Jeep Commander Forum banner

Lifting it 2-4"

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
I previously owned and lifted (spacers) a Commander put larger tires and it looked great! question is being a newby is there more to It like upper control arm replacement and the drive axles were at a crazy angle post lift? is there a way to straighten them out to to avoid pre mature wear? I ask cause I just bought another one .

#2 · (Edited)
That's a pretty broad question Dan & to answer it properly, I'd need to know more information about the specifics of your plan;

How high are you planning on lifting it? What size tires are you planning to run? Keeping the stock rims or switching to aftermarket rims?

You can get 2 - 3 inches of lift pretty easily from just the Rocky Roads or Rough County 2 inch lift kits and larger tires - typically 265-70R/17's. This kind of set-up doesn't require new UCA's but it wouldn't be a bad thing if you replaced the factory UCA's with something a little beefier, like the JBA-UCA's for lifted XK's (Part # JBA-6.7.00-SLB) - but again, it's not an absolute necessity.

If you want to lift your XK 4 inches or more, that's 4 inch Superlift Territory at which point, yes, I'd definitely replace the front UCA's and you'd probably be smart to replace the front LCA's as well, at that point.

#3 ·
I have also been thinking about going higher. I currently have the 2" RC lift with 265/70/17 Cooper AT tires. Imo, It is what the stock Commander should have looked like in the first place. It is a great look, but I still want to go higher and wider.

I have started to look at what it will take to go higher, and so far it looks like it will cost a lot. I do not know a lot about suspension, so maybe I am looking at the wrong things.

#4 · (Edited)
I have also been thinking about going higher. I currently have the 2" RC lift with 265/70/17 Cooper AT tires. Imo, It is what the stock Commander should have looked like in the first place. It is a great look, but I still want to go higher and wider.

I have started to look at what it will take to go higher, and so far it looks like it will cost a lot. I do not know a lot about suspension, so maybe I am looking at the wrong things.
Joe;

I essentially had the same set-up that you did prior to upgrading to the 4 inch Superlift with Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's and I totally agree with you that XK's should have come from the factory set up that way.

They'd probably still be in production, had FCA/Jeep taken those 2 extra steps to give Commanders a proper size tire & ride height. FCA/Jeep definitely screwed the pooch there.

Check out this thread, it might open your eyes to a few things; And FYI, the 4 inch Superlift kit by itself, is around $2,400.00.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...7s-ultimately-upgrading-4-inch-superlift.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.