Overheats Going into the Mountains - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,412, Level: 47 Points: 5,412, Level: 47 Points: 5,412, Level: 47
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 72% Activity: 72% Activity: 72%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 157k
Overheats Going into the Mountains

Hey all. So two questions, one quick and one not so quick:

1. Has anyone used a coolant system flush product on their XK/WK? Is it safe or am I risking further damage?
2. I think I have a clogged radiator - Would you agree? Short version: Overheats under any kind of sustained load. Long version below.

Could of quick details: My XK eats water pumps. I'm on number...4? in ~100k miles. I am well versed in how to fill/bleed the XK and know the symptoms that are shown when it is not done properly.

Synopsis: Coolant and thermostat was changed ~40k ago. Water pump was about ~15k ago. Last year we attempted to take the XK for a day trip into the mountains, and ventured up I-70 from Denver. XK ended up running very hot (5/8-3/4 on the temp gauge) near the end of the first hill, so I rolled we windows down and ran the heater. Ambient temp was in the 70s. The next hill was worse, so we canceled our trip into the mountains and went home. The jeep was not loaded down by any stretch.

Took a road trip a month ago. Flat highway, 100 degree temps, the XK doesn't really care. I think it is running hotter than normal, but still ok. Took it up into the mountains again today on a road it didn't previously have a problem with - traffic moves well, grade is reasonable, and temps aren't high. Traffic slowed to 25mph on the last hill and the Jeep started to climb in temps again. Once again, not loaded down. I can confirm the fan is coming on appropriately, the system is properly bled/burped, and all fluid levels are good.

I'm fairly convinced the radiator is operating at a very reduced efficiency due to buildup. As long as there is enough airflow and not an engine load, it'll do fine. But as soon as the load is higher than usual and/or airflow becomes even a whiff of an issue, temps start to climb. I'd really like to fix this b/c I want to be able to take day trips into the mountains and explore with my family, and this is the only vehicle that can transport my son. I can confirm the issue is also getting worse.

I'm ready to order a new rad and spend a weekend replacing it myself, unless anybody else has any better ideas. Also, tempted to try a 'flush' product but I'm not sure how bad of an idea that is.

Thanks!

Edit: Order new rad and thermostat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
@Aerogt01 What kind of coolant are you using?

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Zerex G-05
jeep5253 likes this.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:57 AM
Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%

4WD
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
I'd do a new radiator. The jeep is old enough and with it running this hot this many times, those plastic sides have probably gotten pretty weak and could crack at any time. Honestly after that many water pumps, I would have already done the radiator.
I know it's probably dumb saying this...but make sure you haven't been putting the thermostat in backwards
Try a pressure test on the system as well, if you haven't already.

Another thought- does the engine actually FEEL really hot? Maybe see how much a new temp sensor is...it could just be incorrect readings. I used to have these read wrong ALL the time on my old XJs. On the 5.7 engines the sensor is really easy to get to. Not sure where it is on the 4.7, though.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Points: 4,977, Level: 45 Points: 4,977, Level: 45 Points: 4,977, Level: 45
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 253,000
Sounds like you have a huge mess on your hands.
Since you're on your fourth water pump. Is there any chance you've been changing brands of antifreeze? Some antifreezes are not compatible. And they will cause jelling.
That's the only thing that I can think of, that would cause your radiator to clog up. Or you have severe corrosion inside your system.
Also, could your thermostat be installed backwards?
And why are your water pumps failing?
Are you buying quality pumps? And are they being installed properly?
You have a lot of things to look at.
Before you put that new radiator in there. I definitely would make sure you don't have any jelly or corrosion particles inside your engine. And I would take a peek at that thermostat to. Better safe than sorry. It's just two screws. Get a paint strainer and strain all your antifreeze that you can get out of the car. That way you can inspect for particles and jell there too.
As far as flushing goes. I'll let other folks chime in on that. I'm sure opinions will vary.
Just don't ruin your new radiator.
And running hotter than normal is not okay.
Also make sure there's no rats nest or build up between your condenser and your radiator.
That could be your only problem. A vehicle eating up water pumps as a big concern though.
I'm sure they're many more variables that we can think of here. But I'm just trying to state some obvious stuff.
Just my 2 centavos.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text
Wombler and Big Blue like this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraygun View Post
Sounds like you have a huge mess on your hands.
Since you're on your fourth water pump. Is there any chance you've been changing brands of antifreeze? Some antifreezes are not compatible. And they will cause jelling.
That's the only thing that I can think of, that would cause your radiator to clog up. Or you have severe corrosion inside your system.
Also, could your thermostat be installed backwards?
And why are your water pumps failing?
Are you buying quality pumps? And are they being installed properly?
You have a lot of things to look at.
Before you put that new radiator in there. I definitely would make sure you don't have any jelly or corrosion particles inside your engine. And I would take a peek at that thermostat to. Better safe than sorry. It's just two screws. Get a paint strainer and strain all your antifreeze that you can get out of the car. That way you can inspect for particles and jell there too.
As far as flushing goes. I'll let other folks chime in on that. I'm sure opinions will vary.
Just don't ruin your new radiator.
And running hotter than normal is not okay.
Also make sure there's no rats nest or build up between your condenser and your radiator.
That could be your only problem. A vehicle eating up water pumps as a big concern though.
I'm sure they're many more variables that we can think of here. But I'm just trying to state some obvious stuff.
Just my 2 centavos.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text
Yaa, x2 for all this. I didn't even think about possible jelling....

Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
Zerex G-05
Good! That is the correct coolant.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:32 PM
Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11 Points: 596, Level: 11
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

4WD
Current Mileage: 125,000
Garage
I fought an issue like this on a motorhome once. The radiator looked clean from behind and inside but after everything else was done I decided to pull it and have it cleaned or replaced. Once I separated the ac condenser, I found the radiator was completely covered/caked with dust allowing almost no air to pass through. Appherently had some oil spoiled on it that collected the dust.
Worth a look even though it's a pain to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 Commander Limited Hemi 5.7 QDII on Amsoil. Trail Dash 2, 2" RC lift, 1.25" whl spacers, 265/70R17 Pirelli Scorpion AT+
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Yaa, x2 for all this. I didn't even think about possible jelling....
Embarrassing secret: about 80k ago I did top off with universal coolant. Flushed twice since. Also, a shop that did a wp replacement two pumps ago used universal, and I made them dump it and use the right stuff before I took delivery.

I was looking at the Zerex super clean product and figured I might as well give it a shot. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for all your input so far.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:38 PM

4WD
Garage
I've never really heard anything bad about flush systems. Just speaking in general for any coolant system- no specific vehicles.
Just gotta make sure you read all the label specifics on the stuff and make sure you aren't using with other products that can make worse, or systems it shouldn't be used in....since our's is a little weird with the 3rd row system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in