricky, most stores dont carry them.

#10 · (Edited)
Ok @BanI. But don't post it in this thread because it is unrelated to the subject. Please start your own thread. And please fill out your profile information. Thanks.

#11 · (Edited)
Borrowed a deep socket craftsman from my neighbor that fit. Used my new socket with a magnet to fish it out and insert new ones, couldn't do it without it. Didn't have the problem of the transmission dip stick in the way like others did. Hope this fixes the knocking sound.

Also, is there a way to search the forums? I need to change my coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.