Jeep Commander Forum banner

Front end wobble/ clunking with large bumps

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DaNiMaL916 
#1 ·
So I've had a few times while at relatively high speeds and I've hit a large pothole or gradient change in the road surface and my front end seems to shimmy quite a bit and even a couple times I've got a loud clunking sound from what it felt like near my transmission/ floorpan area. The sound got so bad a couple times that I slowed to a stop, checked the undercarriage to make sure nothing was dragging or broken to find nothing. I've read the sound could be exhaust brackets popping off and rubbing the drive shaft but I haven't noticed any damage. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Possibly alignment for the shimmy would be my guess, or old (not necessarily worn) tires. Maybe even worn bushings in the steering somewhere. I think I get it some times as well and these are all the things I've considered knowing that all these things on mine are getting a little long in the tooth.

For the clunk, check out where the exhaust goes over the transmission support beam. Right under the passenger front seat, in front of the muffler. There is an exhaust bracket up there that mounts to the transmission. May be an issue with that bracket. There's also not a lot of clearance for the pipe at that tranny support. I actually had to "crush" that beam about a 1/2-3/4" for my aftermarket mids to not constantly rattle and bang on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.