Battery Light on/ Rough Idle - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Points: 761, Level: 14 Points: 761, Level: 14 Points: 761, Level: 14
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 145000
Garage
Battery Light on/ Rough Idle

The other night i was driving home and the battery light came on. It turned off the fog lights.
When i got to the store i turned it off and went inside. When i came back out and started it up, I noticed the battery light wasnt on, but i had a little bit of a rough idle. NO OTHER LIGHTS ON.
I drove it towards home and after about 2 minutes the battery light comes back on. Drove fine. No noticeable acceleration issues. When i got home and put in in reverse to back in drive way, still had a noticeable rough engine.
Took it to the Auto Zone and had them check the battery/Alternator/Starter. ALL PASSED the check.
Every time i shut it off the battery lights goes out. Comes back on after 1-2 minutes of driving. Still notice rough idle especially in reverse. No check engine light. Only battery/

I cant get it into the dealership till the 22nd. I dont plan on driving it much till then, but anyone have any suggestions> PCM??
Just had a tune up/Plugs/ Oil Change last month.

2006 Commander Limited. 4.7 146000. No other issues runs & sounds great. Regular dealer maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67628894_2289488554700351_3145984791799660544_n.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	34317  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said of the Jeep Commander, "That vehicle was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them"

That attitude is why Fiat was failing....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jeff Crooks; 08-06-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,488, Level: 92 Points: 21,488, Level: 92 Points: 21,488, Level: 92
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crooks View Post
The other night i was driving home and the battery light came on. It turned off the fog lights.
When i got to the store i turned it off and went inside. When i came back out and started it up, I noticed the battery light wasnt on, but i had a little bit of a rough idle. NO OTHER LIGHTS ON.
I drove it towards home and after about 2 minutes the battery light comes back on. Drove fine. No noticeable acceleration issues. When i got home and put in in reverse to back in drive way, still had a noticeable rough engine.
Took it to the Auto Zone and had them check the battery/Alternator/Starter. ALL PASSED the check.
Every time i shut it off the battery lights goes out. Comes back on after 1-2 minutes of driving. Still notice rough idle especially in reverse. No check engine light. Only battery/

I cant get it into the dealership till the 22nd. I dont plan on driving it much till then, but anyone have any suggestions> PCM??
Just had a tune up/Plugs/ Oil Change last month.

2006 Commander Limited. 4.7 146000. No other issues runs & sounds great. Regular dealer maintenance.
So I'm guessing you are not have any DTC's generated in the EVIC? Have you tried the "key dance" (you just have to turn the key on/off 3 times and then leave it at run) to check?

Right off the top of my head, there is a yellow wire that attaches to the starter that is known for corrosion which can cause battery/grounding issues; I'd check that wire and if you see ANY corrosion, disconnect your battery, disconnect that yellow wire and thoroughly wire brush and clean all the corrosion off of that yellow wire/connection and reconnect it, then reconnect your battery and see if there are any changes.
Jeff Crooks likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-06-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41 Points: 4,295, Level: 41
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 94% Activity: 94% Activity: 94%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 113676
Garage
In addition to Blue's suggestions, I was getting this light intermittently after my engine rebuild.
Turns out I had broken the lock tab on the 2-wire harness that plugs into the alternator. NOT the main wire that feeds power to the battery. I guess these smaller wires feed voltage data and other alternator data to the PCM. Since I had broken that lock tab, the plug was loosing connection. I wasn't really loosing charging voltage to the system, but the PCM was thinking there was an alternator issue and giving me the little Lighting Bolt idiot light. So have a check of that plug, too.
Big Blue and Jeff Crooks like this.

2006 Dark Khaki Limited, Hemi, QD-II w/ all the options.
Inertia Performance Heads, Full SRT 6.1 Valve Train, Custom Crower Cam, Double Roller Timing Set, Trend Performance forged Pushrods, High PSI Oil Pump, ARH Long Tube Headers and Mids, Borla Catback, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AEM X-Series WB UEGO & 100psi Oil Guages, PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors, MDS On Light, Kenwood in-dash Nav, HID Projectors and full LED lighting upgrade

Need to get it on a dyno....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Big Blue, It threw a DTC 0300 code (Cylinder misfire) last month which made me do the tune up/plug change at the dealership. (I have friends that work there. They treat me great)
The misfire engine light reset immediately after i shut it off and restarted it. I could definitely tell it misfired. Chug, chug, chug. It will do this sometimes IF i start it and throw it into drive too quick.
IF i start it and let sit for 3-4 seconds before selecting a gear, it runs GREAT. It does not do it everytime i do that. I just learned not to start and go as quick.
It has not thrown a code since then. been approximately 500 miles since then.
With the Battery Light & rough idle, there has been no engine codes at all.

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said of the Jeep Commander, "That vehicle was unfit for human consumption. We sold some. But I don't know why people bought them"

Last edited by Jeff Crooks; 08-07-2019 at 04:18 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Big Blue, It threw a DTC 0300 code (Cylinder misfire) last month which made me do the tune up/plug change at the dealership. (I have friends that work there. They treat me great)
The misfire engine light reset immediately after i shut it off and restarted it. I could definitely tell it misfired. Chug, chug, chug. It will do this sometimes IF i start it and throw it into drive too quick.
IF i start it and let sit for 3-4 seconds before selecting a gear, it runs GREAT. It does not do it everytime i do that. I just learned not to start and go as quick.
It has not thrown a code since then. been approximately 500 miles since then.
With the Battery Light & rough idle, there has been no engine codes at all.
Did you check the yellow wire that attaches to the starter for corrosion?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:14 AM
Points: 3,522, Level: 37 Points: 3,522, Level: 37 Points: 3,522, Level: 37
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

4WD
Current Mileage: 135000
Mine did this a while back. It ended up being the alternator failing. It was putting out too much not too little. The alternator was very warm as well. Took a while to diagnose failing "high". Check battery and serpentine belt if you need to replace alternator.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
I work 12-hour days and I've been spending time with my wife. I've not been able to really look at the Commander yet. I plan on it this weekend at some point. I will check the yellow wire on the starter and I will also have the alternator checked again with the light still on. How would either of these conditions cause the rough idle? I find it odd that both of these conditions occurred it exactly the same time but I really don't know how they are related.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Big Blue likes this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I work 12-hour days and I've been spending time with my wife. I've not been able to really look at the Commander yet. I plan on it this weekend at some point. I will check the yellow wire on the starter and I will also have the alternator checked again with the light still on. How would either of these conditions cause the rough idle? I find it odd that both of these conditions occurred it exactly the same time but I really don't know how they are related.

I work 12 - 15 hour days 7 days a week, so, I know where you're coming from.

Corrosion on the yellow wire going to your starter could potentially cause a lower than normal voltage output coming from your battery, as well as a potential grounding problem which could affect your engine's idle and/or make it idle rough.

You also mentioned that your battery light comes on right? Often caused by lower than normal voltage coming from your battery.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem, but, it's something worth checking. If you don't want to check it, that's up to you - just trying to help.
Jeff Crooks likes this.

Last edited by Big Blue; 08-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Garage
Guess Imma have to put it off till next week. I guess we're leaving town tomorrow for our anniversary. Can you think of any reason not to really drive it? And other than the rough idle when you stop and the battery light it drives fine has been for two weeks now. I'm not taking it out of town but back and forth to work

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Points: 2,150, Level: 27 Points: 2,150, Level: 27 Points: 2,150, Level: 27
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 88% Activity: 88% Activity: 88%

4WD
Current Mileage: 123000
Quote:
Can you think of any reason not to really drive it?
Not as long as you leave yourself time to walk to work if something finally fails.
You have warning signs of a failure, which is a luxury in my mind.
Usually when im in your situation, i throw my bike in the back, or on my rack, just so i can get to work if something goes wrong.
Jeff Crooks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in