Help: Roaring Noise after Fan Clutch Replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,532, Level: 30 Points: 2,532, Level: 30 Points: 2,532, Level: 30
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Garage
Help: Roaring Noise after Fan Clutch Replacement

I have an 06 Commander with the 4.7 V8. Started overheating about a week ago, never got into the red on the temp gauge, but went about 3/4.

Took it to my mechanic and he diagnosed bad fan clutch. Replaced it along with the t-stat and did a coolant system flush.

Ever since I picked it up, it has been making an awful roaring noise, and seems to have almost zero low end torque.

Taking it back today, but wondering if there is any advice out there? Possible wrong unit? installed incorrectly? (I do not know for sure, but i doubt they used genuine Mopar fan clutch)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Commander
-4.7 QTII
-RC lift
-1.25" wheel spacers
-Mopar steel skid plates
-Pinch weld mod
-K&N CAI
-Superchips 91oct tune
-Gibson 3" Cat Back
-2016 Rubicon Wheels
-BFG Mud Terrains 255-75-17
-Bull Bar

OTHER RIDES
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3 Points: 165, Level: 3
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 150k
Sorry to bring up an old/dead thread or post but this answer may help others.

I'm sure the original poster had the problem fixed or figured it out by now obviously but in case someone else searches for this issue and those related to it and that roaring noise, hopefully this can help them in their journey as I hope to find some help in mine with my roaring issue.

That being said, what probably happened here was that your mechanic most likely installed a "heavy duty" or "sever duty" clutch that constantly works in such a manner that it is always engaged and turns the fan faster/more for vehicles that are always towing or carrying heavy loads or are in super hot climates etc.

the severe duty clutch engages sooner and or is always engaged and sounds like you are driving a tank or like a jet engine etc

you have to be sure to get the normal duty one which is sometimes able to be found by noticing that the words "heavy/severe" duty are not listed.

hope this helps someone out there.

20Q8 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8
Master Certified Backyard Mechanic
Pro-Am Youtube DIYer
Christian |Dad of Boys | Mortgage Broker | Digital Marketer |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Psalm 16:11
#WWG1WGA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in