Jeep Commander Forum banner

2006 Commander 4.7

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. New here but not new to Jeeps as this is my third. I just bought a 2006 Jeep commander with the 4.7 for the winter to put my mustang away as I don’t drive it in the snow. I plan to keep this one this time as I tend to sell every winter vehicle I get. It’s the limited with all the options. came with a few issues. Most of which I already have taken care of. New exhaust manifold gaskets new valve cover gaskets new brakes and rotors new intake manifold gaskets rims and tires. I have a code p1128 which I’m fairly certain it’s the o2 sensor. I was supposed to do this but with all the work I did I simply just forgot so hopefully this remedies the issue. It’s bank 1 sensor 1 when I got a code for an o2 sensor. Other issue I have is the service 4wd system which I hear is common. Also has a very slight knock or tap at idle and goes away when revved up which I also hear is common. I live in Toledo Ohio where it gets cold in the winter and I’m wondering what you would all recommend for running oil. I use Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic in my mustang and it’s a full bolt on pushing some decent power so I’m thinking that should be good enough but I’m wondering if I can go to a thicker weight to try and quiet the engine down a bit. Previous owner I can tell didn’t chance the oil often as it’s black. Still haven’t had a chance to change the oil. Runs and drives great. Drive it for about 24 hours on a long trip to Kentucky a few times to test it out and I didn’t have an issue. Also my sunroof leaks. Wondering if it’s the drain and if it is, where is the drain located on these? Other than that everything else is good. Thanks. -Tyler

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Tyler; Welcome to the forum; 1st question reference what we were discussing via PM as far as which 4WD system you have; Do you know if you have a chrome 4x4 emblem on the rear hatch? If you do this picture is the next thing you want to look for;

The silver T-Handle is for the NV245 two speed transfer case which means you have QT-II or QD-II; Obviously if you have the little QD-II badge underneath the silver T-Handle, that's self explanatory. If you have the silver T-Handle and no QD-II badge then you most likely have QT-II, which is what I have.

If you have the chrome 4x4 emblem on the rear hatch and nothing else (meaning no silver T-Handle and no QD-II badge) you most likely have QT-I.

You can also pull you factory build sheet here by plugging in your VIN and then you'll know for sure which 4WD system you have;

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you've already bought, enter your VIN here:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Secondary link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

All that being said, post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, Blue. I think I may have figured out what my service 4wd system message is for. I took the actuator out took it apart and cleaned it real good and put it back in. Went for a drive heard a loud band and it shut off. I put it in neutral and started it back up. When I went into reverse I had no reverse and a loud gridning noise. I removed the actuator and manually shifted it all the way towards the back and now I have all gears back. So I'm assuming my transfer case is shot? Also I want to make sure that i do I'm fact have the transfer case shifted into the correct position as I don't want it to just be in rear wheel drive or 4 low. It runs and drives like it did before and no shifting issues. Is there any way to confirm I have the transfer case in the correct position? I'm not even sure if the transfer case can be put into any other position other than 4 low neutral or regal awd but I'd like to know for sure. I stood on the brakes and I can't break the rears loose so I'm assuming it's shifted correctly.

Edit: sunroof leak was from clogged drains. I removed the sun roof and cleaned them out and it drains fine now. My sunroof is broken I can only get the vent to work. Anything else and it binds up. Not sure what reputable source sells the sunroof kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
P73 Campaign.

Thanks for the info, Blue. I think I may have figured out what my service 4wd system message is for. I took the actuator out took it apart and cleaned it real good and put it back in. Went for a drive heard a loud band and it shut off. I put it in neutral and started it back up. When I went into reverse I had no reverse and a loud gridning noise. I removed the actuator and manually shifted it all the way towards the back and now I have all gears back. So I'm assuming my transfer case is shot? Also I want to make sure that i do I'm fact have the transfer case shifted into the correct position as I don't want it to just be in rear wheel drive or 4 low. It runs and drives like it did before and no shifting issues. Is there any way to confirm I have the transfer case in the correct position? I'm not even sure if the transfer case can be put into any other position other than 4 low neutral or regal awd but I'd like to know for sure. I stood on the brakes and I can't break the rears loose so I'm assuming it's shifted correctly.

Edit: sunroof leak was from clogged drains. I removed the sun roof and cleaned them out and it drains fine now. My sunroof is broken I can only get the vent to work. Anything else and it binds up. Not sure what reputable source sells the sunroof kit.

@Teeje9876; Has your Commander ever had the P73 campaign completed? Read the attached .PDF; This will cause the service 4WD System message that you have currently;

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Also just to clarify for anybody else who may be reading this; I don't care for the way they've worded the P73 campaign where they state; "2006 through 2010 model year Jeep® Commander vehicles equipped with a Quadra-Trac II Full Time Active 4WD transfer case. " Because it can be confusing to a new owner who doesn't know Jeeps or Commanders very well.

The P73 campaign applies to all 2006-2010 Commanders with the NV245 two speed transfer case, which means all Commanders with the Quadra-Trac II & Quadra-Drive II 4WD systems, because both systems use the same exact transfer case. This is how they should have worded it - instead of saying "Commander vehicles equipped with a Quadra-Trac II Full Time Active 4WD transfer case." That's a terrible and misleading choice of words.

If the P73 campaign doesn't solve your issue, the next thing I'd look at is a bad transfer case actuator motor; A bad transfer case actuator motor can cause you to lose the ability to shift into, or out of, 4-LOW depending on which mode you are in when it decides to fail.

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in your VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

As far as a source for a sunroof kit goes, check the hyperlinks I sent you when I first welcomed you to the forum earlier in this thread - that's why I give those links to all the new forum members who post an introduction.

Attachments

#6 ·
Nv245 is awd all the time biasing front to rear as needed. Pulling the t handle puts you in 4low locking front and rear together. Pushing the pin hole next to the t handle will put the tcase in neutral. I think the shift motor controls front/rear biasing, 4low, and neutral.

There are encoder sensors that let the system know what the motor position is. As the system wears, tolerances get out of range causing issues.

Have you removed power from the battery and let the system reset itself?

#8 · (Edited)
Okh thank you. I checked by Vin and it reports they have been done but I'm wondering if they will re flash it but the transfer case did in fact shift into neutral by itself.

Edit : as for the 4x4 actuator is there a way to test it? How do I know if that's the issue and not a solenoid in either of the Diffs?

#9 · (Edited)
Okh thank you. I checked by Vin and it reports they have been done but I'm wondering if they will re flash it but the transfer case did in fact shift into neutral by itself.

Edit : as for the 4x4 actuator is there a way to test it? How do I know if that's the issue and not a solenoid in either of the Diffs?

@Teeje9876; There is the possibility that your FDCM could need to be re-flashed; I know of a few guys here on the forum that swear they had to have their FDCM's re-flashed three times consecutively, in order for the update to take properly;

If it was me, I'd have it professionally diagnosed at a Jeep/Chrysler dealership; That's not the kind of thing you want to be wrong about.

#11 · (Edited)
New update. After driving for a couple hours today the CEL came back on throwing p0135 and I have already replaced that sensor a couple days ago. I also had a pending p0420 but I cleared that hours before the CEL came on. From my understanding bank 1 is driver side and the sensor right after the manifold. Anything else I should look for before I dig into checking resistance of the harness ?

Edit: I’d also like to point out that before this code popped up again it was bogging bad and I revved it and it stopped. Almost has lead me to believe there is a possible wiring issue. I’ve been searching this forum and google for some decent wiring diagrams for the o2 and beater circuits but I cannot find any. It is not of urgent importance right now as I don’t drive it until winter. I’m only driving it now to make sure everything is copacetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.