Rough idle / Stalling in fact was a bad PCM (4.7L) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dadwagon85
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
 
Dadwagon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Asheville
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 130000
Posts: 5
Garage
Rough idle / Stalling in fact was a bad PCM (4.7L)

Over the past couple months my jeep started running super rough. It really happen as temps warmed up above 80 this summer. So, basically would drive to work in the a.m. have no issues at all with the Jeep. Leave work to go home, 30 min. drive 3:30 pm most days. About 20 min into the drive I would get a really bad sputter on acceleration and sometimes stall out at red lights. After a few bad stalls I started to diagnose via this site and youtube etc...

Most obvious to me and looking back at past car issues, I immediately went to the plugs a coil packs. Replaced all eight. Although the engine definitely was firing better the sputter and stall did not stop on the hot days. (Total:$150)

Next, being hopeful that I was not going to have to go through one of these dealership nightmare stories I keep reading over and over again with this model Jeep, I replaced the battery. My battery was old and I figure hell, weak battery can cause all kinds of issues($150)
still no luck same issue persist.

Ok... so what's next that wont cost me a thousand dollars? start checking sensors and replace TPS($30) because I read one thread that said this was the issue for the owner. Still.. NO luck. At this time I'm freaking out because I'm really left no option but to go to the mechanic.
My mechanic is great and super helpful. Also has the full Snap-on diagnostic equipment you need to run live diag. when the car is running. If you are dealing with similar issues I suggest finding a mechanic with this equipment. Anyway, mechanic gave it a run through and the diag. came back with a mis-fire code in every cylinder... not good. He explained to me that it would be nearly impossible for this to happen mechanically or at least he never seen it. 1,2,3 different cylinders sure. All... no way. This is what led him to the conclusion of a BAD PCM. He then explained that the only way to get a working updated PCM that will 100% work for your car is to go to the dealership.Because I was getting ready to spend lord knows how much at the dealer, lukily mechanic did not charge. (I dropped a case a beer of later on)

So here I am $350 in give or take and now HAVE to go to the dealership.
At the dealership I explained the whole story and provided print out of Diagnostics from my local mechanic. They responded "we will need you to o.k. at least 2 hours of diagnostic time at $120 / hr." So with little choice I did that. They called a couple hours later and confirmed again it was in fact the PCM. They ordered the part from factory in ATL and installed. I picked my car up the next morning. PCM install from dealership $800.

I just took a 10 hour round trip with the Jeep loaded to the max pulling a pop-up camper through SC with outside temps 100+ at times and my Jeep did fantastic.
3 weeks its been now, Jeep runs better than ever. Hope this may help someone in the future. Cheers!
jeep5253 likes this.
Dadwagon85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,263, Level: 100 Points: 59,263, Level: 100 Points: 59,263, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
jeep5253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Posts: 14,875
Thanks for the write-up @Dadwagon85 . Glad you got the problem fixed. You say you were in SC. Did you by any chance go to Myrtle Beach?

.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 08-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.
jeep5253 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,235, Level: 93 Points: 23,235, Level: 93 Points: 23,235, Level: 93
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Posts: 5,320
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadwagon85 View Post
Over the past couple months my jeep started running super rough. It really happen as temps warmed up above 80 this summer. So, basically would drive to work in the a.m. have no issues at all with the Jeep. Leave work to go home, 30 min. drive 3:30 pm most days. About 20 min into the drive I would get a really bad sputter on acceleration and sometimes stall out at red lights. After a few bad stalls I started to diagnose via this site and youtube etc...

Most obvious to me and looking back at past car issues, I immediately went to the plugs a coil packs. Replaced all eight. Although the engine definitely was firing better the sputter and stall did not stop on the hot days. (Total:$150)

Next, being hopeful that I was not going to have to go through one of these dealership nightmare stories I keep reading over and over again with this model Jeep, I replaced the battery. My battery was old and I figure hell, weak battery can cause all kinds of issues($150)
still no luck same issue persist.

Ok... so what's next that wont cost me a thousand dollars? start checking sensors and replace TPS($30) because I read one thread that said this was the issue for the owner. Still.. NO luck. At this time I'm freaking out because I'm really left no option but to go to the mechanic.
My mechanic is great and super helpful. Also has the full Snap-on diagnostic equipment you need to run live diag. when the car is running. If you are dealing with similar issues I suggest finding a mechanic with this equipment. Anyway, mechanic gave it a run through and the diag. came back with a mis-fire code in every cylinder... not good. He explained to me that it would be nearly impossible for this to happen mechanically or at least he never seen it. 1,2,3 different cylinders sure. All... no way. This is what led him to the conclusion of a BAD PCM. He then explained that the only way to get a working updated PCM that will 100% work for your car is to go to the dealership.Because I was getting ready to spend lord knows how much at the dealer, lukily mechanic did not charge. (I dropped a case a beer of later on)

So here I am $350 in give or take and now HAVE to go to the dealership.
At the dealership I explained the whole story and provided print out of Diagnostics from my local mechanic. They responded "we will need you to o.k. at least 2 hours of diagnostic time at $120 / hr." So with little choice I did that. They called a couple hours later and confirmed again it was in fact the PCM. They ordered the part from factory in ATL and installed. I picked my car up the next morning. PCM install from dealership $800.

I just took a 10 hour round trip with the Jeep loaded to the max pulling a pop-up camper through SC with outside temps 100+ at times and my Jeep did fantastic.
3 weeks its been now, Jeep runs better than ever. Hope this may help someone in the future. Cheers!
This reiterates a point I tell a lot of our new members;

As much as people hate to shell out the money to go to the dealership, sometimes you have to bite the bullet; A lot of times you can do more harm than good trying to troubleshoot, diagnose & fix the issue yourself, unless you are a certified mechanic.

Glad to hear that your XK is in tip-top shape again.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Blue is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 PM
Member
Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 157k
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
As much as people hate to shell out the money to go to the dealership, sometimes you have to bite the bullet; A lot of times you can do more harm than good trying to troubleshoot, diagnose & fix the issue yourself, unless you are a certified mechanic.
The only dealership I had successfully diag anything correctly failed to make sure they had a TC seal before cracking it open, then the seal was back ordered and they kept the truck for 3 weeks.

Not to mention the factory service manual itself has failed me at least once already when trying to diag a 4wd issue.

I could have bought my own Snap-on scanner and STILL saved money vs what the dealer wanted to charge to solve that 4wd issue, and all that was actually needed was a multimeter, some common sense, and a new T-switch.

Last edited by Aerogt01; 08-19-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Aerogt01 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,235, Level: 93 Points: 23,235, Level: 93 Points: 23,235, Level: 93
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Posts: 5,320
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
The only dealership I had successfully diag anything correctly failed to make sure they had a TC seal before cracking it open, then the seal was back ordered and they kept the truck for 3 weeks.

Not to mention the factory service manual itself has failed me at least once already when trying to diag a 4wd issue.

I could have bought my own Snap-on scanner and STILL saved money vs what the dealer wanted to charge to solve that 4wd issue, and all that was actually needed was a multimeter, some common sense, and a new T-switch.
Unfortunately there are always going to be good dealership experiences and bad ones; But a good dealership is worth their weight in gold. I'd say read ALL of the google reviews before going to a dealership if it's one you are not familiar with, so you can make an informed decision.

Obviously you're right, some things can be easily troubleshot and repaired on your own if you are competent, have the right tools, experience & diagnostic software. It depends on your skillset & experience.

However, if you try to diagnose, troubleshoot & repair something that is beyond your knowledge base, skillset & experience, without the proper tools/software (like a lot of people do) they can do more harm then good and wind up costing themselves a lot more money, then if they had just went to a competent dealership right away, with all of the proper diagnostic software, tools & certified mechanics.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-03-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Member
Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47 Points: 5,503, Level: 47
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 157k
Posts: 80
I wish I had a single Jeep dealership experience across this entire country that allowed me to share a glimmer of your faith, Blue. I really do.

On the other hand, I have 2 independent shops I would trust with my families safety in a heartbeat, neither of which are where I currently live.

I'll take mine in to the dealer for key/computer issues after it's already been diagnosed by another shop or myself. Money well spent, in my opinion.
Aerogt01 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
 
Dadwagon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Asheville
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 130000
Posts: 5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Thanks for the write-up @Dadwagon85 . Glad you got the problem fixed. You say you were in SC. Did you by any chance go to Myrtle Beach?

.
Thanks! Still all good to date. No we were actually in Hunting Island, closer to Georgia. Beautiful place to camp!
Dadwagon85 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,235, Level: 93 Points: 23,235, Level: 93 Points: 23,235, Level: 93
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
 
Big Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Coast of Florida
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Posts: 5,320
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
I wish I had a single Jeep dealership experience across this entire country that allowed me to share a glimmer of your faith, Blue. I really do.

On the other hand, I have 2 independent shops I would trust with my families safety in a heartbeat, neither of which are where I currently live.

I'll take mine in to the dealer for key/computer issues after it's already been diagnosed by another shop or myself. Money well spent, in my opinion.
Well fortunately @Aerogt01 , I have had several good experiences, once I found the right dealership. Finding a good reliable dealership is the key.

Good, reliable FCA Dealerships are not Unicorns, they do exist. You just have to do your homework, which might entail traveling a little further than you would like to. It doesn't even have to be a dealership, an honest, competent & reliable independent shop is just as good.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-03-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Big Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome