Newbie Jeep owner 2007 Jeep Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and meet the community

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 127,000
Garage
Newbie Jeep owner 2007 Jeep Commander

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm mainly just looking for tips on some repairs for my Jeep. I recently bought a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L limited Trail Rated. I'm having issues with the front brakes on Ice. It seems the drivers side is shuddering when I press the brakes. It only happens on Ice. A little more about the Jeep. I won't go into full details but rather a general history since I bought it. It was bought as a local insurance auction sale. It was sold as running and driving. Anyhow the motor was bad due to cylinder 7. The motor was replaced with a used one to get it up and running. Upon getting it put back together we diagnosed it as having a bad clockspring. We replaced it with one from the yards and it worked with no dash lights showing errors. The Jeep passed Colorado emissions perfectly. The evening before I was to get the emissions someone rearended the Jeep. There was substantial damage to the bumper, blown tire and such. The video of the accident showed the Jeep and how it was pushed forward. Anyhow the tire pressure system is out of whack on the opposite side of the Jeep. I had the Jeep codes checked and supposedly there are no codes for the ABS or anything. The OBD2 shows no codes, no it wasn't an in depth reader, just a basic autozone one.
We also replaced the front end struts and springs. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Jerry Dean Thomas II; 11-04-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 24,336, Level: 94 Points: 24,336, Level: 94 Points: 24,336, Level: 94
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dean Thomas II View Post
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm mainly just looking for tips on some repairs for my Jeep. I recently bought a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L limited Trail Rated. I'm having issues with the front brakes on Ice. It seems the drivers side is shuddering when I press the brakes. It only happens on Ice. A little more about the Jeep. I won't go into full details but rather a general history since I bought it. It was bought as a local insurance auction sale. It was sold as running and driving. Anyhow the motor was bad due to cylinder 7. The motor was replaced with a used one to get it up and running. Upon getting it put back together we diagnosed it as having a bad clockspring. We replaced it with one from the yards and it worked with no dash lights showing errors. The Jeep passed Colorado emissions perfectly. The evening before I was to get the emissions someone rearended the Jeep. There was substantial damage to the bumper, blown tire and such. The video of the accident showed the Jeep and how it was pushed forward. Anyhow the tire pressure system is out of whack on the opposite side of the Jeep. I had the Jeep codes checked and supposedly there are no codes for the ABS or anything. The OBD2 shows no codes, no it wasn't an in depth reader, just a basic autozone one.
@Jerry Dean Thomas II ; I just wanted to officially welcome you to the forum; Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension SystemsŪ

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; If you know you're going to be driving in icy conditions, you may consider trying to shut your ESP/Electronic Stability control off and see if you notice any improvement with the braking problem you're describing.

Last edited by Big Blue; Today at 08:08 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
I tried that already and it works the same way.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
@Jerry Dean Thomas II ; If you know you're going to be driving in icy conditions, you may consider trying to shut your ESP/Electronic Stability control off and see if you notice any improvement with the braking problem your describing.
I did try that out and I had the same response. I was reading and saw some member talking about two ways to turn it off. The obvious way is the button and then others mentioned holding the button down for 3 seconds to shut it off
Big Blue likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82 Points: 16,359, Level: 82
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Model year: 2006
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
You need to put it in neutral and hold the button 5 sec until it dings that and shows that it is off. The clicking you hear is from the ABS system trying to control wheel spin by applying the brake to the wheel that has loss traction.

Last edited by Creek; 11-05-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek View Post
You need to put it in neutral and hold the button 5 sec until it dings that and shows that it is off. The clicking you hear is from the ABS system trying to control wheel spin by applying the brake to the wheel that has loss traction.
Thank you. I had been doing some reading and came up with that as well. I'll check it out the next chance I can get.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
OBD2 or not

Quote:
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; If you know you're going to be driving in icy conditions, you may consider trying to shut your ESP/Electronic Stability control off and see if you notice any improvement with the braking problem your describing.
@Big Blue ; hello and good morning. I was up late reading the forum. Do you think it's worth it to buy the OBD2 USB cable and the software or buy a multi car OBD2 sensor that is an all in one for multiple vehicles? I live at my sisters and I'm the only one with a Jeep. The other cars would be Toyota and Chevrolet here at the house. I'm not asking you to make the decision I just wanted to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Big Blue; Yesterday at 03:55 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
@Big Blue; hello and good morning. I was up late reading the forum. Do you think it's worth it to buy the OBD2 USB cable and the software or buy a multi car OBD2 sensor that is an all in one for multiple vehicles? I live at my sisters and I'm the only one with a Jeep. The other cars would be Toyota and Chevrolet here at the house. I'm not asking you to make the decision I just wanted to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance
Which OBD-II software are you referring to? It's hard for me to say yes or no without knowing which software you are looking at.

Obviously it would have to be OBD-II software that would be good for numerous different makes of vehicles.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Which OBD-II software are you referring to? It's hard for me to say yes or no without knowing which software you are looking at.

Obviously it would have to be OBD-II software that would be good for numerous different makes of vehicles.
I am referencing the software and USB cable you had posted about the TPS system. I apologize about not being more specific. I only have time to read and comment on the page late at night after working a long day. I was just trying to ask your opinion about the software in relation to an all in one device for the system codes and such. Just asking if you thought the one you posted was any better. I'm thinking I will just save up a little more and get the device I've been contemplating. Thank you and not trying to be a bother. specially if you think it's a dumb question. No need to add more to your plate. Thanks again for commenting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in