Front end noise help please - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,372, Level: 36 Points: 3,372, Level: 36 Points: 3,372, Level: 36
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 165,000
Front end noise help please

Hi, looking for suggestions on a front end noise.

The noise to me sounds like a CV going bad coming from the front and somewhat around the center of the truck. The noise does not occur in the first 5minutes or so of driving and progressively gets worse as I drive more. So I had a buddy install a drive shaft from Detroit axle. There seemed to be maybe a minor change in noise so possibly had two problems. Next I had a buddy replace the front diff mount as I read that can be cause of noise and the stock mount didnít look too healthy, this had no change. Recently had the passenger side half shaft replaced and looking at doing the driver side next, unless someone has a good suggestion, really looking for any input.

Itís a 2007 with 165,000 miles. The noise is somewhere between a clicking and clunking noise and a bit metallic, and does not occur when cold, also does not change when turning. Seems to be loudest when off the throttle and gets quieter when gas applied.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I was just reading a post by badPatrick that sounds very similar to what my Jeep is doing and people were suggesting diff bearings. I donít know what a diff bearing sounds like going bad. If the diff is drained and the bearings are going out would metal debris come out with the oil? Any way to check the diff bearings without replacing them?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,181, Level: 93 Points: 23,181, Level: 93 Points: 23,181, Level: 93
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse46 View Post

The noise to me sounds like a CV going bad coming from the front and somewhat around the center of the truck. The noise does not occur in the first 5minutes or so of driving and progressively gets worse as I drive more. So I had a buddy install a drive shaft from Detroit axle. There seemed to be maybe a minor change in noise so possibly had two problems. Next I had a buddy replace the front diff mount as I read that can be cause of noise and the stock mount didn’t look too healthy, this had no change. Recently had the passenger side half shaft replaced and looking at doing the driver side next, unless someone has a good suggestion, really looking for any input.

It’s a 2007 with 165,000 miles. The noise is somewhere between a clicking and clunking noise and a bit metallic, and does not occur when cold, also does not change when turning. Seems to be loudest when off the throttle and gets quieter when gas applied.

Thanks for any help
My first guess would be your upper front differential bushing - a common point of wear on Commanders & Grand Cherokees alike.

Do me a favor please & update your user profile.....

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...uncements.html

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

4WD
The upper front differential bushing has been replaced,there was no change.
I referred to it as a diff mount.

Thanks for your re,and will do.

Last edited by synapse46; 04-03-2018 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53 Points: 6,718, Level: 53
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Garage
What you're describing does sound like a binding CV. I've never heard of anyone replacing a front differential bearing, and typically a bearing noise would be more of a constant howl or whine than a regular clunking, since there isn't much movement even in a worn bearing. A failed inboard CV would cause a pretty regular clunk at low speeds, and the clunk would definitely speed up with wheel speed.

Draining your diff will definitely help narrow down your search though. Badly worn gears can also cause a clunk and will definitely show up in your oil.

2006 XK Limited, Hemi, QDII
245/70R17 General Grabber AT2s
Ported/Polished Throttle Body
Flowmaster Super 44
Stock Height Again (For Now)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Points: 1,656, Level: 23 Points: 1,656, Level: 23 Points: 1,656, Level: 23
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 136,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse46 View Post

The noise to me sounds like a CV going bad coming from the front and somewhat around the center of the truck. The noise does not occur in the first 5minutes or so of driving and progressively gets worse as I drive more. So I had a buddy install a drive shaft from Detroit axle. There seemed to be maybe a minor change in noise so possibly had two problems. Next I had a buddy replace the front diff mount as I read that can be cause of noise and the stock mount didnít look too healthy, this had no change. Recently had the passenger side half shaft replaced and looking at doing the driver side next, unless someone has a good suggestion, really looking for any input.

Itís a 2007 with 165,000 miles. The noise is somewhere between a clicking and clunking noise and a bit metallic, and does not occur when cold, also does not change when turning. Seems to be loudest when off the throttle and gets quieter when gas applied.

Thanks for any help
I have this EXACT noise going on with mine. Sounds like mine is on the passenger side though. I've replaced the CV shaft and changed the wheel bearing last night, but the sound is still there. I've literally replaced everything else on the front end but the drivers side CV shaft, so it all has been checked! Ha.

I would like to think if it was driveline related, it would get worse with speed and be getting worse over time. Mine has been doing it for the last few months and the noise has not changed and I can get it to do it almost on demand at this point.

Really was hoping it was the wheel bearing, but now I'm just racking my brain trying to figure it out. You aren't alone!

2010 XK Sport w/ HEMI and QTII
Rough Country 2" Spacer Lift
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
K&N Cold Air Intake
Superchips TrailDash 2
MBRP 3" Cat Back Exhaust
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Points: 2,229, Level: 28 Points: 2,229, Level: 28 Points: 2,229, Level: 28
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

4WD
Current Mileage: 123000
metallic noise that changes during torque load sounds like typical Ujoint failure. Grab the driveshaft and twist a few rounds in each direction with the tires lifted, ideally without unloading the sus . You might feel the clicking of a bindup or dry bearing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Points: 4,372, Level: 42 Points: 4,372, Level: 42 Points: 4,372, Level: 42
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
You said you already have a new driveshaft installed- which driveshaft? Unless you did both, it could be the u-joints in the one you didn't replace. The front shaft is pretty much right under your seat, and could sound like the middle of the vehicle.

My experience with axle/driveline noise on other vehicles/jeeps is that CVs, unless totally destroyed, make the most noise when turning, or at least have a change when turning. You say nothing changes when turning, so I want to rule out the CVs.

Diff bearings and wheel bearings usually make different noises depending on acceleration or deceleration, or high load, coasting, cruising, turning (side load), etc. However, my experience with these issues was on solid axles, but i would assume the concept is the same. While I've yet to hear about diff issues specifically with the XKs here (unless offroaded really hard), that doesn't mean it can't happen. Also, these noises are more "whirring" or "growling", not really any clicking or clunking unless you have a broken tooth in the diff....which, i seriously doubt you have.

I had a front wheel bearing go out in one of my old XJs that sounds like what you're describing, but that was a solid axle with (i think) a type of ball bearing, so completely different than ours. It was very obvious where from exactly when i was driving with the windows down next to a wall or large, flat surface; like a concrete bridge barrier or highway divider.

Check out this page with descriptions of diff and driveline noises, pretty accurate: Diagnosing Differential Noise
Big Blue and Stircrayzy like this.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Points: 296, Level: 5 Points: 296, Level: 5 Points: 296, Level: 5
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
Current Mileage: 180000
Garage
Hi,

my Commander had a clicking or rattling sound coming from the front. It was only heard under load even if just slightly toutched the accelerator i heard the noise. It was the front differential. I bought a differential from junkyard and it was silent afther the swap. There was no howling noise or something smiliar to the bearing noise just strange clicking.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Points: 1,656, Level: 23 Points: 1,656, Level: 23 Points: 1,656, Level: 23
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 136,000
Mine will only make the noise when I let off to coast or when I'm cruising at a constant speed. There is absolutely no noise whatsoever when under acceleration or braking. I've been working this problem heavily for a few weeks. I have checked my front driveshaft for excessive play, but found no issues that I could tell were causing the noise. I'm certain the noise is in the front end. It is a very intermittent popping noise and will only happen in a straight line while cruising. The noise hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed it.

2010 XK Sport w/ HEMI and QTII
Rough Country 2" Spacer Lift
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
K&N Cold Air Intake
Superchips TrailDash 2
MBRP 3" Cat Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in