Jeep Commander Forum banner

What to get for an aftermarket radio?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sevenjays 
#1 ·
Hello there! I know this isn't the correct section for the, however I cannot seem to create a post anywhere but here.

I am looking to install an aftermarket radio in my commander, I just purchased it 5 days ago and the radio looks a little dated. It also has an issue where when I turn the volume up it wants to go back down. I've installed several radios in the past but it was with older vehicles and upon some research this install requires more components than I was expecting initially.

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited 4x2 5.7 hemi with the 6 disc cd changer w/o navigation. My goal is to install a head unit with a large display, install a backup camera and have everything function as it should. If I lose the steering controls that is no issue, I don't care about those. The backup camera seems pretty easy to install so I have that down, but upon researching about the head units I have found where care needs to be taken for the amplifier to work, crossovers for the speakers in the dash to work etc. And I am really unsure about what exactly I need as I cannot find any solid info anywhere online.

Below is the list of parts I currently have selected;

Pioneer AVH600ex
Scosche - Single/Double DIN Black Stereo Dash Kit with Pocket
Antenna Adapter
Backup Camera BUCAM400Aj

Typically with the older vehicles I have worked on in the past this is all I would need, however like I said it seems I need much more that I am unfamiliar with. So if anybody could help me out and let me know what else I would need and if these parts can/will work in the commander I will be much appreciated!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hello there! I know this isn't the correct section for the, however I cannot seem to create a post anywhere but here.

I am looking to install an aftermarket radio in my commander, I just purchased it 5 days ago and the radio looks a little dated. It also has an issue where when I turn the volume up it wants to go back down. I've installed several radios in the past but it was with older vehicles and upon some research this install requires more components than I was expecting initially.

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited 4x2 5.7 hemi with the 6 disc cd changer w/o navigation. My goal is to install a head unit with a large display, install a backup camera and have everything function as it should. If I lose the steering controls that is no issue, I don't care about those. The backup camera seems pretty easy to install so I have that down, but upon researching about the head units I have found where care needs to be taken for the amplifier to work, crossovers for the speakers in the dash to work etc. And I am really unsure about what exactly I need as I cannot find any solid info anywhere online.

Below is the list of parts I currently have selected;

Pioneer AVH600ex
Scosche - Single/Double DIN Black Stereo Dash Kit with Pocket
Antenna Adapter
Backup Camera BUCAM400Aj

Typically with the older vehicles I have worked on in the past this is all I would need, however like I said it seems I need much more that I am unfamiliar with. So if anybody could help me out and let me know what else I would need and if these parts can/will work in the commander I will be much appreciated!
@scaryjam823; Welcome to the forum; First off, I'd like to apologize to you;

The reason being is that it should not have taken 4 days for a Forum Moderator to moderate & validate your thread. We will strive to do a better job of staying on top of this.

Now to answer your question, I have a question for you; I'm guessing you do not already have a factory back-up camera since you said you are installing one? Or do you have a factory back-up that you are replacing because it doesn't function?

In any event, you will most likely need an adapter, to hook up your new back-up camera and your aftermarket Pioneer head unit to the factory wiring harness, in addition to the parts you've already bought.

I couldn't tell you which adapter you'd need, you may have to visit a car audio shop and see if they can help you look-up the correct adapter for your Pioneer head unit. I bring this up because I have a Pioneer AVH-X490BS CD/DVD RDS AV head unit with Sirius XM Receiver and when I had mine installed (had it done professionally at a car audio shop) they needed to order an adapter to hook-up my factory back-up camera to my Pioneer head unit.

I'm fairly certain the adapter was also necessary, to hook up the Pioneer head unit to the factory wiring harness.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.