Jeep Commander Forum banner

2007 Jeep Commander remote start not working

11K views 38 replies 4 participants last post by  Imperigal 
#1 ·
Hey there everyone.
I have been reading through all the posts that I can that pertain to my issue and some that don't. There is some great information in here but I'm hoping for a little input. My 2007 Jeep Commander is equipped with Remote start. Well the VIN number checking confirmed that originally the Jeep came with it. The Key FOB has the button for it but it's not working. Before anyone jumps the gun I have done my best to do my research but still coming up a little short on what all to check. I'll list what I have done to the Jeep since I got it back in September.
Bought at online Insurance Auction.
2007 Commander Limited 4.7L Trail Rated
127,324 miles on it
Jeep was listed as running and driving. It arrived in poor running condition.
All Dash lights were on when it did run. On testing the vehicle we found the number 7 cylinder was shot. So I bought a used motor with about the same mileage. It runs great. We replaced the oxygen sensors, some gaskets, some hoses. When we started it up after all the instal and semi rebuild of the motor it ran great but we had the ESP lights still on. The button on the information center was also stuck in place. My brother the mechanic who actually has done most of the work knew what to do. Anyhow after research and running codes we replaced the clockspring and the panel in the information center with working parts. All dash lights went out and it was doing great. Not less then two weeks of owning it some person hit the Jeep in the rear drivers side. They hit it hard enough to go under the Jeep and dent the side panel under the bumper. Destroyed the bumper and the fender flares. They blew the tire out in two places. The Jeep was pushed forward about 20 inches and was diagonal in it's parking spot. I put the spare tire on just to be able to get to work. The TPMS system now shows the passenger side rear tire not responding to the sensors or it shows 0 pressure on that side but the other 3 sides are fine.
I have also replaced the factory struts and springs and soon the rear shocks.
The Jeep runs great and is my daily driver. I know I need to do other work to it and it will all get done in time. By that I mean finishing the shocks and getting new tires and then the alignment. I will also be replacing the brakes and honestly I'm thinking of replacing the calipers.
After replacing the clockspring my brother used the scanner and checked for codes. He mentioned to me that the codes were clear except for stored codes.
I tried the remote start before the accident and it did not work.
Like I said above. I have been reading and testing out what I've read to see it it will change the remote start not working.
I've ran all code checkers to see if any active codes are displayed. There are no active codes that I can tell. I went to Autozone and had them run a scan and nothing. I ran the DTC codes this morning and nothing came up. The cycle ran complete and showed done.
This weekend I will check the hood area for some type of switch. I read in one of the threads that the hood can still be closed but have a defective switch. I think I also saw that stored codes could cause an error on the Remote start not working.
Now I bought this Jeep and it came with only one Key. The FOB has the button for the remote start but when I click it twice the doors lock and the lights come on and there is a red light on the dash that blinks and I can hear some type of click noise but it won't start.
So finally here are my questions.
1.) Do I need a second key like I've been reading for the remote start to work? If so, Is the dealership the only place I can go for the second key?
2.) Do stored codes affect the remote start to not work?
3.) Would the TPMS being jacked up cause the remote start to not work?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just from my experience with my 2010. When I got my commander (used) it had one key, remote start worked. when I've been working under the hood and forget to take the keys out of my pocket, I have a couple of times inadvertently activated the remote start. Lights flash, doors lock, a few relays click, but luckily for me the hood open switch works and the jeep does not start. My hood open switch is on the drivers side inner fender just rear of the battery.
Sounds like there was a fair amount of work under your hood, it may be as simple as the switch became unplugged during the engine swap.

#20 ·
I inspected the hood open switch this morning. I didn't trace the line to fully inspect it. I did test it by pressing it in a few times to see the release of it and the tension. it seems to be sticky but still extends. I disconnected it to inspect it further. Not knowing how a new one releases, whether it's slow to release or quick I can only say this one seems sticky. Anyhow that is all the testing I did this morning. I will continue to do more throughout the day.

#3 · (Edited)
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; O.K. so, a couple of things here;

As @Up4XK stated, I don't think you need 2 keys for the remote start to work; This is what the hood switch for the remote start system looks like (thanks to @Outlaw for the pic) and it's on the driver's side essentially right next to the battery;

Make sure the connector is connected obviously; If that switch is bad, your remote start will not operate; It's a safety feature to keep the remote start from activating while you're working under the hood.

The TPM sensor system has ZERO to do with your remote start system; one does not affect the other in any way. You can rule that one out with absolute certainty.

I've never heard of stored codes keeping the remote start system functioning, it's not impossible, but, I'd say highly unlikely.

There are a couple of other possibilities; You Key FOBIK could have a week battery - I'd get a new battery for it and try it again;

It may simply be that you Key FOBIK needs to be properly programmed to your VIN for the remote start to work; This is something that a Jeep/Chrysler dealership would definitely have to look into.

It could also be that your remote start system is disabled (turned off) in your XK's computer - in which case you could either buy the Appcar DiagFCA OBD-II Software and go into your computer/ECU and do it yourself - or the only other option would be, taking your XK to the dealership and letting them go in and check; Here is a thread with all of the information about the Appcar DiagFCA OBD-II Software - Please read the first post in the below thread before you ask any questions about the software as most question will be answered in that first post;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/74613-want-disable-your-tpm-sensors-you-need-appcar-diagfca-obd-ii-software%3B.html

#6 ·
Hi, I'll check those things out tomorrow on my day off. I was tired after work yesterday. What I meant to say about the second key was. I had read that you needed the two original keys for programming any new keys and would it possibly have anything to do with the remote start not working. Thank you guys for all the help and thanks for the photos. I'll check to see if it was disconnected.

#4 · (Edited)
Also, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, but, I just want to verify that the button your pressing for your remote start looks like this - I know you have a 2007 & I have a 2008, but, the button should look like this - or very similar;

#10 ·
Here's my Jeep before the rear end was hit. I'll take a more current photo today. I had to replace the rear bumper and the rear tire flares with junkyard parts. The fender flares in the rear now have the ornamental rivets on the flares but only in back as the junkyard didn't have the fronts to match.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
#19 ·
I did a quick inspection of the hood sensor. It seems to be sticky and slow to extend.
I did order the appcar software and will locate my brothers cable which is the one I need. I took the FOB apart to replace the battery and the plastic around the battery is broken. It seems to still work. I'm in the garage and the doors will lock from a distance of 75 ft. So I'm not sure if the battery is all that weak. Anyhow I will still buy a new battery as they aren't that much. Again I'll continue to hunt in the garage full of tools to locate my brothers cable. I did order the bluetooth connector that was suggested to use.

#23 ·
So, it seems possible that a DTC on your jeep would inhibit the remote start. I was doing some work under the hood last night, trying to chase down a noise when the commander is started. Anyway, I had the air filter tube/resonator off and the intake air temp sensor disconnected. With the hood closed I remote started, it ran for about 30 seconds, then shut off and would not re-remote start. Reassembled the the the air filter, still no remote start. I had to go get my laptop, clear the DTC from the disconnected temp sensor, then it remote started just fine.

Reactions: Big Blue
#28 · (Edited)
Very nice; I did mine this past May and posted a pretty detailed how-to in the Regular Service/Maintenance sub-forum; I think it cost me about $7.00 for the 3 replacement bulbs that I had to order from Radio Shack; I only had one bulb that was burnt out, but, since I was going through the hassle of taking it all apart, I figured I'd replace all 3 bulbs while I was in there.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...ontrol-knobs-dash-light-bulb-replacement.html

#29 ·
Other then a physical mechanical error the only thing I am seeing that it could be stopping the remote start is the park assist error. That plus the Hvac error that is popping up. There are two DTC codes the park assist and the Hvac. I will change out to the older hvac unit that the lights were not repaired on and see if it's still sending out codes.

#32 ·
#36 ·
So if the latch doesn't fix the problem then I'm almost back to square one. I figure I'll have to locate the control unit and test it and then trace the wires and inspect them for damage. I still have the park assist issue. Due to having to replace the rear bumper cover and repairing the module clips we don't think it's the sensors but the main park assist control module that is the fault. I have no dash lights showing an error. I have no lights on the rear inside and there is no sound when in reverse and close to anything. Thankfully my driving is pretty decent and I don't need the park assist. I'm only focusing on it because it is an error in the system and I'm hoping it will help cure the remote start not working. This weekend I will work on it some more when I have a day off from work.

#37 ·
Well the hood latch didn't fix my problem with my factory remote start. I'll do more research to locate where the control module is and check that out.
I've replaced:
Hood latch switch
No DTC codes stored or active
Battery is up to charge
Tank is full with fuel.
Doors locked
In park
New battery in FOB
I have checked and double checked all the common things that stop it from working.
I'm waiting until the last minute to go to the dealership to check the programming on the only key I have. I'm waiting because the dealership charges you for everything. I think sometimes they charge you for the air you breath in their lobby. lol

Can anyone think of anything that I might be missing.
Thank you

#38 ·
Well the hood latch didn't fix my problem with my factory remote start. I'll do more research to locate where the control module is and check that out.
I've replaced:
Hood latch switch
No DTC codes stored or active
Battery is up to charge
Tank is full with fuel.
Doors locked
In park
New battery in FOB
I have checked and double checked all the common things that stop it from working.
I'm waiting until the last minute to go to the dealership to check the programming on the only key I have. I'm waiting because the dealership charges you for everything. I think sometimes they charge you for the air you breath in their lobby. lol

Can anyone think of anything that I might be missing.
Thank you
Have you checked all the fuses in the junction block?

In particular the fuse for the Module-Sentry Key Remote Entry?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.