Jeep Commander Forum banner

Jeep Clips

7K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
Hey there again.
First off let me mention that I have not gone to the dealership to see if I can find the clips that I need. Second off I have looked on the Mopar website and came up empty handed. I have also looked on Chrysler parts . com and didn't have any luck there.
My Jeep was rear ended in a hit and run accident. I replaced the damaged bumper cover with a used one from the junkyard. I am having to do some minor cosmetic work on it with the paint. Anyhow, my issue is with the retaining clips that hold it together. I have the main ones that I need but there are a few that I can't seem to locate. I'll do my best to describe them. The clips in question go to the bottom of the flare that connects to the rear doors. There is a plastic piece that goes under the flare that has rubber weather guard on it to prevent water and mud from getting inside the flare. Anyhow the underneath part needs a type of flat head clip due to going flush up against the rubber weather guard strip. I won't be able to connect the flare securely due to not having the right clips. The other clips are just the plastic rivets and the standard rectangular push clips. I'll post a few pictures to see if that helps out.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
The flare is two parts and I apologize before hand if I don't call them by their proper name. The inner flare support and weatherstrip also connects to the bottom of the outer door flare. All the clips I have seen will go into the weatherstrip and break it down over time. The weatherstrip shows no sign of touching anything that would stress it out over time. Her is another photo.

Attachments

#11 ·
Here is a close up of the inside where the clip would go. I don't see any sign of abrasion that would show a plastic rivet touching the rubber. While at the junkyard I was more concerned with getting the parts off. My brother - the mechanic- insists they are a flat top clip so they don't tear into the rubber. I don't seem to have any of the old clips to go by. The original door flare was tore off in the accident and left with the driver.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hi, yes those are for the main areas and those clips I already have. The ones I need are for the bottom. They have a flat head on them. Just so they don't rub up against the rubber weatherstrip inside of the flare.

We are just going to customize the clips so that it keeps the mud and such out of the flares.

Thank you Spraygun

#15 ·
You could stop by a body repair shop or dealer with your Commander and trim piece and see if they have the clips.

Reactions: Big Blue
#26 ·
So here are a few photos I took in an effort to explain this some more. I held the two piece door flare up against the door to take these photos. The circled areas show where two of the clips go I didn't circle the area where the rubber is touching the plastic where the fastener would go. The inner piece gets attached first and then the outer flare goes on and they fasten together at the bottom to be secure.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Part of the problem is I've never had a reason to take my fender flares off, so, I don't really know what I should be looking for;

From what I can discern from those pics, that looks like it should be nothing more than a simple plastic pushpin that would hold the inner to the outer - unless there is something else I'm just not seeing.

Based on your pics, this looks like the most likely candidate;

https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-...84-1-1--194-2&vehicleName=2008+Jeep+Commander

#29 ·
I bought these rivets at NAPA after the dealer placed on fender flare using generic rivets, which had smaller heads. I found the correct rivets at at another dealer which charged me over 8 dollars per rivet. The rivets from Napa was an exact match. There were 20 in a pack which cost under 12 dollars. Part number was #770-2871. Sorry to say that this was in 06. I still have rivets left in the original box so if you need the dimensions I can give them to you.

#34 ·
The rivets I sent were not what Jerry is looking for, he needs the ones that fasten the the flare to the rear door not the revits that fasten the wheel well to to the flare. If this is correct Jerry go to Harbor Freight and look at their item 97757 which is a hand riveter. It looks to have 2 sizes rivets that fit the outside and inside of your flare. Look it up on line if that does not work let me know. I know that the larger rivets fit the outside flare to wheel well. the smaller rivets in the pack look like the rivets on my XK.

#35 ·
I have the rivets that connect the flare to the vehicle door. What I don't have are the flat head rivet/fasteners that connect the inner weather seal/flare support to each other on the bottom track of the door/flare. I'll work on it today and get one side put back together and customize the bottom to be supported and I'll take photos. Right now I'm leaving home to take the dogs to the groomers.

THANK YOU to everyone that has posted on this thread and I apologize if I'm driving you crazy

#36 ·
The rivets that I showed you previously are the ones you need for the flairs. Here is another picture showing you how it works. I have had all my flares off and apart. And I've replaced all the rivets on the entire vehicle, with the two sizes I have shown you.
This will work for you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 10+ using speech to text

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.