Jeep Commander Forum banner

Superlift advice

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm obviously new here, but I've been prowling the forum for a few months since I bought my Commander. I've learned a ton thanks to all of you, but I've seen conflicting info too. My 2 questions are.
1-Will the Jeep still have a forward rake after the Superlift?
2-Can I run 34's with a 5-6" lift (modified Superlift) WITHOUT destroying my fender liners?
I have my Superlift ready to be installed and I'm waiting for my Bilstein 5100's to show up. My plan was to lift it 6" with the modified Superlift and go with 34's (285/75). I've read a lot of posts around the internet that say I will be rubbing like crazy and I will have to do the rear A/C delete to go ver 33's. Others say they can run 33's with just the Superlift with no problems. I would think that 2" more lift would allow me to run 34's? So does anyone have a definitive answer? I realize I will have to do the pinch weld mod and that's ok, but I'm not willing to hack my Jeep up and sacrifice my rear A/C.
Also, will the Jeep still have a forward rake after the Superlift? I haven't ordered the rear spacers yet because I will go with 1" spacers in the rear and set the Bilstein's to 2" in the front to level it out if I have to.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I would like to only have to order tires once as they're not cheap. If you need more info just let me know. I believe I will be going with 17x9 wheels with a 5" backspace.
THANKS

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
@Greywolf ;

First off please complete your user profile to comply with the forum rules;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...ew-member-information-forum-requirements.html

The answer is "No" to both questions; Look at my signature pic and you'll have a good idea of what you are looking at;

Installing the 4 inch Superlift requires modification to the wheel tubs; I even had a little trimmed off the inside of my factory door sills/plastic rock-sliders;

I'm running Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac LT285/70/17 which are 33's and I'm just clearing them and I have the equivalent of a 6 inch lift.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Big Blue. I can't see signature pics yet, but I have seen your commander before. What do you mean installing the Superlift requires modifying the wheel tubs? This is exactly why I'm confused. There's a guy who works at the off road shop who put a Superlift on his moms Commander with 33's and he said he did no mods and had no rubbing. Why is there such conflicting information?

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Big Blue. I can't see signature pics yet, but I have seen your commander before. What do you mean installing the Superlift requires modifying the wheel tubs? This is exactly why I'm confused. There's a guy who works at the off road shop who put a Superlift on his moms Commander with 33's and he said he did no mods and had no rubbing. Why is there such conflicting information?
@Greywolf;

That's a pretty vague statement, so, I don't know what to tell you about that - did you ask they guy the specifics of his mom's set-up? Suspension upgrades that were done? How many miles are on it? What size engine does his moms XK have? The exact TIRE make, model & size? What size, brand of rims he has? Backspacing & offset of the rims?

Size, offset & back-spacing of rims always has something to do with it; Almost everybody is running rims with different specs;

It's really not very confusing, if you step back and really look at all of the factors that come into play.

There is no one definitive answer that will cover everybody because everybody has slight variations in their set-up. I had quite a bit of cutting done by a professional 4x4 shop; The vast majority of my suspension has been upgraded including upper & lower control arms and I'm barely clearing 33's. I have a WAM custom steel front bumper too, so, maybe that's a factor.

My shop told me that Superlift recommends modifying the wheel tubs prior to the installation of their lift. From the clearance I see when I look at my XK, I can see why they make that recommendation.

If you want to try and have a 4 inch Superlift installed with 33 or 34 inch tires without any cutting or modifications, go right ahead and give it a shot - but I think you'll be in for a few surprises along the way. See the below pic if you want an idea of what it will look like.

#5 ·
Thank you again Blue. They didn't ask any questions, but they did say to stay with 11.5" tires. He said that if I went with 12.5" I'd have problems. Your Jeep looks great by the way. I know every build is different, but usually there's general rules that apply. You know, as a general rule you can run 33's with this lift or whatever, but I just haven't seen it for the Commander. There's a lot more info on the Wk that I've been able to find.
I guess I'll order 33's (275/75/17) and plan on going 6" and hope for the best. I will plan on smashing the pinch weld and HOPEFULLY I'll be at to keep my rear A/C lines in tact. I'll certainly post the results afterwards. Maybe it'll help someone else someday.

#6 · (Edited)
My rims are 17 x 8 with 4.5 inches of back spacing, 0 mm offset. Here are the specs on the LT285/70/17 Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac tires, just to give you a point of reference;

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...JXiMxJ_pCFN_qQ6o5u70wv4HsDg1L2_xoCBGgQAvD_BwE

My shop did the pinch-weld mod, some trimming/cutting of the inner wheel tubs and some minor trimming of the front inner corner of the factory door-sill/rock-slider.

On a positive note, they didn't have to touch my rear AC Lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.